[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

schemanetdrive

Reaction score
Need help here.
I got an old 1010+, just bought 5x3tb RedWD, downloaded latest .pat
Wat I did so far....
-Plug in all drives, Nas will not not boot to beep.
-Remove 4 drives, Nas boot to beep, using SynAssist to setup,then got exception error during format.
-I assume DSM failed install cos this drive will not boot to beep.
-Repeat with various combo of DSM options....now all drive cannot boot to beep, Nas will boot to beep only without drive.
now exploring how to prep drive to restart.

Any help?

It is a case of bad ram, the 1gb DDR 667 ram was no good, ditched it and I am humming along.
The UI is so beautiful, I am coming over from the Readynas camp.

schemanetdrive

Reaction score
Can someone help me here? I tried to write a Synology noob guide, but then I realize there is so much shiat on a Synology NAS that one has to cover. Anyone got any idea what I should try to cover with the guide? Nothing to overwhelm a Synology noob?

Write it like a quick start guide but with more details, step by step especially the initial setup and plenty of screenshots please.
Explanation of choices available i.e. SHR or Raid5 etc.

Necessary steps like create users, shares to make the NAS usable.
Recommended package to install (essential and optional).

A simple rundown on the control panel is also welcome.

Since most newbies are home user, photo, music, video and camera are the target uses, cover some paragraphs on them.

Then finally poison newbies to buy more toys like streamers, IPcams etc.
:s13:

domain

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Need your help and advice.
My current setup
M1 Fibre Optic Plan
Terminal Huawei Echolife HG8240 -> Huawei Router HG256 Home Gateway

My Synology DS213 connects to my Huawei Router

My desktop connects to the router through a Aztech Homeplug AV 200 Mbps

Data writing and transfer is horrible - a small excel file will take 10 to 15 secs.

Please advise.

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
I am having similar problem. My new DS213J is connected to aztech home plug 500 Mbps and I performed NAS Performance Tester with only 8mb/s. My read is only 2 to 5mb/s. I cannot imagine read is slower than write. I have not tested LAN connection, maybe tonight when I have the time. Anyone with home plug connection can share their experience?

Looking forward to a newbie guide. I need to transfer my dlink based data over to my synology nas. Don't know how to SSH.

Hi Everyone
My current setup
M1 Fibre Optic Plan

Data writing and transfer is horrible - a small excel file will take 10 to 15 secs.

Please advise.

JAson1980

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Geez, i am running this dinosaur router. Aztech wl852rt4-t Aztech Singapore

Currently i am accessing my NAS using my com. No idea on how to set the NAS up and how to configure that dinosaur router.
Anyone got a step by step idiot proof guide to share?

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
My current setup
M1 Fibre Optic Plan

Please advise.

I am having similar problem. My new DS213J is connected to aztech home plug 500 Mbps and I performed NAS Performance Tester with only 8mb/s. My read is only 2 to 5mb/s. I cannot imagine read is slower than write. I have not tested LAN connection, maybe tonight when I have the time. Anyone with home plug connection can share their experience?

Looking forward to a newbie guide. I need to transfer my dlink based data over to my synology nas. Don't know how to SSH.

Both: hmm.. do a test directly to the router instead of the homeplug.

To Slowdown: copy and paste via Windows, if SSH is difficult.

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Geez, i am running this dinosaur router. Aztech wl852rt4-t Aztech Singapore

Currently i am accessing my NAS using my com. No idea on how to set the NAS up and how to configure that dinosaur router.
Anyone got a step by step idiot proof guide to share?

go to Synology site.

IMO, there is nothing much to setup if your NAS is just a pure storage bank.

superamd

Reaction score
Finally got myself a 713+ with 3TB RED
Manage to it working yesterday with Serviio installed. :) Cant get Plex to stream movies tho.. must be some setting problem.

Tonight shall try out remote access

thamwm

Reaction score
Remote backup

Hi Bros,

I have just bought a DS413. Please advise which is the most efficient way to backup my photos while i'm in overseas?

Tham

keat84

Reaction score
Anyone can recommend a Link Aggregation compatible router? that below 100 buck? and gigabit capable?

TopCat_52

Master Member
Reaction score
Super pissed with myself for "upgrading" this to this useless piece of junk synology 213j. Previously on Dlink DNS320L which was working perfectly but decided to get a synology after all the hype

Problems:
1) the nas NEVER fails to hang during large file transfers. I use acronis backup & recovery 11.5 to image my drive on the nas but after 1hr the nas WILL hang. always.
2) Using copy and paste the nas also will hang midway after 1 hour of copying
3) when the nas is working fine maybe say 5 mins after boot up, it will hang at the rebooting stage when i reboot through dsm4.2 interface.
Also always never fails to hang during reboot. Blue power led can blink for 1 hr but nothing happen. Replicated issue 10x also same
4)Surveillance station keeps disconnecting from camera feed. I can have another browser open to the camera feed and it will be 100% but this synology junk will d/c after ~20mins always
5) Write speed avg 30mb/s write on WD red, but my dlink DNS320L using hitachi hd avgs 60mb/s write

Vulpix

Reaction score
Super pissed with myself for "upgrading" this to this useless piece of junk synology 213j. Previously on Dlink DNS320L which was working perfectly but decided to get a synology after all the hype

Problems:
1) the nas NEVER fails to hang during large file transfers. I use acronis backup & recovery 11.5 to image my drive on the nas but after 1hr the nas WILL hang. always.
2) Using copy and paste the nas also will hang midway after 1 hour of copying
3) when the nas is working fine maybe say 5 mins after boot up, it will hang at the rebooting stage when i reboot through dsm4.2 interface.
Also always never fails to hang during reboot. Blue power led can blink for 1 hr but nothing happen. Replicated issue 10x also same
4)Surveillance station keeps disconnecting from camera feed. I can have another browser open to the camera feed and it will be 100% but this synology junk will d/c after ~20mins always
5) Write speed avg 30mb/s write on WD red, but my dlink DNS320L using hitachi hd avgs 60mb/s write

Sounds like your unit is faulty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.