[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiancez567

Reaction score
What is the difference between DS213 & DS213J? Looking at the price from PC show 2013 DS213J is $269. Comex 2013 also $269. Like no depreciate at all.. Looking for better deal.

213 n 213j main diff is the cpu spec...213j is quite new...usually til there is new series come out then there will b drop in price...anyway rrp for 213j is abt 368...269 is consider quite cheap already...

Thinking of getting the 213j also. Never bought NAS before. :o

jupiter12

Reaction score
prev 2 bay trade in at $50 with full packaging

Which distributor or booth allows the trade in of the Dlink NAS?
if we take out our hard disks in the Dlink NAS and put them into the Synology, will all my data be gone as well?

How you guys transfer out all your data before trading in the Dlink?

ghostly

Reaction score
Which distributor or booth allows the trade in of the Dlink NAS?
if we take out our hard disks in the Dlink NAS and put them into the Synology, will all my data be gone as well?

How you guys transfer out all your data before trading in the Dlink?

prev was ace tat did the trade in...u need to format the drive in DSM, so u need a ext enclosure to transfer to a blank hdd in the DS...

life_line

Reaction score
Running RAID 5 for 5x2TB on my trusty DS1511+

Do I need upgrade all five to 3TB or can i just upgrade two of them to enjoy a bit of space increase ?

you can use this calculator and see it visually:
http://www.synology.com/support/RAID_calculator.php

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/79279577-post31.html

just posted the above... and copying here to share again.

got a 1010 raid 5 which is full. prob getting 1813 raid 6. read more to do my due diligence and discovered the raid 5 controversy. you should understand the pros and cons before your purchase.

So caution for raid 5/6 in nas: disk failure will expose nas to unrecoverable read error and array failure. Risk is increased with increasingly larger capacity drives of non-enterprise grades. Remember to backup your backup before you lose your photo library.

2 links to get you going:

I come not to praise RAID-5… | Standalone Sysadmin

Amazon.com: Heather Terlecki's review of Synology DiskStation 8-Bay (Diskless) Netw...

focus esp on the comments. you may get confused after reading. don't be.
the articles are to make us aware of possible risks. then we manage the risks and buy what is needed up to our price tolerance and how much we value our data. also reminding myself that nas is for storage mainly... you still need to backup your backup!!!

anyone knows whether synology software raid controller does data scrubbing to repair the read errors?

Last edited:

mak888

Reaction score
Synology camera license

Hi,

I want to add another camera to my 213 nas, anyone know where I can get a license? Or how to mod my box to allow more cameras?

Cheers

chong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got a 1010 raid 5 which is full. prob getting 1813 raid 6. read more to do my due diligence and discovered the raid 5 controversy. you should understand the pros and cons before your purchase.

So caution for raid 5/6 in nas: disk failure will expose nas to unrecoverable read error and array failure. Risk is increased with increasingly larger capacity drives of non-enterprise grades. Remember to backup your backup before you lose your photo library.

2 links to get you going:

I come not to praise RAID-5… | Standalone Sysadmin

Amazon.com: Heather Terlecki's review of Synology DiskStation 8-Bay (Diskless) Netw...

focus esp on the comments. you may get confused after reading. don't be.
the articles are to make us aware of possible risks. then we manage the risks and buy what is needed up to our price tolerance and how much we value our data. also reminding myself that nas is for storage mainly... you still need to backup your backup!!!

Data integrity was important to me, so I went with RAID6 on a DS1512+ 4 disk array due to the supposed higher risk of drives failing during rebuild.

To be even more kiasu, all 4 drives are a mix of brands/models, as drives of the same make have a higher risk of failing in the same timeframe/way.

One thing I observed about comments on "enterprise drives + RAID + read errors" is that they are normally talking about hardware-RAID setups. All the consumer NAS are using software-RAID, which should be more forgiving on drives without TLER. To quote smallnetbuilder:

The responses I received from Synology, QNAP, NETGEAR and Buffalo all indicated that their NAS RAID controllers don't depend on or even listen to TLER, CCTL, ERC or any other similar error recovery signal from their drives. Instead, their software RAID controllers have their own criteria for drive timeouts, retries and when a drive is finally marked bad.

These software RAID controllers are generally more patient and wait significantly longer for drive response and execute more retries before finally giving up and marking a drive dead. While this may degrade performance slightly when dealing with drives with bad blocks, it's intended to reduce the occurrances of drives dropping out of RAID volumes and the subsequent long, risky rebuilds.

One thing on 2-drive redundancy: There is a read performance issue when using 4 drives and SHR-2. RAID6 is fine. If you're using >4 drives, then should be ok with either.

anyone knows whether synology software raid controller does data scrubbing to repair the read errors?

They added the feature to run scrubbing into the UI in DS4.2, but without any option to schedule it. For now the user has to create cronjob via CLI if he wants to schedule it. This thread has the info and links: Synology Inc. Online Community Forum • View topic - Raid 5/6 Data Scrubbing

Last edited:

netti

Reaction score
Been out of touch for a long time, which would be a better buy, the 1512 or 1513+? 100bux difference

Also saw 1812+ 8 bay also same price as 1513 at $1199! Wa which one to get

noted memory world one no free ram upgrade to 4gb but buy from other booth got free ram upgrade.

Lastly the WD red 2tb or 3tb is more stable?

Thx

I have the same questions. Thinking of 1513+ with 2 HDDs as I have 2 existing HDDs already when my NAS enclosure died.

ducky_88

Master Member
Reaction score
If I were to add another 3TB HDD to my 2nd slot, Will my files in 1TB HDD be gone?

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can anyone explain to me what is SHR all about in simple terms? :s22:
what im trying to do is to backup impt pics and stuff.. life memories
i have 2x3tb red and a wd green 500gb (kinda recycled from a faulty ext hdd) in it. use raid1 or smth else?

magneto23

Reaction score
Need some advice from the experts here please. Was thinking of getting a 5 bay or 8 bay NAS. Price wise, the 1512+ seems the most attractive. Was wondering if there would be a significant performance lag compared to the newer 1513 and 1813. Planning to primarily stream data and download. I understand that for torrenting, it can be done directly on the NAS, but it would have to be via Synology's internal client. Prefer to use my own client.

Appreciate any advice you guys might have. Thanks in advance.

ducky_88

Master Member
Reaction score
No. The NAS won't do anything to your existing partitions until you instruct it to do so.

Great. Now I will be relieve to put additional hdd into my enclosure without worries my data will loss.

ducky_88

Master Member
Reaction score
Who using starhub isp? Sh block port 80, how to port forward so that I can login remotely using Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.