Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

jasonho

Reaction score
RouterPro TCP on N66U gives me 20+Mbps.
StealthVPN UDP on my PC gives me 100+Mbps.
Both are referring to US server.

Is your N66U using ASUS Merlin firmware ? I am keen to sign up for this VPN routerpro , just wondering if its worth .

rescapind

Reaction score
Is your N66U using ASUS Merlin firmware ? I am keen to sign up for this VPN routerpro , just wondering if its worth .

Astrill applet on my N66U:
- OpenVPN, UDP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~5Mbps
- OpenVPN, TCP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~10Mbps
- RouterPro VPN, UDP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~13Mbps
- RouterPro VPN, TCP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~20Mbps
Router CPU is the bottle neck here.

Best bet is still running the client on the PCs. So if you use HTPC, it would be perfect.
I also tried the VPN sharing thing. But still having some issue with it.

jasonho

Reaction score
Astrill applet on my N66U:
- OpenVPN, UDP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~5Mbps
- OpenVPN, TCP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~10Mbps
- RouterPro VPN, UDP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~13Mbps
- RouterPro VPN, TCP, Port 443, server USA - Los Angeles 2 --> ~20Mbps
Router CPU is the bottle neck here.

Best bet is still running the client on the PCs. So if you use HTPC, it would be perfect.
I also tried the VPN sharing thing. But still having some issue with it.

Hmm, thats interesting. I wonder how the AC66U or even AC56U with dual core CPU will fare since you mentioned Router CPU is the bottle neck.

Thanks for sharing..

stiwipl

Reaction score
Hmm, thats interesting. I wonder how the AC66U or even AC56U with dual core CPU will fare since you mentioned Router CPU is the bottle neck.

Thanks for sharing..

From what I read RT-AC66U = RT-N66U in terms of hardware.
RT-AC56U has dual-core CPU and according to this post OpenVPN runs 3x faster than AC66U.

luckyguitar

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is Astrill vpn as fast as DNS services like Unotelly? Few months back i signed up with Boxpn and they are damn slow, so i cancelled and got a refund. Unotelly is fast but they don't support some of the websites that i want to view. Just wanna know if there are any vpn service with speed comparable to Unotelly.

stiwipl

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is Astrill vpn as fast as DNS services like Unotelly? Few months back i signed up with Boxpn and they are damn slow, so i cancelled and got a refund. Unotelly is fast but they don't support some of the websites that i want to view. Just wanna know if there are any vpn service with speed comparable to Unotelly.

VPN will never be faster than DNS solution but it might work / stream better due to different routing. For instance Netflix can stream better through VPN than DNS. You can check SmartDNS from Overplay, they might support bigger range of websites than Unotelly.

luckyguitar

Reaction score
VPN will never be faster than DNS solution but it might work / stream better due to different routing. For instance Netflix can stream better through VPN than DNS. You can check SmartDNS from Overplay, they might support bigger range of websites than Unotelly.

Thanks for the explanation. The only vpn i have tried is Boxpn which is way to slow, i wasn't able to stream Netflix on high settings let alone HD. After that i hesitated to try other vpns since i already have Unotelly. I have actually contacted Overplay through their online chat. The agent who i spoke to said a level 2 tech will email me later with some info.

What i'm looking for is a vpn that can stream HD quality videos smoothly. Don't have to be as quick as Unotelly, any suggestions?

stiwipl

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. The only vpn i have tried is Boxpn which is way to slow, i wasn't able to stream Netflix on high settings let alone HD. After that i hesitated to try other vpns since i already have Unotelly. I have actually contacted Overplay through their online chat. The agent who i spoke to said a level 2 tech will email me later with some info.

What i'm looking for is a vpn that can stream HD quality videos smoothly. Don't have to be as quick as Unotelly, any suggestions?

Both, Private Internet Access and Astrill are getting good reviews. You may try the latter for 7 days without paying upfront.

Asakura

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i tried PIA, can cancel within 7days, but rmb to do so in ur 4th day bcos the process is very slow with their CSO. i managed to get my refund.
no problems with them, i cancelled due to the lack of servers to more location.
i was just trying speeds

stiwipl

Reaction score
i tried PIA, can cancel within 7days, but rmb to do so in ur 4th day bcos the process is very slow with their CSO. i managed to get my refund.
no problems with them, i cancelled due to the lack of servers to more location.
i was just trying speeds

So what speeds you were getting? On which ISP? How did you measure the speed (speedtest is not really a good measurement tool for VPN).

stiwipl

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing..

I bought AC56U but I am struggling to install Astrill applet properly. I followed their manual on how to do it on Merlin firmware, tried both via web GUI and telnet and it fails to install. I have a trial account with Astrill, could this be a reason? On PC I have all modes including Stealth VPN available for trial period, so I see no reason why Apllet would not install.

Anyone had similar issues?

oric1

Reaction score
is Strongvpn faster than Astrill?

Not sure about StrongVPN but for Astrill, these are speed I'm getting for US & Local server.

USWC_zps8bf08af4.png

SGUSA_zps761ec330.png

stiwipl

Reaction score
As I am on trial I don't have access to Singapore servers. What is Singapore (USA) server to be exact? Does it unblock US geo-restrictied services?

luckyguitar

Reaction score
As I am on trial I don't have access to Singapore servers. What is Singapore (USA) server to be exact? Does it unblock US geo-restrictied services?

Yes i'm interested to know as well.

Just to update, i tried another provider, this time is IBVPN. Their agent was very helpful, and they have a trial. Unfortunately i couldn't get any of their servers to stream at high quality on my amazon instant video test. I got the lowest setting on auto for all the usa servers. Ironically i ran a few speedtests from their usa servers with verizon speedtest page and actually got average 3-8mbps speed, but i just couldn't get this speed when streaming amazon instant. Anyone have any idea why?

silverwolf

Reaction score
for me, im using hidemyass , speed wise it is decent. But for me it is the most value for money. I use it mainly to watch netflix, amazon instant and also access online shopping in US.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.