Your Playlist and Hi-Res Music

Blackmel

Reaction score
I understand guys are putting good money on portable audio setups.

While seeking a means to improve the audio from my Mac, I chance upon USB DAC(s). Which then led me to GEEK, a crowd funding initiative by Light Harmonic. That has piqued my interest with hi-res formats and sample rates.

Hence I'm curious as to what you guys are listening to, and where do you source out such hi-res music? Or is 192KHz, DSD, DXD, just for "future-proof"?

Nitrile

Honorary Member
Reaction score
lol Spotify ftw.
redbook has been a standard for years and most pple can't tell the difference.

read up on 24/192 here.
http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

it was also discovered that alot of HD tracks were just upsampled redbook files.. LOL

edit: i'm a premium subscriber of Spotify and Deezer so I can use them on my mobile and have 320k CBR MP3 (deezer) and 320 320k OGG Vorbis (spotify)

Last edited:

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DSD need to have the PS3 player.......................:(

For 192Khz, try to get torrent or do the convertion yourself If u have the DVD audio disc.

I think the frequency does not make much difference but the 24 bits do.

Last edited:

RazorLotus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mine are ripped from CDs using EAC.

So they're in flac.. some of them 1400+kbps, some 1100kbps and some 800-900kbps.

thankfully got 64gb memory card and i dont have too many songs at a go also so it's alright

SenGuards

Reaction score

So they're in flac.. some of them 1400+kbps, some 1100kbps and some 800-900kbps.

thankfully got 64gb memory card and i dont have too many songs at a go also so it's alright

Same here, FLAC for the win! :s13:

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is so easy to use and yet allows so much configurations :s12:

I also use Mp3tag to manage the metadata, clear useless information like Disc no., Track no.

widget

Reaction score

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hard to find free DSD format.

The variety of songs for this format is quite limited.

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro,
Do share your finding on the SQ once you've listen to them.
I've a FLAC copy ripped from US-pressed CD...
If the SQ is better, I don't mind paying for the DSD version...
Thanks

Now my 50+ SACDs & DVD-A albums collecting dust after I sold my hifi rig

U can convert your DVD-A to 24bits 192KHz Flac using a free software ?

SenGuards

Reaction score
To my ears, the difference between 24Bit and 16Bit isn't as definite as the difference between FLAC and 320Kbps.

Still, I'd love to try more sources before deciding if I should just focus on mainstream music in FLAC or explore new genres for their 24Bit recording.

_dXter

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Same here, FLAC for the win! :s13:

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is so easy to use and yet allows so much configurations :s12:

I also use Mp3tag to manage the metadata, clear useless information like Disc no., Track no.

For the two of you Flac users, use this command line for uncompressed flac (which is wav packed in flac container at 1400kbps constant rate)
Uncompressed Flac - J.Mac - Computer Audio Asylum

_dXter

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between uncompressed FLAC and FLAC? :s11:

Thanks and pardon me, still learning :)

Uncompresed flac is wav packed in a flac file.
Compressed flac are 'zipped' wav files, i.e. compressed flac uses encoding to reduce file size. Each time you play, computer needs to decode in real time. So uncompressed flac will be an easier task for the computer as no decoding and reconstruction of data.

dBpoweramp's FLAC Lossless Uncompressed | AudioStream

SenGuards

Reaction score
Uncompresed flac is wav packed in a flac file.
Compressed flac are 'zipped' wav files, i.e. compressed flac uses encoding to reduce file size. Each time you play, computer needs to decode in real time. So uncompressed flac will be an easier task for the computer as no decoding and reconstruction of data.

dBpoweramp's FLAC Lossless Uncompressed | AudioStream

Sweet, thanks! Though I think it takes up more space, would definitely be worth trying.

Unfortunately, I don't know where or how to input the command line on EAC. :s13:

_dXter

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks! Though I think it takes up more space, would definitely be worth trying.

Unfortunately, I don't know where or how to input the command line on EAC. :s13:

Using EAC too, I go home tonight find and show you later.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.