Prepaid SIM cards in Thailand

the_dog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cant.. Only for Thai network by Dtac. Just use back SG sim card when back at SG?

Not true. My Dtac card is on roaming mode in Singapore with Starhub. I can also receive SMS from Dtac on PIN and balance.

blastbl00

Reaction score
guys..anyone knows how to "extend" happy tourist 7 days internet?
supposing i am staying 12 days..how to continue from day 8th onwards..?

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
back from Thailand. Got the Dtac happy tourist card at the airport dtac counter. they will help u change the sim, do the settings and test the phone before passing back to you. save the hassle plus most of their instruction and sms is in thai.

the broadband seem to be just 1gb and not unlimited as claims. like in sg, in the city, the speed slows to a snail pace at some locations. outside bkk is better speed.

once u reach 800mb data, they will send u sms to warn u. so yeah please take note not to send ur pics freely as if it is really unlimited..

thai to thai call is 1.5bht per min. thai to sg is 3bht per min. u get 100 bht worth of calls for 299 tourist happy sim.

my suggestion is to give AIS tourist sim 299 a try instead of getting dtac only.

Last edited:

holidayforever

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
back from Thailand. Got the Dtac happy tourist card at the airport dtac counter. they will help u change the sim, do the settings and test the phone before passing back to you. save the hassle plus most of their instruction and sms is in thai.

the broadband seem to be just 1gb and not unlimited as claims. like in sg, in the city, the speed slows to a snail pace at some locations. outside bkk is better speed.

once u reach 800mb data, they will send u sms to warn u. so yeah please take note not to send ur pics freely as if it is really unlimited..

thai to thai call is 1.5bht per min. thai to sg is 3bht per min. u get 100 bht worth of calls for 299 tourist happy sim.

my suggestion is to give AIS tourist sim 299 a try instead of getting dtac only.

Really meh? Last year, i used DTAC, i at night everyday download one movie on my phone, nvr receive any warning

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really meh? Last year, i used DTAC, i at night everyday download one movie on my phone, nvr receive any warning

yes now is changed liao. they will send u a sms when u reach 800mb. dun believe go ahead and buy loh.

nuclear_pup

Reaction score
yes now is changed liao. they will send u a sms when u reach 800mb. dun believe go ahead and buy loh.

Think u got the Happy Internet package where u only have up to 1gb bandwidth at 42mbps and after u exceed , your speed is capped at 384kbps,.

Just check on dtac website and the happy tourist sim package still has unlimited 3G for 7 days . Anyway will see when I'm there next month

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think u got the Happy Internet package where u only have up to 1gb bandwidth at 42mbps and after u exceed , your speed is capped at 384kbps,.

Just check on dtac website and the happy tourist sim package still has unlimited 3G for 7 days . Anyway will see when I'm there next month

thats y i say is misleading. AIS is more clear cut in their prints. and is cheaper to sms and call in thai or back to sg

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/th/visiting/travelersim.aspx

my is definately is the tourist happy sim. i bought from the dtac booth at airport. i double confirm with him liao. it seem that the unlimited 7 days is limited to hi speed for 1gb and low speed of 64kbps after u used the 1gb. nevertheless they will send u a sms when 800mb is used.

i still have the simcard box with me.. wifi is unlimited thou

Last edited:

nuclear_pup

Reaction score
thats y i say is misleading. AIS is more clear cut in their prints. and is cheaper to sms and call in thai or back to sg

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/th/visiting/travelersim.aspx

my is definately is the tourist happy sim. i bought from the dtac booth at airport. i double confirm with him liao. it seem that the unlimited 7 days is limited to hi speed for 1gb and low speed of 64kbps after u used the 1gb. nevertheless they will send u a sms when 800mb is used.

i still have the simcard box with me.. wifi is unlimited thou

I have used the dtac happy tourist card the last time I was there , but in anyway will check when I am there next month .. They probably changed something or maybe the dtac staff at the counter was not sure and gave you the wrong card..

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have used the dtac happy tourist card the last time I was there , but in anyway will check when I am there next month .. They probably changed something or maybe the dtac staff at the counter was not sure and gave you the wrong card..

no way, the way that dtac staff handle my hp and the sim card cover has clearly wrote the "tourist happy card" i know he gave the correct one.. i just check my hp sms indeed it writes unlimited 3g but only 1gb at 42mb/s.

just give AIS 299 tourist sim a try

holidayforever

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no way, the way that dtac staff handle my hp and the sim card cover has clearly wrote the "tourist happy card" i know he gave the correct one.. i just check my hp sms indeed it writes unlimited 3g but only 1gb at 42mb/s.

just give AIS 299 tourist sim a try

I will check it out when i am in Bangkok later this month

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
guys..anyone knows how to "extend" happy tourist 7 days internet?
supposing i am staying 12 days..how to continue from day 8th onwards..?

https://store.dtac.co.th/mobile/irefill?lang=en&go=eshopTopup.topup

quite simple. ;)

the_dog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows whether the Dtac Happy Tourist SIM really expires after 35 days and cannot be refilled ?

I bought one last month from Bangkok and think it expires mid Aug, but I will be going Phuket again this month and thought of re-using it instead of getting new SIM.

MrKent

Reaction score
Anyone knows whether the Dtac Happy Tourist SIM really expires after 35 days and cannot be refilled ?

I bought one last month from Bangkok and think it expires mid Aug, but I will be going Phuket again this month and thought of re-using it instead of getting new SIM.

You can top up online via dtac website using cc

the_dog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can top up online via dtac website using cc

Yah I was going to do that before the 35th day but does that extend the card validity and by how long ?

No point topping up if the SIM has a fixed expiry date.

MrKent

Reaction score
Yah I was going to do that before the 35th day but does that extend the card validity and by how long ?

No point topping up if the SIM has a fixed expiry date.

it will be extended, but not too sure how long, three months from top up date i think, so don't top up too early.

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
from happy prepaid card guide:

" happy prepaid SIM cards comes with a validity date.
the validity gets extended every time u top up.
if no refill is made within 45 days after the SIM current validity date, the SIM card will expire.

note : maximum accumulation of validity is 90 days. "

~~~~~~~~~~

hope it helps. :)

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
i see a lot mention that when buying dtac happy tourist sim, need to hand the phone to the salesperson to activate. can't it be done by oneself?

u can do it yrself.
but
since I'm paying for it , must well use their service.
no worries I dun think they will scratch ur iPhone or Samsung. ;)

LonelyMan

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need advice. I am going on a backpacking trip to Thailand, mainly in the remote western and northern parts of Thailand for about 40-45 days.

Questions:

1) Does AIS or dtac actually cover those areas for internet?

2) I will first appear in major city area (Bangkok/Kanchanaburi), disappear into the mountain areas before appearing again in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai back to Bangkok. Which plan would suit me with unlimited data?

TIA

coey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just came back from bkk, not sure if anyone is interested in my dtac tourist sim(for free) ?There is still about 70 thb inside which u can use to make calls or make a top up to extend the life of it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.