Prepaid SIM cards in Thailand

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was calling my mum on another dtac number. shes also on dtac but she took the 49 bhat + 100 bhat call credit option instead.

Er i didn't experience what you did but when I left BKK today i still had around 60 bhat left.

There were a few times I called her and I got some music connecting tone then the call rejected ( i suspect that was a cross line)

And maybe one or two times the call got rejected straight away though my mum says that she never received the call.

We communicated by whatsapp most of the time.
ok.. thanks for the info

suangern

Reaction score
Phuket airport gives free sim card, Hatyai also (last time lah, now not sure).

Happy journey! :s12:

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those who visits Thai frequently shld get the Happy Smartphone sim. Can extend the life of your SIM by 3 times the amount when you top up. Tourist sim top up only extend by 1 week.

white_coffee

Reaction score
49 bhat Happy Tourist SIM does not have the DTAC WiFi but you get 1 day unlimited 3G/ Edge internet and you can top up for 49 bhat a day by dialing *104*29*9# more info here

i dont quite understand. since got 3g, y still need to use wifi??
cant we just on the wifi function on our iphone itself? :s11:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i dont quite understand. since got 3g, y still need to use wifi??
cant we just on the wifi function on our iphone itself? :s11:

Err, cos wifi consumes less battery, plus its generally faster and more stable than 3g. Not sure abt DTAC's wifi though since i never try it b4. Will try it this trip.

Yea, you need to have a wifi access point to connect to mah. Tats where the DTAC wifi comes in lor. Else you have to go to places which offer foc wifi ... which is most cafes in BKK actually :D

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got the dtac happy 299 card from their airport booth. The 3g is faster than our 4g. Calls are dirt cheap. Also get the staff to help u activate ur sim. Sharing my unlimited 3g with my friends. Now in ayuttaya.

Only got 1 gb data. Not unlimited. It is misleading. also speed is slow at some part of bkk. outside bkk is faster

Last edited:

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only the expiry date. Happy tourist sim every top up only extend by 1week. Happy smarthphone sim every top up extend by 1 mth(top more can extend longer).

Mine now can last till jan 2014. Going to top up when i'm there next mth or can even top up online. U still can add the 299thb 7days unlimited internet for the happy smartphone sim.

I travel to Thai than 4x per year and i dun want the hassle of queuing up for sim card whenever i'm there. Instant internet access the moment i step out from the plane.:D

Got what diff ar? :s11:

Last edited:

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I buy the dtac happy tourist 300baht prepaid card in any 7-11 or convenience store or gotta buy from their main store? Thanks!

Beno777

Reaction score
Can I buy the dtac happy tourist 300baht prepaid card in any 7-11 or convenience store or gotta buy from their main store? Thanks!

Can be bought from any 7-11 but subjected to their stock availablity of each store.

jeaimentvous

Reaction score
Tried the main store a few days back at MBK; no stock. Went to one of those small handphone shops and was quoted 499 baht with configuration. I bargain until 299 baht; wholesale price without config. Put in my phone, switch on.. Working already. Don't need any config. I using BB so need to call and activate the BB plan which is ~80 baht for 1 week.

buibuisnail

Reaction score
so which type of local SIM card should i get for 3/4 days? for calling overseas & data plan

Beno777

Reaction score
airport dtac store have or not?

Once u come out from the custom check, turn right walk straight and u will see the dtac counters plus counters of other telsco. Alternatively, u may go up to lvl 3 and buy from the 7-11.

BlitzStryker

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get the dtac Happy Tourist Sim 299 at Bangkok train station?

Which train station? Airport alr got the Dtac shop. Can got 7/11 at airport selling too.

As above. Can buy from shop and 7/11. 299 baht. Just insert sim card and follow sms instruction or paper instructions. All in Eng, no worries.

airport dtac store have or not?

As above. Can buy from shop and 7/11. 299 baht. Just insert sim card and follow sms instruction or paper instructions. All in Eng, no worries.

so which type of local SIM card should i get for 3/4 days? for calling overseas & data plan

Dtac? 299baht with free unlimited 3g for 7days with 100bahts of free calls at 3baht/min for oversea call.

If not enough call-time,they got special rate that will be sms to you once you insert their sim card. I rem quite good de. Just used it last week,promo shd be still availabe.

Reaction score
recently i tried the AIS - http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/th/visiting/travelersim.aspx
it is not bad for a 299baht and runs on 3G 2100MHz. But have data quota of 1GB and after that will be 64kbps speed

But DTAC runs on 3G 850MHz, so some phones used the DTAC sims, it will be at most Edge speed. As most sg phones is not buildin with 3G 850MHz modules.

As AIS is running on 3G 2100MHz, it compatible with most phones.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.