Anyone ever worked as a trainee CADD engineer/operator?

SyraLeo

Master Member
Reaction score
but aceplp doesnt take in people without engr degree ?

cause if they do, and they train them in Autocad, then what kind of engineering skills are taught?

im not learning anything new in my current job, and the drafting required is so basic, anything new i learn isnt put to use either.

want to switch but i dont want to go to Aceplp, i already know my basics well, no point signing 2 yrs away for the "training".

greythorne

Reaction score
Wow those who claim AcePLP good must be the same person from the management team or being directed by them to say positive things. Most of the seniors who completed, some of whom I met said negative things. BTW do you know the talent dept said the LD is nothing but when I asked the HR about the damages I was told I must pay $16.55k!

greythorne

Reaction score
It's only after signing the contract that they introduce rules that make your life miserable

BigMan123

Reaction score
this is how this coy work.
1) train u for 2 mths. they claim the training worth $5k but to me it only worth ard $1k at most because such courses are very cheap and easily available.
2) attach u to other companies for 2 years. the price those companies will pay to aceplp usually range from 3k to 5k a mth. aceplp will then give u ard 40-60% of wad they get from them to YOU as salary. Basically, u r getting only 1-2k for doing a 3-5k job for 27 months(i will explain why 27 not 24). In this sense, even recruitment agencies are better then them. At least they don leech so much.
3) the contract u sign with them acts the same way as using a 100kg plated doublelock to cuff your leg so that you cant run away from the company for 27 months. If u try to buy a key to uncuff your leg, you need to fork out 16k sgd. If u dont, they will engage their lawyer to sue u until u faint.
4) its 27 mths, not 24, because u need to give 3 mths notice period to quit after your 2 years bond. If u don't give the notice period, they can sue you and dont give u the performance bonus. Its very low anyway.
5) in order to get the performance bonus, you must show them your cpf to prove you r not working 4 their clients for a few mths den they will decide if they will give u the very low performance bonus. joker?

kanzie88

Reaction score
Most Definitely ... Look at the join date u know Liao lol... Gd luck to those gullible enough to listen to their bull

FerreroForte

Reaction score
dats wrong, training is 26 mth, not 2 mth. if u join as a trainee, den de pay of cuz is lower, but u get to learn new things tt cannot be teach in de skool wat so i tink is fair. notice period is 1 month, nt 3 mth.

de ppl post bad abt de coy here muz be bond breakers!!

FerreroForte

Reaction score
but aceplp doesnt take in people without engr degree ?

cause if they do, and they train them in Autocad, then what kind of engineering skills are taught?

im not learning anything new in my current job, and the drafting required is so basic, anything new i learn isnt put to use either.

want to switch but i dont want to go to Aceplp, i already know my basics well, no point signing 2 yrs away for the "training".

de gd ting abt tis prog is u apply de skill u learn to diff projects.. dis coy do not mind de education level of staff as long as ur learning attitude is gd...

Ah Gong

Reaction score
I have just completed my CAD Traineeship Programme with Aceplp...have been trained intensively on software such as Autocad and Revit. the most enjoyable part of the traineeship programme would be the industrial assignments - this is where we get to put what we have learned in the workshops into practical use..would definitely recommend ppl to join Aceplp...

kanzie88

Reaction score
post: 1 ... Ah Gong is definitely a trust worthy reviewer!!! lets all listen to him and join acelep

cenario78

Reaction score
Everything unlearn belongs to yourself, and u deserve 99% credit for that cause its your effort but the company is taking 50% of your revenue...I did not devalue the worth of drafting ... I am just stating the facts for people who have ever done it before... Don't just think of all the goodies that entails drafting... Understand whether it suits you... It doesn't suit everybody

They give trainees a support system for your development and growth.

They train you, they find companies for you to work in, trainers can/must help you when you face problems at workplace and you get an allowance.

If you can do the above yourself, go ahead. If you cannot, then humble yourself.

To provide this support system, for training they need (computers, software, office space, trainers), administrative work (HR, clerks, managers etc ).

How in the world can they function if they don't shave off 40% of your pay to drive this support system? There's a price to pay for everything. So put everything in its proper context before stating things like 99% credit goes to you when so many things are going on around YOU to make things happen for YOU.

kanzie88

Reaction score
They give trainees a support system for your development and growth.

They train you, they find companies for you to work in, trainers can/must help you when you face problems at workplace and you get an allowance.

If you can do the above yourself, go ahead. If you cannot, then humble yourself.

To provide this support system, for training they need (computers, software, office space, trainers), administrative work (HR, clerks, managers etc ).

How in the world can they function if they don't shave off 40% of your pay to drive this support system? There's a price to pay for everything. So put everything in its proper context before stating things like 99% credit goes to you when so many things are going on around YOU to make things happen for YOU.

If you need to shave off 40% of our salary to run your business.. than its not a really economical business... should just get in a company and let them train you... for a salary as well

Shinji Ikari

Reaction score
Amazing thread.

so many new members with low post.

is the company so desperate and dumb?

SinkieHatingSinkie

Reaction score
I have totally 0 engineering experience and education but they sent me an email inviting me to interview for this job :O

A bit tempted to go because curious

SyraLeo

Master Member
Reaction score
lol this thread still going today?

i suggest just finding a job to learn yourself, if the company is willing to invest in you.

i joined a company with only the basics, ended up learning a lot more on my own. my company didnt send me for training... which i should have fought for, nearly everything have to learn on my own.

now that i think of it... quite typical of a singaporean sme.

SinkieHatingSinkie

Reaction score
lol this thread still going today?

i suggest just finding a job to learn yourself, if the company is willing to invest in you.

i joined a company with only the basics, ended up learning a lot more on my own. my company didnt send me for training... which i should have fought for, nearly everything have to learn on my own.

now that i think of it... quite typical of a singaporean sme.

this sort of thing got 2 scenarios:

You got no XP but company willing to invest in you (genuine case rare, most likely will be like the company in this thread)

You got no XP but company willing to send you for short course (usually is the company require ALL employees in the same job to have some skills/knowledge so they send new staff to the same course their seniors took years back)

In my working life, nobody send me for any useful course, everything i have to learn+pay+take leave for myself

LifeLongLearning

Reaction score
trainee CADD/BIM engineer/operator?

This is my first post in hwz. So the very first post started back in Feb 2011 and indeed, this posts continues on because the company is still growing and riding along the strong wave of the construction sector - mrt, hospitals, housing estates, commercial buildings etc.

Based on the colourful responses thus far, it is fair to conclude that everyone's perspectives differ, not only based on character, but also on their experiences. Moreover, the question still remains relevant today, and let's give it a slight twist: Anyone ever worked as a trainee CADD/BIM engineer/operator? I shall try to answer the question and also give some of my own opinions from a neutral stance.

The construction industry is currently undergoing a major shift from 2D CADD autocad and microstation drawings to 3D Revit and aecosim (mainly for LTA projects) due to authority submission requirements. Therefore, if you are interested in (1) software, (2) career in a construction industry, (3) buildings/architecture/mechanical or electrical systems, then regardless of which company you go to, using Revit will be an essential skill that needs to be picked up, along with basic 2D CAD skills.

What will a trainee the CADD/BIM engineer/operator do? First you will receive essential training on 2D CAD skills, followed by 3D modelling skills. Next, you will be attached to different companies, and the time period will depend on the contract period. Here is where the crux of the issue lies. Regardless of which career you go, there will always be a (1) learning phase, (2) adaptation phase and finally an (3) application phase that continues to repeat in an endless cycle. It is important to understand that learning is not something that is given, one has to continually seek out new things to learn, to question and to invoke a sense of curiosity. Only when the right learning attitude has been established, then can one perform very well in his role during the attachment. Personally, I have seen people who adopt a wrong learning attitude, they prefer to stay under the shadow of the supervisor, awaiting instructions like a child. There are also other, whom are like lost sheep, people who have no idea how to chart their life journey in this world and many tend to take a laid back approach towards learning. However, when one starts to take ownership of his work, and treat it like his own child, he begins to try, learn, resolve, spend time and effort to mould his child. Then he will begin to understand his own worth, that he is like a third or forth arm of the supervisor.

Now, that we have dealt with how one should approach a career or any job, let's move on to the next issue, salary. People tend to associate salary with their self worth, and it is an issue that often goes deep with people, evoking strong emotions of happiness, pride, anger, hatred, disappointment and many more. The most important question is this: Is the salary sufficient to make ends meet? If it isn't, then you should obviously be looking for another job because a job is something that keeps you alive and not the other way around! However, there may be some good reasons why one should join a job when the salary is not sufficient are: The job is essential to for the career path that you have decided on (for instance a professional engineer or architect needs to work in a consultant firm), or your family has sufficient reserves to tide you until your salary increases beyond the break even point. Once you have worked out whether the salary is sufficient or not, and made a decision, then what matters will be back to the learning attitude. Regreting a decision is fine, feeling a variety of mixed emotions over it is ok as well, but what matters is we pick ourselves up, reorganize our priorities and make a new decision - to stay or leave.

Ultimately, we are the ones in charge of our lives. The construction industry is not one for the faint hearted. It is one full of stress, long hours, arguments, etc. A positive attitude goes a long way towards managing your career in this or any industry. I would rather be a bright orange every day, smiling both outside and inside, rather than a sour plum, gloomy and unapproachable. (If you do not believe me, try to fake a smile and gauge whether you feel slightly better or worse). If you find that you are not suited to it, try the other industries, some obviously pay better than others; it is common to hear people say that engineers migrate to the financial industry due to better financial prospect.

Last edited:

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
this is mind blowing :s13:

in this industry, if u r willing to take 1.5k pay as a junior cadder in a construction firm, the snr is willing to teach you. after 2 years, u can pretty much jump or ask company to sponser u to learn microstation.

FIRST time in mai life I read sign bond to learn cad? my toes are laughing.

I dunno train how many people cadding for free at work.

read again FOR FREE this is how easy cadding is.

whereas on the other hand revit does need some teaching but with Youtube ard, it isn't that hard to pick up.

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
this sort of thing got 2 scenarios:

You got no XP but company willing to invest in you (genuine case rare, most likely will be like the company in this thread)

You got no XP but company willing to send you for short course (usually is the company require ALL employees in the same job to have some skills/knowledge so they send new staff to the same course their seniors took years back)

In my working life, nobody send me for any useful course, everything i have to learn+pay+take leave for myself
3rd scenario, no xp, willing to beo snrs n self teach self learn =)

I did that from drafter to designer to engineer to specs

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.