How many times of Driving Tests (TP) you took to pass? - Part 2

How many times of Driving Tests (TP) you took to pass?

• 1 time :o

Votes: 1,446 58.3%
  • 2 times :)

Votes: 577 23.3%
  • 3 times :(

Votes: 260 10.5%
  • 4 times :sad:

Votes: 90 3.6%
  • 5 times

Votes: 38 1.5%
  • 6 or more times

Votes: 68 2.7%

• Total voters

andrewkang

Reaction score
Hi, my private instructor told me that I need to buy a $210 package for circuit driving lessons. Just to check is this the correct practice?

Niot true...for circuit training you need to pay to your pdi another $30 for using the circuit on top of the normal rate that he charge you. ie $42 for 90 mins ..means instead of $42, u pay $72..

Hope this clarify your doubt..:s22:

andrewkang

Reaction score
Uhm... Approximately how long does it take for the photo-card license to arrive from mail? What happens if nobody is at home to collect? Thanks!!!

For me, takes about 16 days...my photocard is ready in two weeks..then need a few days of delivery...you can go to Singapore Police website to check whether your photocard is ready...:)

hammee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you mean you will get demerit points for that? I have been doing this all along while driving my company lorry and family car....this is what every drivers are doing on the road...should be fine...
Like I said for the sake of test... do it the proper way. After pass ... can do whatever you want.

LordKuroda

Reaction score
For those who have passed their TP at SSDC, would like to clarify on how do you guys gauge whether your car will strike kerb as you are about to move out from the parallel parking lot? That was how I failed my first TP, I strike the kerb twice for parallel parking while reversing and moving out.

This is hard because every parallel parking that I do will somehow end up in a different position, hence making the kerb hard to see and such. Any useful advice? Would appreciate any input! My TP is on this Tuesday btw, thanks so much! :D

Last edited:

hellight

Reaction score
For those who have passed their TP at SSDC, would like to clarify on how do you guys gauge whether your car will strike kerb as you are about to move out from the parallel parking lot? That was how I failed my first TP, I strike the kerb twice for parallel parking while reversing and moving out.

This is hard because every parallel parking that I do will somehow end up in a different position, hence making the kerb hard to see and such. Any useful advice? Would appreciate any input! My TP is on this Tuesday btw, thanks so much! :D

MOVING OFF
I do not know your parking style, but be sure that everytime when you about to move off, you should try reverse the car abit, perhaps near the back kerb but not hitting it. Then immediately when your car starts movement (1st gear or 'D'), turn full lock wheel to the right quickly.

REVERSING
To prevent hitting back curb, you can adjust your mirror until you can see your back wheel(s). But be sure to adjust back after moving out.

XxlwAteRzlxX

Master Member
Reaction score
got question guys, my private instructor just requested another $15 on top of my $20 booking fees, claims that CDC now charges additional 15 for circuit on test date, true/false ?

andrewkang

Reaction score
got question guys, my private instructor just requested another $15 on top of my $20 booking fees, claims that CDC now charges additional 15 for circuit on test date, true/false ?

I dont think so..but under private instructor for TP have to fork out $200 at least for rental of circuit use etc etc....for the $15 extra..you better check out with cdc before you give money to yr pdi.

andrewkang

Reaction score
MOVING OFF
I do not know your parking style, but be sure that everytime when you about to move off, you should try reverse the car abit, perhaps near the back kerb but not hitting it. Then immediately when your car starts movement (1st gear or 'D'), turn full lock wheel to the right quickly.

REVERSING
To prevent hitting back curb, you can adjust your mirror until you can see your back wheel(s). But be sure to adjust back after moving out.

ok...for real life situation, do you use the 45 degree for parallel parking?imagine in verasamy rd(mustafa area) there is one parallel parking empty slot between two parked vehicles..how u gauge yr car to prevent hitting the front n back car? sometime when u see the side mirror it looks like your car is hitting the behind car..but in reality there is still some gap...

blade39

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i just pass my TP on 4th June 2013 with 18 points, it is my 4th attempt, LOL.

blade39

Master Member
Reaction score
I wanna ask for manual... when you come to a complete stop, do you downshift or switch to neutral and brake till stop?

If u are on the 3 or 4 gear, and u have the time to downshift, u can downshift to 2 gear (so tester know you applying engine brake) b4 u come to a stop.

But what i normally do when i am on 3 or 4 gear is to step on brake first to slow down, clutch in when coming to a stop, and than step brake again to stop completely.

I dont know about SSDC, I took my test at CDC. Just to share with you, for parallel parking at CDC, the car cannot move out on one try, the left front wheel sure will strike kerb.

What i suggest to you is, when you are ready to move out, slowly reverse your vehicle (looking at the right mirror, should be able to see your back right wheel), stop b4 hitting the kerb.

Now, u should have ample space at the front, but still cant move out in one go. Gear 1 n full turn right, slowly accelerate, when ur car is abt 45 degree, half of the bonnet should be outside the lot, u should be able to feel that the left front wheel is abt to hit the kerb when u practice alot, stop completely.

Reverse, 4 turn left, after that 1 gear and full turn right, accelerate and you will be out of the lot already.

Remember, the key is to do it slowly!!! So u have more time to react b4 you wheel strike kerb.

lousydk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok...for real life situation, do you use the 45 degree for parallel parking?imagine in verasamy rd(mustafa area) there is one parallel parking empty slot between two parked vehicles..how u gauge yr car to prevent hitting the front n back car? sometime when u see the side mirror it looks like your car is hitting the behind car..but in reality there is still some gap...

reverse sensor :s13::s13::s13:
if you ask me to judge distance from the car behind using rear or side mirror, i dont think i can do it

andrewkang

Reaction score
If u are on the 3 or 4 gear, and u have the time to downshift, u can downshift to 2 gear (so tester know you applying engine brake) b4 u come to a stop.

But what i normally do when i am on 3 or 4 gear is to step on brake first to slow down, clutch in when coming to a stop, and than step brake again to stop completely.

I dont know about SSDC, I took my test at CDC. Just to share with you, for parallel parking at CDC, the car cannot move out on one try, the left front wheel sure will strike kerb.

What i suggest to you is, when you are ready to move out, slowly reverse your vehicle (looking at the right mirror, should be able to see your back right wheel), stop b4 hitting the kerb.

Now, u should have ample space at the front, but still cant move out in one go. Gear 1 n full turn right, slowly accelerate, when ur car is abt 45 degree, half of the bonnet should be outside the lot, u should be able to feel that the left front wheel is abt to hit the kerb when u practice alot, stop completely.

Reverse, 4 turn left, after that 1 gear and full turn right, accelerate and you will be out of the lot already.

Remember, the key is to do it slowly!!! So u have more time to react b4 you wheel strike kerb.

I also took my TP in CDC. actually for parallel parking, i only need to reverse one time when moving out. first reverse till back wheel nearly touch back kerb. Once u done that, you have ample space to move out.You can move out in one go if you reverse good enough while nearing touching the back kerb. Do look at side mirror(right) to make sure ur back wheel dont hit back kerb. After reverse, full turn right,in gear 1, chk for oncoming traffic. Once clear, signal right,step gas and move out.

For stopping of vehicle, simple. when you are in 3rd gear, shift to neutral and clutch+brake. Your vehicle will slowly come to a stop before the pedestrian crossing in a traffic junction.

My tips may be different from blade39 but i only get 2 pts for turning steering while vehicle stationery.

Hope my advice helps.

andrewkang

Reaction score
reverse sensor :s13::s13::s13:
if you ask me to judge distance from the car behind using rear or side mirror, i dont think i can do it

Too bad my family car and company lorry dun have reverse sensor. thats why only can do vertical parking with lorry cos is company property..cannot anyhow laga other parked vehicle.:s22:

onlinehero

Reaction score
i guess its time to give back after lurking here for months.

well i had my first attempt in march this year and failed horribly with 42 points. :eek:
tester's name was benedict ng. googled his name right after the test only to find out how (in)famous he was. Though partly was my fault of striking kerb (10 pts) along with other minor mistakes which i genuinely made, i felt the other points were unjustified. oh well, LLST and booked another test date:(

second attempt was yesterday (14june) at CDC, 9.15am
After warmup at 7-830am, went into the waiting room at about 855. was the first among the lot to be called out at about 905am.

He never took out his tablet all the while in circuit, until when we were doing vertical parking which i assumed only then was my first demerit point earned.
Finished the circuit part of the test at about 920am, which means bus lane was still operating. No biggie, since my test route only involved one stretch of road with bus lanes. Was about to turn left from a filter lane when he mentioned something like "overshot already la" and i was like *sh1t*. quickly apologized and continued with the test route. He mentioned to go straight at one point and i thought, can filter to the right after the traffic light to avoid going into the expressway. He repeated a few times (only later i realised he was hinting at me to start filtering right). Was red light, had to stop, thats when he started scolding. I had the urge to tell him that i did not filter right as of yet since i think it would constitute as road hogging. but then i remembered what i read here that never to argue with tester so i just kept saying sorry sir and went on with the test.

next was u turn and going back to the test centre. no problems here except for "failing to give signal" which i did, just a bit late as it was a last minute decision to overtake. reached the test centre for debrief and my mind was completely blank. just waited there for him to print and when he invited me into the room i quietly peeked at the slip and counted the points. he reprimanded me for the mistakes i made. wanted to argue but then i already counted the points (12) and had already passed. so no point arguing. just acknowledged my mistakes and thank him. had to hold back my smile and all my joy when he was telling me about my mistakes (wanted to burst out laughing hahaha)

so to future testees, just remember that never argue with the tester and always acknowledge his instructions (yes sir) and apologize for any mistakes (sorry sir)

P/S: sorry for the very long post :o :D

Farisworld

Reaction score
i guess its time to give back after lurking here for months.

well i had my first attempt in march this year and failed horribly with 42 points. :eek:
tester's name was benedict ng. googled his name right after the test only to find out how (in)famous he was. Though partly was my fault of striking kerb (10 pts) along with other minor mistakes which i genuinely made, i felt the other points were unjustified. oh well, LLST and booked another test date:(

Benedict was my tester when I took my TP last time. I have to say he is very strict and arrogant. Google his name with CDC and you can find lots of thing about him. But thankfully, after much scolding from him during debrief, he still gave me a pass at first try. =:p

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally can come here show face.

SSDC - 1st attempt - 18 pts

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you got the skills, then I think TP is more or less about luck liao. See what type of tester you get.

For me I very Heng. Got a Malay tester, didnt talk much other than giving instructions. I didn't do small talk also, just yes sir only. Thank god he didnt take out the tablet, but he did remember all the major mistakes I did

Yes I did screw up. He say left I turn right. Bobian my mistake, just apologise while he kan me on the spot. Though my narrow courses and parking all swee swee but I strike kerb during parking once cos impatient.

I think my saving grace was the fact I emphasized on safety. I did all my safety check and blind spots. And the fact I am confident on the road since I ride bike everyday. U-turn, change lane all swee swee, car didnt stall once etc.

To be honest, if I tio those strict tester, I think i probably fail the moment i make the wrong turn liao.

Good luck to those still learning. Master the basics plus safety sure can pass la.

Ps: btw there's this aunty in the same session as me taking her 6th TP I think. All the SSDC instructors and some of the testers know her by name liao. Over heard the record at ssdc is 10 times wor. And she passed! So don't give up

SMB75U

Reaction score
If you got the skills, then I think TP is more or less about luck liao. See what type of tester you get.

For me I very Heng. Got a Malay tester, didnt talk much other than giving instructions. I didn't do small talk also, just yes sir only. Thank god he didnt take out the tablet, but he did remember all the major mistakes I did

Yes I did screw up. He say left I turn right. Bobian my mistake, just apologise while he kan me on the spot. Though my narrow courses and parking all swee swee but I strike kerb during parking once cos impatient.

I think my saving grace was the fact I emphasized on safety. I did all my safety check and blind spots. And the fact I am confident on the road since I ride bike everyday. U-turn, change lane all swee swee, car didnt stall once etc.

To be honest, if I tio those strict tester, I think i probably fail the moment i make the wrong turn liao.

Good luck to those still learning. Master the basics plus safety sure can pass la.

Ps: btw there's this aunty in the same session as me taking her 6th TP I think. All the SSDC instructors and some of the testers know her by name liao. Over heard the record at ssdc is 10 times wor. And she passed! So don't give up

Item-wise how many mistake did you have?

I have 7 mistakes on my test date, 10 points for striking kerb, 6(X2) for failing to slow down for hazards, rest was 2 pointers which included turning steering wheel when stationary + incorrect checking of blind spot and incorrect braking. I am from BBDC and my tester was Dennis Ho KC.

I do hope I can do better in the next attempt.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.