Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Announced!

karlheng

Reaction score
Oh no
Haha do u know if the kindle that qishan sell is ads or non-ads?
Japan version too?

Hmm... My colleagues and I bought it. No ads. Japanese characters on the outer box. Made in China. The guy at the shop said it's US set when queried - maybe he really meant "it can be used like a US set".

So, is this a Japanese set? Still worth it?

jeffyen2

Reaction score
Hmm... My colleagues and I bought it. No ads. Japanese characters on the outer box. Made in China. The guy at the shop said it's US set when queried - maybe he really meant "it can be used like a US set".

So, is this a Japanese set? Still worth it?

Interesting, I got one from Japan too and there're no Japanese characters. I guess if there are *only* Japanese characters on the box, it's a Japanese set then. (as in the serial number is associated with amazon.co.jp). It's definitely worth it, giving what is happening this week. I really like qisahn, especially their ingenious ways of getting inexpensive stock, and maybe it's better for them to be more transparent in their 'product listings'..

The unit will function as per normal. They are all the same. Just that if there's a support issue, Amazon US will know that it's from Japan and may decline supporting it. It costs around S$130 delivered to Singapore, but Amazon Japan no longer sells it to non-residents. Just a few days ago, Kindle Paperwhites (WiFi) are all out of stock at amazon.com

Last edited:

karlheng

Reaction score
Interesting, I got one from Japan too and there're no Japanese characters. I guess if there are *only* Japanese characters on the box, it's a Japanese set then. (as in the serial number is associated with amazon.co.jp). It's definitely worth it, giving what is happening this week. I really like qisahn, especially their ingenious ways of getting inexpensive stock, and maybe it's better for them to be more transparent in their 'product listings'..

The unit will function as per normal. They are all the same. Just that if there's a support issue, Amazon US will know that it's from Japan and may decline supporting it. It costs around S$130 delivered to Singapore, but Amazon Japan no longer sells it to non-residents. Just a few days ago, Kindle Paperwhites (WiFi) are all out of stock at amazon.com

I guess Amazon just adds an additional wrapper (box) with Japanese characters on the "US set" and sells as "Japanese set". Yes, given the latest situation at Japan, mine was a reasonable good deal. Warranty could be an issue though - maybe I can clarify with Qisahn over chat.
Update: Qisahn clarified that 1-year warranty is with amazon.com. That's US warranty I suppose.

Last edited:

jeffyen2

Reaction score
I guess Amazon just adds an additional wrapper (box) with Japanese characters on the "US set" and sells as "Japanese set". Yes, given the latest situation at Japan, mine was a reasonable good deal. Warranty could be an issue though - maybe I can clarify with Qisahn over chat.
Update: Qisahn clarified that 1-year warranty is with amazon.com. That's US warranty I suppose.

The question you can ask them is: where was the kindle obtained from. It is mostly just an academic finding as they will surely do what it takes to fix any issue if it arises. I wont really be too concerned. Technically it is not just the box but the serial number is also flagged differently. I have seen this myself and so has Sesame Street in an earlier post in this thread.

Last edited:

duffie

Reaction score
Not sure actually I don't remember anything on the paper that said non-ad.

Well, it is and they never stock it. I just came back from them. They only order it upon customer request, takes at least 2 weeks from the US. Only the flyer in the window says "in stock".

Last edited:

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
on monday I saw the kindle touch being carried by a guy in working clothes without any case whatsoever

I am Starting to feel any cover is heavy already.

Wonder if I could just throw it in a soft drawstring pouch and carry around instead.

I do have the basic screen protector.

I also have the invisible armour liquid. Need to reapply every 3-6 months though but wonder how good it is at preventing scratches.

zacharyandrew

Reaction score
on monday I saw the kindle touch being carried by a guy in working clothes without any case whatsoever

Wonder if I could just throw it in a soft drawstring pouch and carry around instead.

I also have the invisible armour liquid. Need to reapply every 3-6 months though but wonder how good it is at preventing scratches.

My friend and I don't use covers at all but then again I'm pretty paranoid about how and where I keep my kindle so it's still in good shape. Been more than half a year now.

feist_

Reaction score

I toss my kindle into my bag everywhere i go! with keys and stuff.
still scratchless :) and i'm quite rough with my stuff.. heh

of course, i didnt start out this way.. i just kept procrastinating on getting a cover...

anw kindle got v little resale value! enjoy it for what it is - a light, mobile reader. no need to protect like iphone :)

jeffyen2

Reaction score
I toss my kindle into my bag everywhere i go! with keys and stuff.
still scratchless :) and i'm quite rough with my stuff.. heh

of course, i didnt start out this way.. i just kept procrastinating on getting a cover...

anw kindle got v little resale value! enjoy it for what it is - a light, mobile reader. no need to protect like iphone :)

The cover is actually to protect the screen in case it is dropped from the hand while reading. The second scenario is to protect it from being broken if squeezed in bag. (The cover prevents a sharp point of force over a small area.) Screen protector... no need lah lol

feist_

Reaction score
ok cover it is then

though maybe getting an A5 envelope works as well haha.

for the longest time my friend used an envelope with bubblewrap inside..........

hmm... as for protecting against falling.. jeff made a good point.

The cover is actually to protect the screen in case it is dropped from the hand while reading.

oooo this has happened to me before.. lucky kindle's quite light! I'm usually able to fumble and catch :) haha maybe i should really buy a cover. (i tried looking for one, but none sexy and cheap)

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for the longest time my friend used an envelope with bubblewrap inside..........

hmm... as for protecting against falling.. jeff made a good point.

oooo this has happened to me before.. lucky kindle's quite light! I'm usually able to fumble and catch :) haha maybe i should really buy a cover. (i tried looking for one, but none sexy and cheap)

wouldn't buying some thing with grips behind the kindle and sticking on the kindle work?

Egrips Non-Slip Strips - Consumer & Promotional Products for Mobile Phones - Silicone Grip Material | Information

sanfong

Reaction score
Kindle PW WIFI only not on Amazon, 3G still available.

Any update on new Kindle coming up??

rife

Reaction score
Looks like they just announced an updated model of the paperwhite!

Happened to see it after requesting for a replacement for my slightly defective pw. They actually offered to send me a replacement without me returning the old device, after I casually mentioned that shipping it back will cost me too much. Really wonderful customer service from Amazon.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.