Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

Whats good for BBC two Iplayer

I am on Starhub Fibre Maxinfinity Ultimate 100MBPS plan.

I kinda need to watch this for the next two weeks

BBC Two - The Real White Queen and Her Rivals, Episode 1

I want to use get_iplayer and rmtpdump to record the stream down cause waking up at 4am Singapore time to catch it for two weeks is gonna be hell.

If using UnoTelly can I cancel and resubscribe as an when I want to watch a certain show on BBC Iplayer?

Thanks in advance for letting me know what to get .

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of signing MyRepublic after Singtel contract end. Now do not know what to sign up.

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of signing MyRepublic after Singtel contract end. Now do not know what to sign up.

can try check out VQ...

myrepublic really has china connection issue now.
i host my VPN on MR....it's slow compare to those paid VPN server from JP/US

staythisday

Reaction score
Just thinking aloud...I am not sure if myRepublic offering of teleport allow us to watch EPL Or not..but it looks like a good promise for me...

They stated that teleport can stream from iTV n iTV has EPL games...cant wait for myRepublic fiber this saturday..going to try ..and will post if I can get any games streaming via iTV!...

wc1985

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just thinking aloud...I am not sure if myRepublic offering of teleport allow us to watch EPL Or not..but it looks like a good promise for me...

They stated that teleport can stream from iTV n iTV has EPL games...cant wait for myRepublic fiber this saturday..going to try ..and will post if I can get any games streaming via iTV!...

from what i know of, iTV does not have epl games there... only With Sky sports subscription then you can watch EPL, btw its not cheap at all with Sky sports subscription

if im not wrong iTV does have champions league though i remember watching the finals on that site and its free. But not sure if every champions league game going to be there

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sports/?DCMP=afc-skysports:nc_SkyGo_signin

Last edited:

staythisday

Reaction score
from what i know of, iTV does not have epl games there... only With Sky sports subscription then you can watch EPL, btw its not cheap at all with Sky sports subscription

if im not wrong iTV does have champions league though i remember watching the finals on that site and its free. But not sure if every champions league game going to be there

Sky Sports Pack - Live Football, F1, Cricket, Rugby & More Sports

Thanks for the heads up...I don't mind paying for a good decent stream to watch EPL than to be held ransom by the red n green folks...

segafan

Reaction score
Dang~ Missed the promo from CyberGhost VPN.

But no matter. Am still using Astrill VPN (used OpenVPN).
Very solid, even works on top of my ViewQwest's VPN LAN port.
Speed is also excellent for HD streaming or upload (e.g. sync to Dropbox).

Also, SIC: Home | tunlr.net
Alternative to UnoTelly. And it's free. No time to try it yet, though..

Xanthos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seems like most of you are using VPN for just hulu and netflix which confuses me.

I paid $5 for a private socks5 proxy, used it with Proxifier and I'm streaming netflix on HD.

stiwipl

Reaction score
It seems like most of you are using VPN for just hulu and netflix which confuses me.

I paid $5 for a private socks5 proxy, used it with Proxifier and I'm streaming netflix on HD.

It confuses me too. What's the point nowadays to use VPN for watching Netflix / Hulu via VPN that always slow down your connection instead of signing up for DNS "forwarding" service that only fakes your IP and works at full speed of your connection.

rescapind

Reaction score
It confuses me too. What's the point nowadays to use VPN for watching Netflix / Hulu via VPN that always slow down your connection instead of signing up for DNS "forwarding" service that only fakes your IP and works at full speed of your connection.

I used both VQW FreedomVPN and Unotelly before switching to Astrill VPN.
The difference is very clear for my case.
Using Astrill VPN, I can hit Netflix SuperHD (5800kbps buffer rate) in seconds.
Streaming other websites (Sky Go, BBC iPlayer, etc.) is also much better.
With DNS provider, you have to rely on their supported sites. Using VPN, you can stream from any site you want from their supported countries (which is numerous).

I think at the end, it all comes down to personal usage. Nothing is good for all.

stiwipl

Reaction score
I used both VQW FreedomVPN and Unotelly before switching to Astrill VPN.
The difference is very clear for my case.
Using Astrill VPN, I can hit Netflix SuperHD (5800kbps buffer rate) in seconds.
Streaming other websites (Sky Go, BBC iPlayer, etc.) is also much better.
With DNS provider, you have to rely on their supported sites. Using VPN, you can stream from any site you want from their supported countries (which is numerous).

I think at the end, it all comes down to personal usage. Nothing is good for all.

The only problem is that you need to switch servers for VPN and that you will never max out your bandwidth... Are you saying that you can hit Netflix Super HD streaming through VPN at better rates than directly via VQW Freedom VPN or Unotelly?

Did you compare Overplay VPN by any chance?

rescapind

Reaction score
The only problem is that you need to switch servers for VPN and that you will never max out your bandwidth... Are you saying that you can hit Netflix Super HD streaming through VPN at better rates than directly via VQW Freedom VPN or Unotelly?

Ya. That's the tradeoff between convenience and performance + flexibility (more sites supported). I only tunnel Apple TV and HTPC through VPN, so the bandwidth problem you mentioned is not applicable. I have other PC at home for more bandwidth extensive things and that PC is not tunnelled through VPN.

I know a lot of ppl are saying DNS is faster than VPN but it's not the case for me.
Take for an example. I can hit 5 bar streaming quality from Sky GO with Astrill VPN in seconds. Unotelly struggles between 3-4 bars.
Unottely does not support SuperHD yet. Astrill VPN US server does and stream automatically hits max buffer rate (5800kbps) within few seconds only.

The price for Astrill VPN is higher than Unotelly by the way.

I tried HideMyAss, IPVanish, FlyVPN, but not Overplay VPN yet.

Last edited:

stiwipl

Reaction score
Ya. That's the tradeoff between convenience and performance + flexibility (more sites supported). I only tunnel Apple TV and HTPC through VPN, so the bandwidth problem you mentioned is not applicable. I have other PC at home for more bandwidth extensive things and that PC is not tunnelled through VPN.

I know a lot of ppl are saying DNS is faster than VPN but it's not the case for me.
Take for an example. I can hit 5 bar streaming quality from Sky GO with Astrill VPN in seconds. Unotelly struggles between 3-4 bars.
Unottely does not support SuperHD yet. Astrill VPN US server does and stream automatically hits max buffer rate (5800kbps) within few seconds only.

The price for Astrill VPN is higher than Unotelly by the way.

I tried HideMyAss, IPVanish, FlyVPN, but not Overplay VPN yet.

UnoDNS does support Super HD as I have been testing them. Not always though, sometimes connection is routed via "Super HD" optimized networks, other times not. What's odd though, whenever it routes via "HD only" networks, I am able to stream up to 15.000 Kbps (yes, checked many times) but whenever it connects via "Open Network" routes for Super HD I can't get decent picture quality and streaming speed is up to 4.000 Kbps.

Xanthos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Actually no switch is required for VPN.

Some VPN comes with Singapore nodes and connecting to them provides high speed and still able to access netflix.

I've went through a ton of services before settling on a SOCKS5 proxy once I have no need for VPN anymore.

wc1985

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually no switch is required for VPN.

Some VPN comes with Singapore nodes and connecting to them provides high speed and still able to access netflix.

I've went through a ton of services before settling on a SOCKS5 proxy once I have no need for VPN anymore.

so which site you bought your socks5 from

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.