[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrionTuition

Banned
Reaction score
Just bought DS213j with 2 WD Reds. Installed enabled JF 9000 and backup my files over it, also configured it as time machine target. Impressed, its actually very fast!

Haven't installed any packages on it, only enabled AFS, WFS and time machine. But realised that the HDD don't seem to go into hibernation even though nothing is accessing it. In fact, pulled the cat5e from the NAS but still hear the HDD spinning?

How do i verify whether the HDD is still spinning or went into hibernation?

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Just bought DS213j with 2 WD Reds. Installed enabled JF 9000 and backup my files over it, also configured it as time machine target. Impressed, its actually very fast!

Haven't installed any packages on it, only enabled AFS, WFS and time machine. But realised that the HDD don't seem to go into hibernation even though nothing is accessing it. In fact, pulled the cat5e from the NAS but still hear the HDD spinning?

Hmm... for 1512+ the status led will be off. I dont knowif the same is for 213j

ericmar

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to configure the D-link DCM-604 cable modem/router to work with Synology DS213j? This cable modem/router is not in the router list and is recognized as wrong model when I did an auto searching in DSM. It wasnt able to pass the EX-Internet wizard as well.
Now I am unable to enter from external network to control the NAS...

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score

omnilancer

Reaction score
DS213J file transfer speeds get throttled? Transferring files into and out of the diskstation is really slow.

I get 100mb/s for a few seconds, then suddenly drop to a flat 10mb/s.

Anyone knows why?

OrionTuition

Banned
Reaction score
DS213J file transfer speeds get throttled? Transferring files into and out of the diskstation is really slow.

Anyone knows why?

something must be wrong. i've been able to get sustained 70-100MBps
try using jumbo frame

SGJoe86

Reaction score

DS213j goes into standby mode with only the "LAN" LED lighted up; the other 3 LEDs will not be lighted.
Can't remember the default value, probably after 15 to 20 minutes of no activity then it will go into standby mode.

midustouch

Reaction score

Anyone knows why?

This has something to do with either the switch, network card on the machine you're connecting to the NAS from or a combination of both.

The consumer grade switches have a very low switching capacity.

The may also be interoperability issues between your computers NIC card and the switch.

I'd start with the switch frankly.

jojo123

Reaction score
Does anyone here know what is the problem when my DS213J keep shutting down on its own?
Its ramdon. I checked system log, it only say system counting down to shutdown.

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
Just bought DS213J with one 3TB WD Red. I am getting very disappointing result using the NAS Performance Tester.

My results are:
NAS performance tester 1.4 NAS performance tester (C# and VB.Net)
Running warmup...
Running a 100MB file write on drive Z: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 9.95 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 10.65 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 11.62 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 11.75 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 11.76 MB/sec
------------------------------
Average (W): 11.14 MB/sec
Running a 100MB file read on drive Z: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 11.83 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 11.83 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 11.83 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 11.83 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 11.83 MB/sec
Average (R): 11.83 MB/sec

I used an old router and connected my laptop with the NAS. I am not expecting heavenly speed but the above looked very low. I am wondering if I configured the NAS correctly.

Appreciate if anyone can guide me through the process to get a better transfer speed. I don't intend to change any hardware but I would expect that the speed to be at least 20MB and above. Am I expecting too much?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bought DS213J with one 3TB WD Red. I am getting very disappointing result using the NAS Performance Tester.

I used an old router and connected my laptop with the NAS. I am not expecting heavenly speed but the above looked very low. I am wondering if I configured the NAS correctly.

Appreciate if anyone can guide me through the process to get a better transfer speed. I don't intend to change any hardware but I would expect that the speed to be at least 20MB and above. Am I expecting too much?

How are you connecting between the host you are performance the test with the NAS ? Using Cat 5e and above cable all the way, or using WiFi ?

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
That is correct. I don't plan to use 1Gbps ethernet as I am planning to use homeplugs. I am gettin 8MB/s with homeplug and today tested the transfer speed by setting up a dedicated router and LAN connection. Is this my maximum transfer speed?

that speed looks like you're connected via 100Mbps ethernet or wifi, not 1Gbps ethernet...

dragonics

Reaction score
While wired to Singtel adsl 10/100 router modem , I can achieve 9MB/s.

With wired to GBE, I can achieve average 50MB/s for my DS213J.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is correct. I don't plan to use 1Gbps ethernet as I am planning to use homeplugs. I am gettin 8MB/s with homeplug and today tested the transfer speed by setting up a dedicated router and LAN connection. Is this my maximum transfer speed?

If you are not using 1Gbps ethernet and only 100Mbps, obviously the network is the bottleneck isn't it ? 100Mbps ~ 12MBps only.

Dexter71

Reaction score
Guys

When we say we achieve xxx MB/s on your nas, do we look at Network or Disk read/write speed under resource monitor ?

Network I m getting 20-30 Mbps n disk write about 100-200 Mbps on my 1513+

Thx

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys

When we say we achieve xxx MB/s on your nas, do we look at Network or Disk read/write speed under resource monitor ?

Network I m getting 20-30 Mbps n disk write about 100-200 Mbps on my 1513+

Thx

For sustained transfer throughput, both the network and disk should be roughly the same unless you have a highly compressible file and you are using applications that support compression to transfer files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.