starhub cable broadband 100mbps

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody using starhub cable broadband 100mbps? How is it like,is it good?

VarunSG

Reaction score
Why not go with fibre instead? It's symmetric - so 100 mbps down and 100 mbps up. That's real useful when uploading images, videos, etc.

Just curious... :)

Anybody using starhub cable broadband 100mbps? How is it like,is it good?

muddle

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I admit it's useful. But there are too many people having grievances with installation. Even my colleague experienced this issue where a starhub tech came to house only to find out opennet activated at wrong address. Don't hear this as much from other isp. Whereas for cable can just use a motorola 6120 and plug to existing cable point.

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But hows cable broadband speed for 100mbps like? Cus starhub offered me recontract for cable broadband 100mbps and signing of new fibre broadband,I heard their fibre broadband is really problematic especially their router? Should I recontract with starhub? Thanks would appreciate any constructive advise;-)

moozmoow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But hows cable broadband speed for 100mbps like? Cus starhub offered me recontract for cable broadband 100mbps and signing of new fibre broadband,I heard their fibre broadband is really problematic especially their router? Should I recontract with starhub? Thanks would appreciate any constructive advise;-)

what kind of problems are you expecting to face with fibre? :s11:

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what kind of problems are you expecting to face with fibre? :s11:

I read from these forums here that is it true that starhub fibre is slow and unstable??? And the router is not good? And only direct ont to asus n56u then can achieve the promised speeds? Anyone on Starhub fibre encountering problems?

moozmoow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read from these forums here that is it true that starhub fibre is slow and unstable??? And the router is not good? And only direct ont to asus n56u then can achieve the promised speeds? Anyone on Starhub fibre encountering problems?

depends on what you need the 100mbps for. its ok for me, i can hit up to 10MB/s on torrents with seeders that have good upload speeds and overseas direct downloads can reach up to 2-4MB/s. BUT recently/last few weeks surfing overseas website kinda slow. Other than that still ok. Till date, i haven't faced any downtime from starhub fibre (yet! *touchwood*) so for me its still a pretty good experience

1 thing that spurred my family to sign up fibre instead of recontracting cable is that its cheaper but speed is faster. My previous cable was 10Mbps that cost $56 (without contract). anyway here's something i just tried downloading off youtube

WHi4GqF.png

router wise, it is good enough for normal users. But you might still face certain things like wifi signal strength not good enough (for me it was ok), or other things. If you do face all that problems, then you might need to consider if you wana pay a full price for a new router, or sign up with the other providers and purchase a new router at a subsidised rate.

Do take note, the router provided by starhub is free.

For speeds on the default routers provided by starhub, refer to first post in this thread:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...xinfinity-fiber-optic-experience-3271855.html

Last edited:

azrin619

Reaction score

Quite true.. many even suffers from slow speeds even at the ONT side as the tech did not read the fiber power properly and just anyhow pass the install when it's over -25dbm. local speed is good with starhub... but international...Join the whole with LTE, Cable, ADSL, Fiber and their corporate peers...

Thus why it's better to go for the new isp than the incumbents.. they have so much bugs which I can't list it out..as it's OSA.. heee (inherit from bad admins during Cyberway times.. which I am also a culprit...)

VarunSG

Reaction score
Confused...are you suggesting that f it were a different ISP, the OpenNet activation would've been correct? Sounds like an OpenNet problem...unless they're deliberately messing with SH, which sounds a bit unlikely... ;-)

Am on SH fibre, 300 symmetric, no issues so far. (Am also on MR 150 Gamer - no issues for me there either).

I admit it's useful. But there are too many people having grievances with installation. Even my colleague experienced this issue where a starhub tech came to house only to find out opennet activated at wrong address. Don't hear this as much from other isp. Whereas for cable can just use a motorola 6120 and plug to existing cable point.

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Confused...are you suggesting that f it were a different ISP, the OpenNet activation would've been correct? Sounds like an OpenNet problem...unless they're deliberately messing with SH, which sounds a bit unlikely... ;-)

Am on SH fibre, 300 symmetric, no issues so far. (Am also on MR 150 Gamer - no issues for me there either).

Good for you varun,r u using the dlink router(residential gateway) that's provided by starhub? There r far too many complaints about the router poor wifi range and speeds that's deterring me to sign up starhub fibre. Any folks have been on starhub cable 100mbps and hows the experience like? If everything's not as good I will just sign m1 fibre broadband.

VarunSG

Reaction score
No, I've gone "Direct ONT".

M1 doesn't provide a router at all (if I remember correctly). Direct ONT gives 3,000 StarHub points instead; I'm using my points to set off my bill. And then there are hubbing rewards and discounts so it all works out well.

Good for you varun,r u using the dlink router(residential gateway) that's provided by starhub? There r far too many complaints about the router poor wifi range and speeds that's deterring me to sign up starhub fibre. Any folks have been on starhub cable 100mbps and hows the experience like? If everything's not as good I will just sign m1 fibre broadband.

azrin619

Reaction score

I seen cases like that also.. they jumpered the wrong address because the NC-SUBID-ADDR is given wrongly.. or entered wrongly on the ordering team... and they do it all manually fyi....

Varun- the SH can give stable 300 symetric up down for how long?? Can do testing on it???

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No, I've gone "Direct ONT".

M1 doesn't provide a router at all (if I remember correctly). Direct ONT gives 3,000 StarHub points instead; I'm using my points to set off my bill. And then there are hubbing rewards and discounts so it all works out well.
This weekend offer from M1 they are providing a free Asus N56U router. May I ask Varun wad router r u using currently if I'm signing starhub fibre will get a Asus N56U from Amazon online its cheaper?

VarunSG

Reaction score
Jeffrey, I'm on MR 150 Gamer (for Teleport) and StarHub 300 (for everything else). My home is wired with Cat 6 LAN in each room. The MR connection goes into the free 15U (MR used to give the 15U free with the 150 plan... I understand they now give the 56U). The wireless on the 15U is disabled. From the 15U, I run a cable into an gigabit switch that feeds the Apple TV, blu-ray, TV, receiver, and XBox in the living room. One cable runs to the master bedroom where there's another switch; one connection from the switch runs into a gen 1 Apple Extreme, meant just for the bedroom. One cable from the switch feeds another Apple TV and another blu-ray player. And a final cable runs back from the switch, out the door, and into the study room. My main MyRep access point is in the study room - this is a Netgear R6300 AC. Regrettably none of my computers support AC, but this kind of future proof's me, and the .N works a charm with 150+ mbps over wifi.

From the same ONT in the living room, the StarHub 300x300 connection runs into an Apple Extreme Gen 6 (AC) router. I ran a speedtest after seeing your post - the result is here:
Speedtest.net - My Results (down 239, up 142). This is using a MacBook Pro Ret, sitting in the same room around 15 feet from the router, no obstructions. In general, this single wifi router feeds all rooms fairly well.

Azrin, I can't hit 300 on wifi with any of the wifi routers I've tried, including when using an external AC USB adapter (connected to a Windows 8 laptop). However, when connected over wire, I can hit close to 300m (down) every time and over 200m (up) every time - the speedtest servers tend to run out of time for the upstream to cross 200 as the file being uploaded seems to not be large enough to account for such high speeds (the speed's still ramping up quickly when the upstream check ends).

I realize that this elaborate networking is not for everyone. But running ethernet is a one-off investment and I strongly encourage it. You can then run cheaper wifi modems in each room and still have very fast and stable 'net connectivity.

Hope this helps.

- V.

This weekend offer from M1 they are providing a free Asus N56U router. May I ask Varun wad router r u using currently if I'm signing starhub fibre will get a Asus N56U from Amazon online its cheaper?

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jeffrey, I'm on MR 150 Gamer (for Teleport) and StarHub 300 (for everything else). My home is wired with Cat 6 LAN in each room. The MR connection goes into the free 15U (MR used to give the 15U free with the 150 plan... I understand they now give the 56U). The wireless on the 15U is disabled. From the 15U, I run a cable into an gigabit switch that feeds the Apple TV, blu-ray, TV, receiver, and XBox in the living room. One cable runs to the master bedroom where there's another switch; one connection from the switch runs into a gen 1 Apple Extreme, meant just for the bedroom. One cable from the switch feeds another Apple TV and another blu-ray player. And a final cable runs back from the switch, out the door, and into the study room. My main MyRep access point is in the study room - this is a Netgear R6300 AC. Regrettably none of my computers support AC, but this kind of future proof's me, and the .N works a charm with 150+ mbps over wifi.

From the same ONT in the living room, the StarHub 300x300 connection runs into an Apple Extreme Gen 6 (AC) router. I ran a speedtest after seeing your post - the result is here:
Speedtest.net - My Results (down 239, up 142). This is using a MacBook Pro Ret, sitting in the same room around 15 feet from the router, no obstructions. In general, this single wifi router feeds all rooms fairly well.

Azrin, I can't hit 300 on wifi with any of the wifi routers I've tried, including when using an external AC USB adapter (connected to a Windows 8 laptop). However, when connected over wire, I can hit close to 300m (down) every time and over 200m (up) every time - the speedtest servers tend to run out of time for the upstream to cross 200 as the file being uploaded seems to not be large enough to account for such high speeds (the speed's still ramping up quickly when the upstream check ends).

I realize that this elaborate networking is not for everyone. But running ethernet is a one-off investment and I strongly encourage it. You can then run cheaper wifi modems in each room and still have very fast and stable 'net connectivity.

Hope this helps.

- V.

Thanks varun for the extensive information on your set up! Looks like we gotta get our own router n diy on our own if we wanna achieve the best speeds...

VarunSG

Reaction score
Thanks varun for the extensive information on your set up! Looks like we gotta get our own router n diy on our own if we wanna achieve the best speeds...

That's true for pretty-much any ISP anywhere in the world. Top-end routers are too expensive for an ISP to bundle free, particularly as competitive pressures have forced prices down and international bandwidth allocations up at the same time. The margin squeeze is likely enormous.

azrin619

Reaction score
That's true for pretty-much any ISP anywhere in the world. Top-end routers are too expensive for an ISP to bundle free, particularly as competitive pressures have forced prices down and international bandwidth allocations up at the same time. The margin squeeze is likely enormous.

bandwidth cost about $500 per GB...so that is expensive based on gross they have to pay ON about 80% of the sub cost to Opennet for the rental of fiber...

I noe cos I run my own gig too.. with IPV6 testing...getting more costlier for ISPs.... as IP address cost too much

Varun...try do a stable test cable to your SH.. 1 huge file up (ISO?) and down... see if it hits the rate... based on your Network Resources....

speedtest is crappy anyway

VarunSG

Reaction score
Late tonight but PM me which file (URL) you'd like me to try on and I'll download using a download manager tomorrow. There are so many caveats with this too - the network on the host could be congested, the route to the host could be congested, etc.

bandwidth cost about $500 per GB...so that is expensive based on gross they have to pay ON about 80% of the sub cost to Opennet for the rental of fiber...

I noe cos I run my own gig too.. with IPV6 testing...getting more costlier for ISPs.... as IP address cost too much

Varun...try do a stable test cable to your SH.. 1 huge file up (ISO?) and down... see if it hits the rate... based on your Network Resources....

speedtest is crappy anyway

itsmeitsme

Reaction score
Apology to hijack TS's thread but I need some opinion. I have just renewed my cable broadband contract and upgraded to 100mbps. Currently, using the provided Cisco Modem/Router DCP 3925 as a bridge and use Cisco Router E3200. Is the result below good or bad? If not, can anyone suggest on how to improve it? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2863081158.png

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.