Asus N56U Singtel Presets

powervault

Reaction score
Recently I applied for singtel 100mbps fibre plan. Using RT-N56U with version 3.0.0.4.342. Whenever I do a Singtel speedtest, speed is fine. When I try to do a speedtest on speedtest.net, sometimes cant even load the webpage properly. When I do manage to carry out the test, i get like 20 down 10 up.

When I swapped back to my pace, it goes up to 40down 20 up. But singtel speedtest is about 101 down 55up. Probably having issues with firmware 3.0.0.4.342 or there is something just wrong with singtel backend.

I noticed that whenever i do an extended ping, there is significant packet loss. This didnt occur when I used my pace.

BTW, i'm from bishan area. Might be isolated to a few areas if its singtel issue.

Yakumo

Reaction score
Recently I applied for singtel 100mbps fibre plan. Using RT-N56U with version 3.0.0.4.342. Whenever I do a Singtel speedtest, speed is fine. When I try to do a speedtest on speedtest.net, sometimes cant even load the webpage properly. When I do manage to carry out the test, i get like 20 down 10 up.

When I swapped back to my pace, it goes up to 40down 20 up. But singtel speedtest is about 101 down 55up. Probably having issues with firmware 3.0.0.4.342 or there is something just wrong with singtel backend.

I noticed that whenever i do an extended ping, there is significant packet loss. This didnt occur when I used my pace.

BTW, i'm from bishan area. Might be isolated to a few areas if its singtel issue.

I have managed to pinpoint the cause of my problem. It's the DNS server that's causing the issue. It appears that my recent change to Comodo/Norton DNS is what causes the performance impact. Things went smoothly after I changed back to Google Open DNS :s13:

Guess I must choose between security and performance.. Well a few more experiments should show the way. The interesting thing I had noticed is that after changing to Google DNS, my D/L speed went back to 50Mbps but my U/L speed drop a little to 22Mbps.. what gives? :s11:

Anyway you should give Google DNS a try too as well, just follow the instructions on this link:
Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
I have managed to pinpoint the cause of my problem. It's the DNS server that's causing the issue. It appears that my recent change to Comodo/Norton DNS is what causes the performance impact. Things went smoothly after I changed back to Google Open DNS :s13:

Guess I must choose between security and performance.. Well a few more experiments should show the way. The interesting thing I had noticed is that after changing to Google DNS, my D/L speed went back to 50Mbps but my U/L speed drop a little to 22Mbps.. what gives? :s11:

Anyway you should give Google DNS a try too as well, just follow the instructions on this link:
Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7

Question is why isn't you are using SingNet DNS?

Yakumo

Reaction score
I changed to Google DNS even before switching to fibre since it provide faster speed, then Norton/Comodo for security purpose. Will test the speed of SingNet DNS at a later time

WiLsOnLiAo

Reaction score
After Maintenance

I'm currently using ASUS N56U with padavan firmware 3.0.3.5-055. Using fibre 200mbps plan. I've had no problems until the maintenance by Singtel a few days ago. The connection became horribly slow. 1-3 mbps download with 'error' on upload on direct connection.

I've found a way to solve this by first connecting it into the standard black 2wire router, wait for the 'service' light to come on, then switch it back to the ASUS router. However, I need to do this every time I restart the connection. Have anyone else experienced this? Need some help.

feintan

Reaction score
I'm currently using ASUS N56U with padavan firmware 3.0.3.5-055. Using fibre 200mbps plan. I've had no problems until the maintenance by Singtel a few days ago. The connection became horribly slow. 1-3 mbps download with 'error' on upload on direct connection.

I've found a way to solve this by first connecting it into the standard black 2wire router, wait for the 'service' light to come on, then switch it back to the ASUS router. However, I need to do this every time I restart the connection. Have anyone else experienced this? Need some help.

I think singnet is trying ways and means to force their user to use their pace.

WiLsOnLiAo

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem? I can't be the only one who uses 3rd party routers. I just want to find out if Singtel truly is trying to enforce their 2wire router or I could tweak my settings to get around this problem.

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score

jacobs

Reaction score
After I upgrade to the latest firmware (Version 3.0.0.4.360), realise that the Singtel preset was gone!

How do you set it ?

liulangzi

Reaction score
After I upgrade to the latest firmware (Version 3.0.0.4.360), realise that the Singtel preset was gone!

How do you set it ?

If you do a reset or just upgrade your firmware, upon login, on the quick internet setup --> There is a check box on the below, something like "require special ISP requirements", when checked, you can then configure the preset profile.

Else you can try in Advance Settings --> LAN --> IPTV --> Select ISP Profile

jacobs

Reaction score
If you do a reset or just upgrade your firmware, upon login, on the quick internet setup --> There is a check box on the below, something like "require special ISP requirements", when checked, you can then configure the preset profile.

Else you can try in Advance Settings --> LAN --> IPTV --> Select ISP Profile

Thank you!

bratpig

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am unable to use mio voice for some strange reason. It was okay previously

ONT
|
RT-N56U
|-----> LAN Port 1 -----> Internet
|-----> LAN Port 2 -----> Internet
|-----> LAN Port 3 -----> SingTel 2Wire-----> Voice
|-----> LAN Port 4 -----> MIO TV STB

Using stock Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.360

I have tried copying the MAC address from the 2wire to the asus.

Anybody has any solutions please?

Thank you

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score
You should first connect back ONT--->SingTel 2Wire---> Voice to confirm whether miovoice is working.....

bratpig

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You should first connect back ONT--->SingTel 2Wire---> Voice to confirm whether miovoice is working.....

Hi ngbc,

I have confirmed that mio voice is working. It's unusable after I connected back to asus

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score

bratpig

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

soufigo

Reaction score
Exciting updates for SingTel Fiber 2x MIO TV users using ASUS Black Diamond Routers. It's possible to configure your VLAN to allow LAN port 3 and 4 to hook up 2x MIO TV STB via a beta firmware update

ASUS RT-56U
~ not released yet
ASUS RT-N66U ~ refer to this thread post and download link
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/74758523-post980.html
ASUS RT-AC66U ~ not released yet

I will report when i have more updates

I managed to get 2 MIOtv STBs working on my asus n56u using latest Padavan firmware.

My setup looks like this

ONT
|
Asus N56U
|---->lan port 1 not in use
|---->lan port 2 not in use
|---->lan port 3----> Miotv STB 1 ( living room)
|---->lan port 4----> home plug---->home plug----> Miotv STB 2 ( MBR )

there are 2 issues however and I was hoping someone was able to help me out. I tried turning on both set top boxes on different channels for some time. both seems to be working fine and able to change channels.

problem 1) when turning on both set top box there will be a lag ( video and audio stutter for a moment) before everything goes back to normal. sometimes need to change channels before they go back to normal.

problem 2) whenever I turn off 1 of the STBs, the other one will be disconnected. however, this can be solved by making it go to standby and ON again on the affected STB. there is no reconnecting like when u plug out the adapter. it turns on instantly and from then on I can watch normally. problem will happen only when 2 STBs are ON at the same time and 1 of them is turned off.

I wouldn't consider this a major problem as I think that I am heading in the right direction and at least I don't have to rely on the Pace router or a switch just because I have 2 STBs. however, it would be ideal if I can eliminate these small issues and would appreciate any form of guidance.

I am not very well versed in this area and I apologise if my explanation is hard to understand

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.