[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

netti

Reaction score
I'm contemplating between getting a NAS or another external HDD.

Can share with me what you guys store in the NAS?
I was thinking just storing videos, photos and mp3s over in the NAS. Will it be alright if I point my itunes mp3 location to the NAS and play from the NAS?

Also, I was wondering if it's possible to install small programs on the NAS and run from there?

I got a NAS mainly for home business and essential stuff, like family videos/pics collection and scans of critical info. I also have quite a collection of videos and music, but strictly speaking, NAS is overkill for that as I can always create/download them again. But NAS has ability to run small applications which makes consumption of these very much more convenient. Note that number and variety of apps available is company dependent. I don't believe you can install your own programs on them though. Using itunes to access the NAS should be no prob.

Frankly, if info availability is not time critical, modern routers also have ability to run commonly used apps with external drives connected to them for storage, which was my previous setup. If not for robust and time-critical home business storage needs, I probably would have stuck to that till today with cloud backups of critical home stuff.

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got a NAS mainly for home business and essential stuff, like family videos/pics collection and scans of critical info. I also have quite a collection of videos and music, but strictly speaking, NAS is overkill for that as I can always create/download them again. But NAS has ability to run small applications which makes consumption of these very much more convenient. Note that number and variety of apps available is company dependent. I don't believe you can install your own programs on them though. Using itunes to access the NAS should be no prob.

Frankly, if info availability is not time critical, modern routers also have ability to run commonly used apps with external drives connected to them for storage, which was my previous setup. If not for robust and time-critical home business storage needs, I probably would have stuck to that till today with cloud backups of critical home stuff.
Thanks for the advice. You just reminded me that my modem allows that external hdd option.

I was actually more fascinated with the availability of data/content whilst I'm away from home. The only other cheap option is to use dropbox haha.

dante-z

Master Member
Reaction score
are all the synology using the same OS ? DSM ? such that capability is not software limited , just hardware limited ?

so if i buy 213j i can do anything as though i am on 213 , just slower / takes more time ?

mrkiasu

Reaction score
I think the unit must be brand new in box.

The model is out of production, don't see it in synology website but pretty sure can use and unless you need a faster cpu then the dual core 2.13ghz.

Is that new?

magneto23

Reaction score

magneto23

Reaction score

Egoistee

Reaction score
So happy that I just bought the DS412+. Just finish setting it up. The best part is I won a samsung galaxy tab2 and a $10 taka voucher from dbs lucky dip!

Before me had this auntie ask the guys to change her prize... argue her way there for 20mins.. and still cannot damn sia suay!

shadowandy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So happy that I just bought the DS412+. Just finish setting it up. The best part is I won a samsung galaxy tab2 and a $10 taka voucher from dbs lucky dip!

Before me had this auntie ask the guys to change her prize... argue her way there for 20mins.. and still cannot damn sia suay!

Congratulations! Can use the tab 2 to stream music and videos from the Synology music and video station liao. Hahaha

Egoistee

Reaction score
Ya.. gonna do that. Now just flash the Tab 2 to 4.2 Jelly bean.
Now my toilet time is gonna be a lot longer!

Btw, I just set the NAS up with 3 x 3TB Red. Its up and running.
I'm trying to transfer all the files into my NAS now. Once i'm done, i will have an additional 2TB which i intend to put it into the last slot.

Can this be done w/o affecting the existing data?

ducky_88

Master Member
Reaction score
Why I cannot access my home, homes folder? Out of sudden cannot, forget what setting I play till cannot. I have also checked my group is given the permission.

KMAWZWH.jpg

dd59Guv.jpg

Edited: problem solved.

Last edited:

quekky

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya.. gonna do that. Now just flash the Tab 2 to 4.2 Jelly bean.
Now my toilet time is gonna be a lot longer!

Btw, I just set the NAS up with 3 x 3TB Red. Its up and running.
I'm trying to transfer all the files into my NAS now. Once i'm done, i will have an additional 2TB which i intend to put it into the last slot.

Can this be done w/o affecting the existing data?
can, but cant addon to your existing 3x3TB. share it as a seperate dir

Egoistee

Reaction score
can, but cant addon to your existing 3x3TB. share it as a seperate dir
If i want it to be in my existing 3x3tb array i need to redo the whole thing?
If i'm willing to redo the whole thing, after say 1 yr, i decide to upgrade it to a 3TB... i can just take out n put in easily?

quekky

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i want it to be in my existing 3x3tb array i need to redo the whole thing?
If i'm willing to redo the whole thing, after say 1 yr, i decide to upgrade it to a 3TB... i can just take out n put in easily?
if you use SHR/RAID5 you can addon, but only if the new hdd is same or bigger size. 2TB is smaller than 3TB so it wun work.

romanohairi

Reaction score
very frustrating.... been trying to install since yesterday. Once installation completed, It shows lost connection. Unable to detect diskstation.

Tried to connect the DS213J direct to laptop. Able to login to DSM, it show system volume crashed. HDD is the new 3TB WD RED. After awhile its gave beeping sound every 2 secs...

I removed the HDD and formated in windows.... Now installing the DSM again.....
again after installation it lost connection. Will update later again..... AAARRRrrrgggggggg

hendrikch

Reaction score
1. Converting desktop to M-ITX/M-ATX
2. Storage/backup of pictures and videos
3. Streaming of HD video to anywhere within my house
4. Centralised server for content extraction

#2 and #4 are chicken feet to any decent NAS model.
#3 depends on how you are streaming. If it's directly from the shared folder, it falls under #2, so no issue, but if you're thinking of using Video Station or Plex to stream to iPad or mobile devices, get 412+
Not sure what you need for #1. If it's for download etc, no issue at all.

I was comparing the exact same thing as you before. In the end went for 412+ due to its Intel processor (so can run Plex) and 1GB RAM.

Last edited:

hendrikch

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.