The Hair Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoesoverbros

Reaction score
Peep! in case there are people who try using the discount code but get denied earlier on. We have fix the discount code glitch already, there shouldn't be any issue. Key the discount code 'take1' OR 'take3' respectively at the shopping bag before check out. Thanks you very much! :s12:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Doing a review for 3 products samples i bought it off at Hairyportal. (All products are available at Hairyportal website, they have brought in Hanz de Fuko lately). If i am not wrong, they are going for 27SGD per tub for Hanz de Fuko.
(All products was used after I blow dry my hair into a side quiff/pompadour shape with sea-salt spray)
*Sorry for my broken english and wall of text lol*

1) Imperial Barber Classic Pomade
2) Imperial Barber Matte Pomade Paste
3) Hanz de Fuko Quicksand

They come in small containers like this. Not a lot but could probably last me a few applications for each product.
I guess the first one to finish will be the classic pomade.
0831fa08-54c8-4c22-9691-2e0dff758c89_zps36c92410.jpg

Let's start this review off with the Imperial Barber Classic Pomade. (Also the first product that i tried after receiving them)
This is the very first time i actually try using water-based pomade after hearing raving reviews of what Imperial Barber pomades can do. The strong hold, the slight shine and also water re-activable. Didn't want to use gel because it tends to harden the hair, making it look un-natural.
After reading online on how to use pomade, it's best use on slight wet or dry hair depending on the amount of hold and look you're going for, i chose the latter.
The product itself gives out a fruity scent/smell and i quite liked it.
As the bottle opening is kinda small, i took some time digging out the product, probably a 5 cent coin amount, the texture of the product is quite tough but surprisingly easy to spread evenly into my palms and also very easy to apply. First impression, it gives my hair a slight shine and doesn't harden like how gel does. 2 mistakes that i have realized after using this product.
First mistake, it will better if I were to use a comb to rake my hair to the side towards the back, it will look neater, sharper, easier to apply. But I am going for the disconnected side quiff look so i used my hand instead. Would recommend to use it with a comb.
Second mistake, after applying, it will look rather wet. I would recommend to blow dry again. This will allow the pomade to set in place, if not your hair will flop due to the heavy texture of the product.
The hold is strong, keeping my hair in place the entire day. If my hair flops, All i need to do is wet my hands and rake my hair to the side again to re-activate the pomade.
Would recommend this product to people who are going for the sleek side or back comb. You will definitely look a lot sharper and neat. Good for everyday working attire or formal events.

2nd product i used is the raving Hanz de Fuko Quicksand.
Decided to use it on a Friday because I will be heading to party after work and I need my quiff to stay in place from morning till after dark.
First impression, smells weird, kinda different from the regular Hanz de Fuko product that I own (Sponge wax and scheme cream). Used cooking oil smell as what someone has described a few pages back.
Dig some out, same thing 5 cent coin amount. After rubbing it into my palms, the product turned from dry to oily but the moment I apply onto my hair, it felt like really fine sand going thru the strands of my hair. Application is really easy and it stays. First look, really really matte looking but at the same time doesn't feel as dry as compared to the Sponge Wax and Uevo Grey. As what the product promised, i get GREAT volume out of the product (imagine with sea salt spray, the amount of volume and texture is Wow!).
Did a slight spray of osis freeze 3 cause this hairdo gotta last me till the night. Hold was awesome, even with strong winds that day, all i need to do again is to rake my hair backwards and it's all done. It does last me till 3am in the morning, with sweat from all the walking and queuing.
Would recommend this to people with fine hair or hell, even with thick hair! No complains on the product except for the smell, maybe it's the special ingredient inside the product (Diatomaceous Earth) that gave out the weird smell.

Last product, the Imperial Barber Matte Pomade Paste. Used it on a Saturday night out for dinner and movie.
First impression, smells like bubblegum, soft to touch and got a very "pasty" feeling. Same thing as the 2 other products, easy to spread in my palms (I guess this is the norm for professional products) and application to my hair is easy as well. It feels like a combination of quicksand + scheme cream. Doesn't feel dry after raking it thru my hair, my quiff was almost instant and I finished it off with a osis hair spray. It gives great texture and to my surprise (this product wasn't in my must-try list) it gave me the look closest to what I am looking for (Picture below). However the downside, the hold isn't that strong though but the osis spray complements it(Don't use too much spray though, tend to give out shine and hardening your hair). The website states it's water re-activable but i wouldn't want to spoil the matte look with water.
Hard to compare this to the quicksand because both are quite similar product. Good for people with thin hair because it gives a strong texture + volume. I really can't decide which is better. Both are really good and interesting product.

A short week got me to test all 3 great products, now i am in a dilemma on which product I should keep and stay with them. :(
or probably buy all and use whichever i am feeling right with in the morning.

*hoping to stay with sponge wax, quicksand, classic and matte pomade paste at the moment. I got like 7-8 products with me right now. LOL

This picture re-used a lot of times already. haha
tumblr_mlgq29WANZ1r65bg6o1_500.jpg

zish82

Reaction score
Many Venus outlets stock them. Else, try Chinatown. Swanston, Ocean or small shops along the area. I used Hardhead for a while. Not bad, but i found a cheaper better alternative.

Imperial is a barber shop product, obviously would not be endorsed by saloons. There is a diff between a barber and a hairstylist / cosmetologist.

The only local retailers are PACT (@Orchard Central), KIN, TuckShop and Sundry and Hounds of Baskervilles (These are all around Haji-Kandahar-Bali area). The 1st 2 shops are men's speciality boutiques selling clothes, shoes and grooming stuff, the Tuckshop and Sundry is a hardcore denim boutique catering to rockabilly hobbyists, and Baskerville is an actual old school barber saloon staffed by a old ang moh barber. All sell Imperial @ $40.

tl;dr = imperial can buy locally but still cheaper to get online.

Imperial Barber products are available at HairyPortal :D

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Doing a review for 3 products samples i bought it off at Hairyportal. (All products are available at Hairyportal website, they have brought in Hanz de Fuko lately). If i am not wrong, they are going for 27SGD per tub for Hanz de Fuko.
(All products was used after I blow dry my hair into a side quiff/pompadour shape with sea-salt spray)
*Sorry for my broken english and wall of text lol*

1) Imperial Barber Classic Pomade
2) Imperial Barber Matte Pomade Paste
3) Hanz de Fuko Quicksand

They come in small containers like this. Not a lot but could probably last me a few applications for each product.
I guess the first one to finish will be the classic pomade.
0831fa08-54c8-4c22-9691-2e0dff758c89_zps36c92410.jpg

Let's start this review off with the Imperial Barber Classic Pomade. (Also the first product that i tried after receiving them)
This is the very first time i actually try using water-based pomade after hearing raving reviews of what Imperial Barber pomades can do. The strong hold, the slight shine and also water re-activable. Didn't want to use gel because it tends to harden the hair, making it look un-natural.
After reading online on how to use pomade, it's best use on slight wet or dry hair depending on the amount of hold and look you're going for, i chose the latter.
The product itself gives out a fruity scent/smell and i quite liked it.
As the bottle opening is kinda small, i took some time digging out the product, probably a 5 cent coin amount, the texture of the product is quite tough but surprisingly easy to spread evenly into my palms and also very easy to apply. First impression, it gives my hair a slight shine and doesn't harden like how gel does. 2 mistakes that i have realized after using this product.
First mistake, it will better if I were to use a comb to rake my hair to the side towards the back, it will look neater, sharper, easier to apply. But I am going for the disconnected side quiff look so i used my hand instead. Would recommend to use it with a comb.
Second mistake, after applying, it will look rather wet. I would recommend to blow dry again. This will allow the pomade to set in place, if not your hair will flop due to the heavy texture of the product.
The hold is strong, keeping my hair in place the entire day. If my hair flops, All i need to do is wet my hands and rake my hair to the side again to re-activate the pomade.
Would recommend this product to people who are going for the sleek side or back comb. You will definitely look a lot sharper and neat. Good for everyday working attire or formal events.

2nd product i used is the raving Hanz de Fuko Quicksand.
Decided to use it on a Friday because I will be heading to party after work and I need my quiff to stay in place from morning till after dark.
First impression, smells weird, kinda different from the regular Hanz de Fuko product that I own (Sponge wax and scheme cream). Used cooking oil smell as what someone has described a few pages back.
Dig some out, same thing 5 cent coin amount. After rubbing it into my palms, the product turned from dry to oily but the moment I apply onto my hair, it felt like really fine sand going thru the strands of my hair. Application is really easy and it stays. First look, really really matte looking but at the same time doesn't feel as dry as compared to the Sponge Wax and Uevo Grey. As what the product promised, i get GREAT volume out of the product (imagine with sea salt spray, the amount of volume and texture is Wow!).
Did a slight spray of osis freeze 3 cause this hairdo gotta last me till the night. Hold was awesome, even with strong winds that day, all i need to do again is to rake my hair backwards and it's all done. It does last me till 3am in the morning, with sweat from all the walking and queuing.
Would recommend this to people with fine hair or hell, even with thick hair! No complains on the product except for the smell, maybe it's the special ingredient inside the product (Diatomaceous Earth) that gave out the weird smell.

Last product, the Imperial Barber Matte Pomade Paste. Used it on a Saturday night out for dinner and movie.
First impression, smells like bubblegum, soft to touch and got a very "pasty" feeling. Same thing as the 2 other products, easy to spread in my palms (I guess this is the norm for professional products) and application to my hair is easy as well. It feels like a combination of quicksand + scheme cream. Doesn't feel dry after raking it thru my hair, my quiff was almost instant and I finished it off with a osis hair spray. It gives great texture and to my surprise (this product wasn't in my must-try list) it gave me the look closest to what I am looking for (Picture below). However the downside, the hold isn't that strong though but the osis spray complements it(Don't use too much spray though, tend to give out shine and hardening your hair). The website states it's water re-activable but i wouldn't want to spoil the matte look with water.
Hard to compare this to the quicksand because both are quite similar product. Good for people with thin hair because it gives a strong texture + volume. I really can't decide which is better. Both are really good and interesting product.

A short week got me to test all 3 great products, now i am in a dilemma on which product I should keep and stay with them. :(
or probably buy all and use whichever i am feeling right with in the morning.

*hoping to stay with sponge wax, quicksand, classic and matte pomade paste at the moment. I got like 7-8 products with me right now. LOL

This picture re-used a lot of times already. haha
tumblr_mlgq29WANZ1r65bg6o1_500.jpg

awesome triple review bro!
btw i'm pretty certain the cooking oil smell comes from the canola oil, which can be used as cooking oil. also, for the planty people, you'll be glad to know there are stuff like green tea extract, seaweed extract, hibiscus, mint, lemon and sunflower just to name a few. i cant rmb the rest of the scientific names on the jug.

i can vouch for that "rake my hair backwards and it's all done" effect! also, i just read your review saying the other products can be water reactivated, so i went ahead and wet my hands and tried for the quicksand + arimino freeze wax thats in my hair. turns out with slightly wet hands i can transform my side fringe into that quiff picture! pretty interesting.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
awesome triple review bro!
btw i'm pretty certain the cooking oil smell comes from the canola oil, which can be used as cooking oil. also, for the planty people, you'll be glad to know there are stuff like green tea extract, seaweed extract, hibiscus, mint, lemon and sunflower just to name a few. i cant rmb the rest of the scientific names on the jug.

i can vouch for that "rake my hair backwards and it's all done" effect! also, i just read your review saying the other products can be water reactivated, so i went ahead and wet my hands and tried for the quicksand + arimino freeze wax thats in my hair. turns out with slightly wet hands i can transform my side fringe into that quiff picture! pretty interesting.
but it will have a slight sheen. haha.
all these product don't freeze up your hair which is good but at times can be irritating when the wind blows against your hair direction.. :D

angel99999

Master Member
Reaction score
Recently I gotten this:
81vCCvF-YQL._SL1500_.jpg

Only at $6.95 (on promotion at NTUC)
I have fine hair and this holds up pretty well, no shine at all and strong hold.
Before this, I was using Renati matt mud, good too but needs more skills to apply and less strength.

By recommendation I also ordered the Hanz de fuko quicksand and sponge wax, haven't reach. But at 6.95, I recommend the bros here go have a try.
Compared to amazon is quite cheap.
Amazon.com: Dominate Salon Series Out Of Bed With Clay, Strong Hair Hold For A Dry Matte Grunge Look, 85g (3 oz): Beauty

Oh and it's easy to wash off too, don't need to apply shampoo first, can just use water rinse unlike gatsby wax.

Last edited:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will be doing a review for Leejhong product soon. Just received 2 small samples from him. Awesome guy to deal with. Guys please support him for his products!
Both of this product smells really good!
Nigelle Clay
Lolane Gel Gum

Btw the Kanebo Lissage Vogne shampoo is good man. Like cream and smells really good.
My scalp doesn't itch so much only after 1 wash. Gonna order from you when your stocks arrive.

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i need a good shampoo. Basket.. i think my hair a bit oily recently ~ any to intro..

melankholy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys. looking to switch from gel to something different.
i have slightly wavy, moderately thick and dry hair, which is why ive been using gel to keep in in check. Trying to grow it long now.

Also, i like the fresh feeling of gel in my head when i step out of the house. My main gripe with wax/clay is that its too matte and makes me feel like ive not showered? Not sure how to put it.

Am looking for a product that can give the slight wet look of gel yet avoid the being crusty, hard or looking damn cheesy which gel does yet keeps me feeling fresh. Must also not be sticky or greasy. Cause i tend to fall asleep before washing my hair out. Hopefully this product can give me the slightly spiky and textured look. I tend to put my hair up rather than let it drape down my forehead.

Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i need a good shampoo. Basket.. i think my hair a bit oily recently ~ any to intro..

You gotta try the kanebo lissage shampoo. Tried it ytd and it feels good!
Lol

Think I just fall in love with nigelle hair clay. Lol looking for 2 more persons to share the big tub. Lol got too much hair product at the moment already.

Will do a review soon! :D

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys. looking to switch from gel to something different.
i have slightly wavy, moderately thick and dry hair, which is why ive been using gel to keep in in check. Trying to grow it long now.

Also, i like the fresh feeling of gel in my head when i step out of the house. My main gripe with wax/clay is that its too matte and makes me feel like ive not showered? Not sure how to put it.

Am looking for a product that can give the slight wet look of gel yet avoid the being crusty, hard or looking damn cheesy which gel does yet keeps me feeling fresh. Must also not be sticky or greasy. Cause i tend to fall asleep before washing my hair out. Hopefully this product can give me the slightly spiky and textured look. I tend to put my hair up rather than let it drape down my forehead.

Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

Try imperial barber classic pomade. It's water based like gel, good for thick and wavy hair as its strong enough to hold them together.
As your requirement, it doesn't harden or look cheesy, instead you will look sharper.
This product is really easy to wash.
Can read my review a few pages back.

But now the trend is on matte looking hairstyle. But slick back or side slick will always remain a classic.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will be doing a review for Leejhong product soon. Just received 2 small samples from him. Awesome guy to deal with. Guys please support him for his products!
Both of this product smells really good!
Nigelle Clay
Lolane Gel Gum

Btw the Kanebo Lissage Vogne shampoo is good man. Like cream and smells really good.
My scalp doesn't itch so much only after 1 wash. Gonna order from you when your stocks arrive.

Thanks for ur praises, bro. Yes kanebo lissage shampoo from japan is good. Its thick, creamy and its in marshmallow yellow colour. Gives you a total refreshing feel after using. Hair doesnt feel dry or oily after usage as this acidic shampoo removes the stubborn excess oils and impurities that normal shampoos cant do it, especially in such humid climate of SG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.