[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

netti

Reaction score
Same here. Enjoy!

just traded in the dns320. the lady didnt bother to test, just open and see the accessories, complete then take alr :s13: i threw my receipt in too.

Confirm trade in is at ACE? I only have the enclosure and power cable. Can I still do the trade in? Thanks.

I thinking of hooting 1513+ with 2 HDDs. Hopefully, they have free memory upgrade and bundle price for the HDDs.

ducky_88

Master Member
Reaction score
Confirm trade in is at ACE? I only have the enclosure and power cable. Can I still do the trade in? Thanks.

I thinking of hooting 1513+ with 2 HDDs. Hopefully, they have free memory upgrade and bundle price for the HDDs.

Only ace do trade in. No box deduct 10 bucks from e trade in nas.

lingcw

Reaction score
can anyone explain to me what is SHR all about in simple terms? :s22:
what im trying to do is to backup impt pics and stuff.. life memories
i have 2x3tb red and a wd green 500gb (kinda recycled from a faulty ext hdd) in it. use raid1 or smth else?

SHR vs Classic RAID (this is as simple an explanation as it get...).
image_1.jpg

With Classic RAID, in the image towards the left, the storage volume is created based upon the smallest disk within the Array. As the Classic RAID Array was created with a 500GB drive, then all drives within that array can only use 500GB of space per hard drive, effectively creating a 5x500GB RAID Volume.

With the SHR, as reflected in the right image, the SHR will create divide each disk into smaller chunks, creating additional redundant storage, and allowing the capacity of each disks to be utilized to its maximum capacity.

Also with the SHR, if the storage system is being upgraded with larger disks - the newer storage will be available for use as soon as two disks have been upgraded, as there is enough drives to create a redundant storage array. With Classic RAID - the entire storage volume will have to be upgraded to all new drives before the new storage can be used.

In your case:
1) with RAID 1, you will have 500GB of usable space.
2) with SHR, you will have 3.5TB of usable space.

bhkpop

Reaction score

Do you know whether ACE have the 0% installment like the PC show? Intending to buy.. First time user, so thinking going to hoot DS213j and 2x2TB bundle (if have)..

Anyway can PM me directly as well.. Thank you

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the 213j price in the current comex show is the same as last pc show right?

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SHR vs Classic RAID (this is as simple an explanation as it get...).
image_1.jpg

With Classic RAID, in the image towards the left, the storage volume is created based upon the smallest disk within the Array. As the Classic RAID Array was created with a 500GB drive, then all drives within that array can only use 500GB of space per hard drive, effectively creating a 5x500GB RAID Volume.

With the SHR, as reflected in the right image, the SHR will create divide each disk into smaller chunks, creating additional redundant storage, and allowing the capacity of each disks to be utilized to its maximum capacity.

Also with the SHR, if the storage system is being upgraded with larger disks - the newer storage will be available for use as soon as two disks have been upgraded, as there is enough drives to create a redundant storage array. With Classic RAID - the entire storage volume will have to be upgraded to all new drives before the new storage can be used.

In your case:
1) with RAID 1, you will have 500GB of usable space.
2) with SHR, you will have 3.5TB of usable space.

thanks for the reply. im concerned if the drives break down. i understand SHR allows one disk out of the array to spoil at any one time right? which means I can just take out the faulty one and replace it with another one with different capacity and let it rebuild?

also, how does it protect itself against data loss when the drive fails? raid1 does mirroring, but what about SHR? *sorry i don't really understand the other conventional raid types* :D

ducky_88

Master Member
Reaction score
Do you know whether ACE have the 0% installment like the PC show? Intending to buy.. First time user, so thinking going to hoot DS213j and 2x2TB bundle (if have)..

Anyway can PM me directly as well.. Thank you

Not that I know of. They bundle with only 1 hdd. Another u can get it at normal price..

impact94

Reaction score
let say i gg for 8 ip camera... how much storage space i should go for the nas? and how long the nas can backup the video recording, one week/month?

netti

Reaction score

Went down and hoot 1513+ from ACE @$1199. Deduct $40 for trade in. Got 2 x Seagate 3TB HDD @$198ea. Promo has free Foscam IP camera and upgrade to 4GB RAM for NAS. I forgot to check and didn't collect the free pillow that was part of the promo. Overall, I think ACE gave the best promo of all the booths selling Synology there today.

Going to try to set up the NAS tonight. Hopefully, goes smoothly. Speaking about this, I had 2 HDDs in RAID 1 on my old Dlink DNS323 before the NAS enclosure died. Will I be able to recover the files if I plug in one of these HDD into my computer or the Synology NAS? If not, any other way to recover the data? It's not really essential as I have cloud backup, but will be a whole lot faster to get started as recovery from the cloud will take a really long time.

Last edited:

Vulpix

Reaction score
Went down and hoot 1513+ from ACE @$1199. Deduct $40 for trade in. Got 2 x Seagate 3TB HDD @$198ea. Promo has free Foscam IP camera and upgrade to 4GB RAM for NAS. I forgot to check and didn't collect the free pillow that was part of the promo. Overall, I think ACE gave the best promo of all the booths selling Synology there today.

Going to try to set up the NAS tonight. Hopefully, goes smoothly.

Patience, a stable power source and some luck is all you need to get things working properly on a Synology. :D

Vulpix

Reaction score
Going to try to set up the NAS tonight. Hopefully, goes smoothly. Speaking about this, I had 2 HDDs in RAID 1 on my old Dlink DNS323 before the NAS enclosure died. Will I be able to recover the files if I plug in one of these HDD into my computer or the Synology NAS? If not, any other way to recover the data? It's not really essential as I have cloud backup, but will be a whole lot faster to get started as recovery from the cloud will take a really long time.

Copy the files to your PC first. No choice since DLINK file system probably not the same as Synology.

ducky_88

Master Member
Reaction score

Hope you can help me solve my problem too.:D
I got no idea how come I still can't access to my domain remotely? I had use their auto router configuration, Also my router is compatible with NAS.

netti

Reaction score
Copy the files to your PC first. No choice since DLINK file system probably not the same as Synology.

NAS enclosure dead, so no chance to copy to PC. Can just connect to PC and see if can read? If cannot, then looks like too bad liao. :(

lingcw

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. im concerned if the drives break down. i understand SHR allows one disk out of the array to spoil at any one time right? which means I can just take out the faulty one and replace it with another one with different capacity and let it rebuild?

Correct

also, how does it protect itself against data loss when the drive fails? raid1 does mirroring, but what about SHR? *sorry i don't really understand the other conventional raid types*

SHR basically "breaks-up" your HDD and form classic RAID on them (e.g. RAID-1 and RAID-5). So the protection against data loss is same/similar to classic RAID system.

:D

10 char....

ducky_88

Master Member
Reaction score
I store datas into my NAS HDD, and I also install cloudstation into my pc. Do they take up the same capacity as what it store in NAS HDD?

Last edited:

ghostly

Reaction score
NAS enclosure dead, so no chance to copy to PC. Can just connect to PC and see if can read? If cannot, then looks like too bad liao. :(

plug ur hdd into a ext 3.5" hdd enclosure... ur synology can read it off usb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.