Recommend me a portable rig!

fookboi

Reaction score
Hi all. Need experts help here. I have done my homework but it seem I still can't decide what to get.

Firstly, I'm looking for a portable rig for commuting and everyday use. I listen to acoustic, pop and classics.

I have a budget of 300, max 400. Looking to purchase daps, amp(if required) and a pair of iems( thinking between shure se215 or vsonic gr07)

Any recommendations will be helpful. Thanks for reading the thread and have a nice day!

Thanks alot!!!!

Rubick

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Need experts help here. I have done my homework but it seem I still can't decide what to get.

Firstly, I'm looking for a portable rig for commuting and everyday use. I listen to acoustic, pop and classics.

I have a budget of 300, max 400. Looking to purchase daps, amp(if required) and a pair of iems( thinking between shure se215 or vsonic gr07)

Any recommendations will be helpful. Thanks for reading the thread and have a nice day!

Thanks alot!!!!

Think now e1 got a bundle at $399 with fiio x3, leather case, shure se215 and a spc cable.
You might want to check that out

HOLYMOFO

Master Member
Reaction score
me no like shure iem so my advice is go for GR07 MK2 which lendmeurears currently selling at promo price or ask E1 if possible to bundle GR07 with FiiO x3 instead :s34:

Think now e1 got a bundle at $399 with fiio x3, leather case, shure se215 and a spc cable.
You might want to check that out

quite a good deal. TS can consider or head down E1 to audition to double confirm

SenGuards

Reaction score
bump it up a bit more and get the DX50

Have you heard the DX50?

OT: Perhaps you could go with a Sansa Clip+ to pair with the GR07 MK2? I know someone who uses this combination.

I don't think the GR07 requires amplification, but do try to demo them first. Usually bundles are just ways to get you to spend more, even though it may `save' you money, but I personally think money is better saved not getting the additional item(s).

fookboi

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for the over whelming responses.

Hmmm. I'm really new to this area so I'm really trying to keep the budget to that.

So judging from the response, I have the e1 combo to look at, sansa clip+ & gr07? Anything else? I don't mind any other recommendation for iems.

The dx50 might be slightly overbudget plus it's not out yet.

I'm really new to this so I hope you guys will understand if I sound stupid. Pardon me.

SenGuards

Reaction score

Hmmm. I'm really new to this area so I'm really trying to keep the budget to that.

So judging from the response, I have the e1 combo to look at, sansa clip+ & gr07? Anything else? I don't mind any other recommendation for iems.

If you're going to E1, you could also drop by Stereo Electronics at ION to try their vast selection of IEMs. Personally, I prefer the TDK IE800, though there's also the TDK BA200 which is quite popular around here. Don't be shy, just request for the demo and they can even lend you a iPod if you didn't bring your source. :)

Besides the Clip+, Sansa/Sandisk also offers other affordable DAPs which you may prefer, such as the Fuze/Clip Zip.

Wish you all the best :s12:

destrozer

Reaction score

I'm really new to this so I hope you guys will understand if I sound stupid. Pardon me.

There's no sounding stupid in this, bro. Started with a Clip at the start of the year too. Great stuff in that small package.

The gr07 is a great iem. I had one. Initial impressions wasn't very wow. But it definitely grows on you and before you know it, you'd start to appreciate it. :D

RazorLotus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Another up for gr07

I'm using Sansa clip+ and I love it.

If you can somehow get a FiiO x3, I would recommend that too

fookboi

Reaction score
If you're going to E1, you could also drop by Stereo Electronics at ION to try their vast selection of IEMs. Personally, I prefer the TDK IE800, though there's also the TDK BA200 which is quite popular around here. Don't be shy, just request for the demo and they can even lend you a iPod if you didn't bring your source. :)

Besides the Clip+, Sansa/Sandisk also offers other affordable DAPs which you may prefer, such as the Fuze/Clip Zip.

Wish you all the best :s12:

Hey. Thanks a lot. I will take note of them. One question though. Should I spend most of my budget getting a better dap like the x3 and then buy a cheaper iem? And upgrade later? What id the rule of thumb?

fookboi

Reaction score
There's no sounding stupid in this, bro. Started with a Clip at the start of the year too. Great stuff in that small package.

The gr07 is a great iem. I had one. Initial impressions wasn't very wow. But it definitely grows on you and before you know it, you'd start to appreciate it. :D

Hey man. Thanks a lot. Anyway, would you advice I spend more to get an x3 rather then spending 50 dollars on the clip+? What is the rule of thumb? Source first or iems&headphones first?

destrozer

Reaction score
Hey. Thanks a lot. I will take note of them. One question though. Should I spend most of my budget getting a better dap like the x3 and then buy a cheaper iem? And upgrade later? What id the rule of thumb?

i think it's subjective to me. The source and iem are the most important, but interchangeable on which comes first? I chose to get a better source first and slowing climb up the iem ladder because i find it fascinating to see the changes in sound as I change iem.

On a side note, i find myself being mildly excited yet another is gonna fall real deep into the audio hole.

Last edited:

SenGuards

Reaction score

Personally, I prefer to focus more on the IEM first, and try to let any sound signature/colouring be attributed to the IEM rather than the source.

Having said that, my upgrades were IEMs first, then Source:

1. ATH-M50 w/Clip+
2. Westone 4R
3. DX100
4. UM Miracle
5. AK120 (more of a complement to the DX100)

SenGuards

Reaction score
i think it's subjective to me. The source and iem are the most important, but interchangeable on which comes first? I chose to get a better source first and slowing climb up the iem ladder because i find it fascinating to see the changes in sound as I change iem.

On a side note, i find myself being mildly excited yet another is gonna fall real deep into the audio hole.

Your poison gradually takes effect, mine is just one shot. :s13:

RazorLotus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are pairing the clip+ with gr07? How is it? And why recommend the x3?

nope.

I'm just using the clip+

I've tried the gr07 before too. They're quite good for the price that you're paying for them.

Clip+ is nice and simple. Clean and plays lossless. only thing is probably battery life.

x3 because it was specifically designed to be cheap and good sound.

And cause of the amp stage also

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.