Mouse pointer lag/freezing

Sim Kai Long

Reaction score
Hi guys,

recently after I've noticed this happening on a more frequent basis. When I move my mouse pointer, the whole screen will occasionally freeze for around 3~5 seconds before it moves again. Also, when the freezing/lag happens, restarting the desktop fixes it. But it'll come back again after a day or so.

Additionally, the "pointer" itself will be unresponsive. Even when it's able to move (not hanging), the pointer's image is often lagging behind. I.E, when I hover over a text link, it doesn't become the "hand" icon, but only changes after a few seconds to that. Sometimes even giving a weird-coloured "I" of sorts.

Hope someone can provide guidance on this issue. :(

xiaodouya

Reaction score
no idea. But i googled online, there were many such issues.

why not tell us what mouse you are using? i assume its wireless? could it be low battery causing all these?

Fiery84

Reaction score
It seems i am experiencing the same issue after i got my new PC, wonder what could be causing this. I am using windows 7.

NCMK

Master Member
Reaction score
TS, you have the same problem i have recently. Realized its a Nvidia driver issue. Try using the latest driver given by your gfx manufacturer and monitor again instead of using nvidia's latest drivers. I did solve this problem when i downgrade my gfx driver. FYI, im using MSI GTX 560 TI.

Hope this will end your headache.

Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try in safemode see if same problem. If no problem its software issue

Sim Kai Long

Reaction score
no idea. But i googled online, there were many such issues.

why not tell us what mouse you are using? i assume its wireless? could it be low battery causing all these?

I'm currently using a Razer Deathadder 2013 (Could it be the Razer Synapse 2.0 software?) It's not a wireless mouse too.

It seems i am experiencing the same issue after i got my new PC, wonder what could be causing this. I am using windows 7.

Windows 7 Ultimate here too. Damn sian now because of this as I have to occasionally reboot here and there.

TS, you have the same problem i have recently. Realized its a Nvidia driver issue. Try using the latest driver given by your gfx manufacturer and monitor again instead of using nvidia's latest drivers. I did solve this problem when i downgrade my gfx driver. FYI, im using MSI GTX 560 TI.

Hope this will end your headache.

I will definitely try this as I've a hunch it could be an issue with the nVidia drivers as I've read that recent drivers from them are not stable. However, the one I've downloaded from the manufacturer's site seems to redirect to nVidia's download link.

The file name is different, the name is "320.49-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql.exe" for the nVidia site, and "320.49-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe" for the one from Palit.

BTW, I'd like to check with you if yours was and on-and-off thing as well? For example, I'm using my desktop to post this right now without any issues for the mouse/freezing of screen.

download Intel burnintest

run 10 cycle max ram.

open task manager and check

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor 4 threads on the CPU History is running at full load and Ram too.

The software won't install lol. I got it from the Intel website? Is that the right one?

Try in safemode see if same problem. If no problem its software issue

I'll try this last, because this issue happens randomly so I can't be in safe mode for a week just to test right..?

Last edited:

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try un-install your Razer Synapse 2.0 software.
btw, I am using deathadder black edition w/o install razer stuff.

NCMK

Master Member
Reaction score
I will definitely try this as I've a hunch it could be an issue with the nVidia drivers as I've read that recent drivers from them are not stable. However, the one I've downloaded from the manufacturer's site seems to redirect to nVidia's download link.

The file name is different, the name is "320.49-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql.exe" for the nVidia site, and "320.49-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe" for the one from Palit.

BTW, I'd like to check with you if yours was and on-and-off thing as well? For example, I'm using my desktop to post this right now without any issues for the mouse/freezing of screen.

The software won't install lol. I got it from the Intel website? Is that the right one?

I'll try this last, because this issue happens randomly so I can't be in safe mode for a week just to test right..?

320.49 was the one i was using when it caused the same issues as yours. I have downgraded to 306.97 and no more such problems re-occured. The issues you faced will only happen more than 10 mins later when you are surfing; facing constant freezing/hanging plus a red color "I" or a very big hand icon.

wuweiz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I used to have same issue with razor mouse. Can't remember which one i used. I change mouse and everything becomes normal.

Why not u change your mouse and see what happens first?

Sim Kai Long

Reaction score
320.49 was the one i was using when it caused the same issues as yours. I have downgraded to 306.97 and no more such problems re-occured. The issues you faced will only happen more than 10 mins later when you are surfing; facing constant freezing/hanging plus a red color "I" or a very big hand icon.

Well FML, while I was cleaning the dust off the fans for the GTX 460, the fan blades broke. Now I have to change my whole graphics card. Zzz

Sim Kai Long

Reaction score
Yah sia. $300 fly off like that. Need to change graphic card.

What cards are value for money and under $300 nowadays? 3 years back GTX 460 was the bomb man.

Redberries

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Weirdly I have this problem too, just last week! The mouse pointer will disappear sometimes and it freezes the screen for a second on and off.
I reconnect the usb head and it seems okay. But later on I bought a new mouse. Any everything is okay.

So conclusion is that the computer definitely is not faulty

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.