Blue Chip Investment Plan (BCIP) by OCBC

limitation

Master Member
Reaction score
Who's going to sign up for this plan? Can accumulate blue chip stocks over time, by putting min $100 mthly..

Link here

Last edited:

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
they nv state dividend how to divide. also like many fees for per counter siaz. $80++

Some-one

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Who's going to sign up for this plan? Can accumulate blue chip stocks over time, by putting min $100 mthly..

Link here
This is not a new concept. It is also known as dollar cost averaging. Basically, if you put in $100 per month, you can buy more when the stock price is lower and buy less when the stock price is higher. However, I don't really subscribe to it. One should just buy as many shares when the price is lower than its intrinsic value and don't touch it when it becomes over priced.

chyn_no

Reaction score
seems good but the fee and charges.... hopefully if there's a lower fee in future

Carnesir

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have my own share builder plan. No need kena charge fees by them.

Scb trading fees still the lowest in my opinion but share building plan is good for those who wan to buy in equities at low levels

Wood4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These are not for most of us here with battle chest .

Ocbc does not give free lunch .

Dividends Warrior

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some people asked DW why he never buy STI etf.

Allow DW to tell a story while he is waiting for his lunch to arrive.:)

One day, DW felt like eating ice-cream. He went to an ice-cream store called "STI etf". Before DW can place his order, the store owner scoop a little bit of all 30 different flavors and put them in a big cup.

DW said, "but I dun want all 30 flavors......I only like certain flavors :("

So, he went to another ice-cream store called "D.IY."

This time DW asked the owner whether he can choose his favorite flavors. The owner agreed.

So, DW happily choose his favorite flavors, strawberry (Singtel), mint (starhub), orange (M1). The owner asked, "what is this ice-cream called?"

DW replied with a big smile, "I call this 'Power of CD' ice-cream":D

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice story, DW.

Except one thing. There are some people who do prefer to have all 30 flavours (ever tried Swesen's Earthquake?)

So at the end of the day. As with many things in life (girls, teams, food, watch, and investment), its all depends on your 'taste' (investment objectives)

slurpy0099

Reaction score
We can buy keppeland using this plan by Ocbc but we cannot do so via the cheap brokerage from Scb if monthly investment is only $200, right?

And the keppeland bought using Ocbc blur chip will be in odd lots right?

Carnesir

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We can buy keppeland using this plan by Ocbc but we cannot do so via the cheap brokerage from Scb if monthly investment is only $200, right?

And the keppeland bought using Ocbc blur chip will be in odd lots right?
Dun think so. But I think rule of thumb is that if battle chest is not significant then this might be good after all.

As per all trades, might need to do your own cost benefit analysis before committing to the trade

Fibonacci236

Banned
Reaction score
good for those who has lower capital to invest ,
relatively our local blue chips are more stable .

but i would prefer buying into STI ETF then going into this ( BCIP )

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice story, DW.

Except one thing. There are some people who do prefer to have all 30 flavours (ever tried Swesen's Earthquake?)

So at the end of the day. As with many things in life (girls, teams, food, watch, and investment), its all depends on your 'taste' (investment objectives)

Earthquake? Try the other version which is Firehouse Happy Birthday which is served on your birthday. Complete with a huge fire on top.

Sadly Swensen's don't serve the original Firehouse anymore. What we get now is a watered down 5 scoops with candle on top.

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually there exists an STI ETF for those with lower capital. The Nikko AM STI ETF. One lot is 100 instead of 1000. So this good for those who are starting out.

Dividends Warrior

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice story, DW.

True. That's why Rojak is one of Singapore's famous delicacies. :D

WindBoi

Reaction score
A plan like this for STI ETF is good.

For most people that you know, there are many barriers to investing

1) limited capital
2) lack of knowledge on portfolio allocation
3) lack of expertise in individual asset selection

I get a lot of mails asking how to actually get started.

For most people to circumvent this. Such a plan has a lot of advantage

1) passively managed vs active management ensures you don't lag the market
2) low capital hurdle ensures a systematic "forced saving" - Pay yourself first
3) (2) averages out the cost and better manages average investor psychological anxiety in case of "large plunges wiping out large portions of capital"
4) a systematic manner for the average folk to grow together with the progress of the country
5) low cost ensures that costs are minimized and don't compound for a negative manner
6) dividend versus growth portfolios mean reverts and if your portfolio is heavy tilted in a certain portion you will lag the market
7) passive dollar cost average ensures you do not missed out the best 10 days of the market, which is usually where the bulk of the performance is
8) the time free up from consistently monitor your portfolio of stocks, market trends, fretting over how to invest excess capital, where to allocate them, whether it is the right time to add or sell can be better spend to concentrate on your job to earn a much better salary and to watch your children grow up

If the cost is low this will be a pretty good plan.

EDIT: I realise the minimum commission to buy and sell is 0.3% or $5 whichever is higher.

$5 is very expensive consider if a person would like to Dollar cost average $100. His commission will be 5%!

Last edited:

Bull&Bear

Master Member
Reaction score
Swensen's earthquake also got people who tell u they want to choose flavours and also toppings.. :s13::s22:

Nice story, DW.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.