The Hair Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_flame

Reaction score
Hey dude post a comparision of HDF scheme cream vs spongewax. Seems like HDF is quite well-received on HWZ.

keechiu

Reaction score
tumblr_mlgq29WANZ1r65bg6o1_500.jpg

For this hairstyle, wonder how they make the pomp so voluminous. I think it's the hair genetics + skill.
I try with hdf scheme cream and sea salt spray. Eventually will flop. I think my sides the undercut too long. Need to get my hair stylist to make it shorter at the sides and the back. Leaving the top and front longer.

Maybe tmr trying using sponge wax and sea salt spray see can get this effect anot.

In order to keep have this hairstyle the fringe must be over eyebrown length right?

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In order to keep have this hairstyle the fringe must be over eyebrown length right?
Yup. But also see how high is your forehead. You can see the model hair tend to curl a little backwards in order to have the quiff effect. This one really need skills to blow and this style won't last the entire day in our weather

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
as requested, the review of Hanz De Fuko Scheme Cream and Sponge Wax.

Scheme Cream.
This is the first HDF product i got it via amazon because i can't seem to find it in Singapore at that point of time. How i knew about the scheme cream is via a youtube channel while i was looking on how to style a quiff. Came across the slikharr youtube channel and a combination of sea salt spray and scheme cream is being used to style a mens quiff.
As stated on the HDF website, it can be used as a leave on conditioner or as styling product. The product itself is soft and kinda smells like butter. Best to use it on dry hair. It actually makes your hair feel soft and smooth thru out the day, very natural looking with a little shine, it's like nothing is being used to style your hair. I used it with sea salt spray and usually used to style the slick side comb for work. It remains pliable thru out the day. The hold wise its so-so only. When the wind blows against your hair style direction, your hair might flop but all you need to do is run your fingers thru your hair, the style is back up again. I recommend to use it for natural looking side or back comb, not really for wild or spikey hair style. As for quiff, you must either have really good hair genetics like the Caucasians does or you're in a less humid country.
Do not use hairspray after using this product because it doesn't complement each other due to the product nature of a hairspray tends to "harden" your hair.

Sponge Wax
Best selling product of the HDF range. I decide to try this product because the description states that this gives a matt and high holding strength, perfect for styling a quiff that i always wanted to have. Got it off a local webstore. The same thing, i paired it with sea salt spray. First impression, same smell as the scheme cream, alittle putty texture but after rubbing the product into your hands, it spreads evenly and really easy to apply. My first successful quiff was born. It gives our asian hair a really good texture, makes your hair looks thick and nice. The holding strength of this product is awesome, way stronger than the scheme cream but at the same time remains pliable thru out the day. My quiff lasted me the entire day from Morning 9am till the wee hours like 4am (went clubbing after work). If comparing with Uevo grey wax, it's way less dry. It also gives your hair a soft touch without comprising the holding strength. I would recommend this product if you're looking to style a quiff or basically any other hairstyle, this is a very versatile product. To complement this product, best to use sea salt spray before styling and maybe some light hairspray after styling if you want even stronger holding strength.
Maybe something like this.

I think i am gonna stick to both these products till something better comes along within the HDF range. Might even give the HDF quicksand a try, see if this is better compared to the sponge wax.

Last edited:

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
I would beg to differ, in my opinion. Hair powder hold is very strong, even stronger than seasalt spray. Some of the hairstyling professionals from Schwarzkopf and Loreal demonstrated in their videos that such hair powders are safe and if used properly, it shouldnt touch your scalp and damage it substantially.
New OSiS Dust It by Schwarzkopf Professional - YouTube

This second video shows how 女人我最大 introduces the hair powder and how they used it. They do apply it directly onto the scalp.
蓬蓬粉蓬松粉造型粉女人我最大小P推荐

Even if you have doubts with regard to touching the scalp, chances are other types of hair products do bear equal amount of risk as well. Baseline is that you do have to find the specific product to match your needs. :)
ok i happened to got my hands on some OSiS dust it, and DAMN does it hold.... completely surprising for a hair powder o.0 dehydrated wax? hahaha i jest.

but ya, those looking for strong hold ones can try ba :)

too strong for my liking though.... leejhong, what's the difference between powderon and this one? :)

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok i happened to got my hands on some OSiS dust it, and DAMN does it hold.... completely surprising for a hair powder o.0 dehydrated wax? hahaha i jest.

too strong for my liking though.... leejhong, what's the difference between powderon and this one? :)

The thing for hair powder I believe is that its very hard to gauge how much to pour.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hair powder is often under-estimated but yes, it sure does hold very well. Furthermore, because its powder, its lightweight too. However, the main weakness is that it isnt that easy to apply.

Hair powders are generally harder to wash away. OSIS Dust IT is slightly harder than powder on to wash away but in terms of quality, both products are actually pretty similar. Just that Schwarzkopf is a major brand but PowderOn is just a normal home-grown brand from UK. So perhaps, price difference in this case. :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am having permed hair. May i know what is a good product for styling for my case?

Do give saltwater spray a try. It can bring out your waviness in your hair even better and allows creation of hair volume, ensuring that you look natural and good at the same time. With permed hair, you are supposed to have an easier time to style your hair so you can always fall back to the wax or clay brands that you are comfortable with.

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's the name of the hairstyle which is like mullet but instead of the pointed top, its a ball shaped at the front? :s11:

Kinda like a female hairstyle.

shiahzy

Reaction score
How does the spongewax compare to uevo gray in terms of hold?

as requested, the review of Hanz De Fuko Scheme Cream and Sponge Wax.

Scheme Cream.
This is the first HDF product i got it via amazon because i can't seem to find it in Singapore at that point of time. How i knew about the scheme cream is via a youtube channel while i was looking on how to style a quiff. Came across the slikharr youtube channel and a combination of sea salt spray and scheme cream is being used to style a mens quiff.
As stated on the HDF website, it can be used as a leave on conditioner or as styling product. The product itself is soft and kinda smells like butter. Best to use it on dry hair. It actually makes your hair feel soft and smooth thru out the day, very natural looking with a little shine, it's like nothing is being used to style your hair. I used it with sea salt spray and usually used to style the slick side comb for work. It remains pliable thru out the day. The hold wise its so-so only. When the wind blows against your hair style direction, your hair might flop but all you need to do is run your fingers thru your hair, the style is back up again. I recommend to use it for natural looking side or back comb, not really for wild or spikey hair style. As for quiff, you must either have really good hair genetics like the Caucasians does or you're in a less humid country.
Do not use hairspray after using this product because it doesn't complement each other due to the product nature of a hairspray tends to "harden" your hair.

Sponge Wax
Best selling product of the HDF range. I decide to try this product because the description states that this gives a matt and high holding strength, perfect for styling a quiff that i always wanted to have. Got it off a local webstore. The same thing, i paired it with sea salt spray. First impression, same smell as the scheme cream, alittle putty texture but after rubbing the product into your hands, it spreads evenly and really easy to apply. My first successful quiff was born. It gives our asian hair a really good texture, makes your hair looks thick and nice. The holding strength of this product is awesome, way stronger than the scheme cream but at the same time remains pliable thru out the day. My quiff lasted me the entire day from Morning 9am till the wee hours like 4am (went clubbing after work). If comparing with Uevo grey wax, it's way less dry. It also gives your hair a soft touch without comprising the holding strength. I would recommend this product if you're looking to style a quiff or basically any other hairstyle, this is a very versatile product. To complement this product, best to use sea salt spray before styling and maybe some light hairspray after styling if you want even stronger holding strength.
Maybe something like this.

I think i am gonna stick to both these products till something better comes along within the HDF range. Might even give the HDF quicksand a try, see if this is better compared to the sponge wax.

dj_flame

Reaction score
What's the name of the hairstyle which is like mullet but instead of the pointed top, its a ball shaped at the front? :s11:

Kinda like a female hairstyle.
A rockabilly ducktail quiff , like Elvis Presley / Morissey ?

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How does the spongewax compare to uevo gray in terms of hold?

If you're talking about hold. Uevo gray stronger but very very very and not as pliable as spongewax. Its like wax with hairspray in it. Haha good for wilder hairstyle that need extreme hold.

hoesoverbros

Reaction score
A rockabilly ducktail quiff , like Elvis Presley / Morissey ?

It is something like a puff like feature which can be either combed to the side or front. Usually you got to use hair dryer to blow to set the volume and apply your styling product, back combing it to achieve that kind of hairstyle.

dj_flame

Reaction score
I think its alot of work to style.

I mean, imagine how much time you need to style like this:
b2c56_womens-quiff-hairstyle.jpg

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think its alot of work to style.

I mean, imagine how much time you need to style like this:
b2c56_womens-quiff-hairstyle.jpg

Its kinda impossible to last through the day with just simple blow-drying. Even with saltwater spray, you might not even last long with this. The front will sure collapse pretty fast. You will have to perm your hair to chemically change your hair bonds structurally.

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems like there's still no solid comparison between Uevo grey and Quicksand.

I see Quicksand say until wu leng wu hor leh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.