[Official] iOS7 Discussions and Thoughts

LovelyDinner

Reaction score
Really can't stand some aspects of ios7 right now - hope it gets fixed in betas to come/official release
1) Options for Repeat in stock music app - it was much more convenient with the repeat icon than to pick the repeat option
2) Scrubbing in music app covers the title of the song (to show the rate of scrubbing e.g. Hi- speed, fine e.t.c) just feels bad to me

3) in apps like whatsapp - status bar remains black.. Makes it have an overall ugly feel when in-app, makes UI feel unpleasant
4) bugs like control centre and notification centre not working at times
5) typing in textbox (like these) is a chore because the screen doesnt follow what is being typed(meaning to say, one would have to scroll up, down, ( and this bugs me the
most) side to side..

But of course, it's merely the second beta, many bug fixes and improvements would be made in the coming weeks, possibly rendering my insights useless

sanjeevrana

Reaction score
Oh Boy ... Facetime Audio is going to kill Skype and others !! .. I have been using it extensively for past few days and audio is like HD and much better than normal phone call :p

Data usage on LTE comes about 1 MB per 2 mins (Audio only)

limpe84

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh Boy ... Facetime Audio is going to kill Skype and others !! .. I have been using it extensively for past few days and audio is like HD and much better than normal phone call :p

Data usage on LTE comes about 1 MB per 2 mins (Audio only)

FaceTime still works only on apple devices. I don't see myself uninstalling Skype anytime soon.

chris888222

Reaction score
I must say I already prefer the existing FaceTime over Skype. It is more stable and quality is generally better too. But yes, downside is its apple-apple.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FaceTime still works only on apple devices. I don't see myself uninstalling Skype anytime soon.

Skype's SkypeOut functionality has a hidden benefit here - calls made to cellular and land lines are from Private Number Caller ID. Not an actual benefit but because local telcos dun support the particular ID used by SkypeOut. Good way to make a confidential call every now and then. And at $1/mth, its cheaper than telco's number blocking services :s22:

On an unrelated note, I don't really like the new slide to unlock on iOS 7. Its too sensitive and prone to accidental unlock. In fact my phone unlocked itself when it was in my pants pocket the other day.. the walking movement was sensitive enough to unlock it when a notification activated the screen

chris888222

Reaction score
Skype's SkypeOut functionality has a hidden benefit here - calls made to cellular and land lines are from Private Number Caller ID. Not an actual benefit but because local telcos dun support the particular ID used by SkypeOut. Good way to make a confidential call every now and then. And at $1/mth, its cheaper than telco's number blocking services :s22:

On an unrelated note, I don't really like the new slide to unlock on iOS 7. Its too sensitive and prone to accidental unlock. In fact my phone unlocked itself when it was in my pants pocket the other day.. the walking movement was sensitive enough to unlock it when a notification activated the screen
I find sensitivity okay (with b1 last time). But I hate the slide to unlock in the way that they didn't exactly tell you which direction to slide. At the bottom of the words show an arrow pointing upwards but that opens control centre. Confusing much.

sanjeevrana

Reaction score
OK so narrowed down the battery drain to Weather and Stocks ...

Disabled Location Services for weather and disabled Background Refresh for both and now battery on Beta 2 is phenomenal !!!!

(All the usage below is iTunes Radio streaming over LTE, little Safari, Whatsapp as usual , few iMessages and Calls, little FB)

IMAGE_63BDD54B-7098-4127-8DAD-F0F5B13025A8.PNG

Reaction score
Well, the compatibilty list by Apple for iOS 7 is for the following devices :
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPad 2
- 3rd generation iPad with Retina
- 4th generation iPad with Retina
- iPad Mini
- 5th generation iPod touch

Of course, some features will only be available to the newer models.. Lagwise, I guess if Apple says it is compatible, it shouldn't be that bad ? :s12:

chris888222

Reaction score
Just hoping to hear when its official release. August?
Most likely September. iOS 7 release will be quite close to iPhone next gen release.

Well, the compatibilty list by Apple for iOS 7 is for the following devices :
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPad 2
- 3rd generation iPad with Retina
- 4th generation iPad with Retina
- iPad Mini
- 5th generation iPod touch

Of course, some features will only be available to the newer models.. Lagwise, I guess if Apple says it is compatible, it shouldn't be that bad ? :s12:
Not exactly so. iPhone 3GS was a compatible device with iOS 6 and it lagged really bad. The first beta of iOS 7 on iPhone 4S lagged quite a bit too.

Generally, new iOS support will start to lose out after 2 generations in terms of features, smoothness etc.. However, the problem here is that many of Apple's devices (including some new ones) are STILL using the A5 variant chips with 512MB RAM, the same amounts found in iPhone 4S and iPad 2 (which are considered fairly aging devices, esp iPad 2).

My concern is that if iOS7 lags on a device like iPhone 4S, it will probably lag on some of Apple's new products with similar specs.

This is kinda off topic but, I have been paying attention to this new plasticky "budget" iPhone. To me, that product's main purpose (if it ever will exist) is to kill off the iPhone 4... Just like how the 16GB iPod touch 5th Gen killed the 4th Gen Touches.

Last edited:

chris888222

Reaction score
Beta 3 is rolling out in some countries...
That's so fast! Beta 2 only seemed to roll out just recently.

Anyway, I hope the next gen iPhone can be bought with a non-data plan near launch. Wan to get it but my current data plan still not expired, only one non-data one which I don't intend to upgrade.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.