[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter71

Reaction score
FYI

I've bought APC CS 500 (BK500EI) UPS for my 1513+ and it works 100%. It recognise the UPS in DSM and shows time lapse to power down. Hooted at $138 at Fuwell. Cybermind also same price.

Lg_2113

Reaction score
One thing i wanna learn more is DSCloud.

1) When you have a photo on your phone and you sync it, after syncing it and if you delete it from your phone, will it also disappear from your NAS?

2) If so, how and what are the preventive measures to stop it from deleting it? I just want to free up my phone's space.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think there is confusion here.

First of all, accessing a device installed within your own home or corporate network do not require a static IP. The problem that is faced by MR subscribers is not a matter of static IP. It is because the IP allocated to the subscribers are not publicly routable, or there is no NAT configured within their network to route from their public IP to your private IP.

I'm not a MR subscriber, as such I do not know what is the status of their network inner workings. However 2 possible causes of why MR subscriber are not able to access devices placed within your own network either
1) They didn't bother to configure the required NAT
2) Multiple subscribers are effectively sharing the same public IP and hence it is not possible to allocate same incoming port to more than one private IP. As such they won't open a can of worms providing such configuration.

Should your network subscription's IP address is publicly routable or NAT is configured mapping one public IP to one private IP, then all you need is a dynamic dns service provider to help map your dynamic public IP to a domain name. The client operating either in your router or your own host will help to update the dynamic name service provider records periodically.

For MR subscribers, it seems the only way is either purchase their static IP option and hence have a publicly routable IP, or you can turn to using reverse tunnel networking approach by utilizing a bridging server outside of your home network. If you own a VPS, you can potentially do that.

xJeris

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

First of all, accessing a device installed within your own home or corporate network do not require a static IP. The problem that is faced by MR subscribers is not a matter of static IP. It is because the IP allocated to the subscribers are not publicly routable, or there is no NAT configured within their network to route from their public IP to your private IP.

I'm not a MR subscriber, as such I do not know what is the status of their network inner workings. However 2 possible causes of why MR subscriber are not able to access devices placed within your own network either
2) Multiple subscribers are effectively sharing the same public IP and hence it is not possible to allocate same incoming port to more than one private IP. As such they won't open a can of worms providing such configuration.

Should your network subscription's IP address is publicly routable or NAT is configured mapping one public IP to one private IP, then all you need is a dynamic dns service provider to help map your dynamic public IP to a domain name. The client operating either in your router or your own host will help to update the dynamic name service provider records periodically.

For MR subscribers, it seems the only way is either purchase their static IP option and hence have a publicly routable IP, or you can turn to using reverse tunnel networking approach by utilizing a bridging server outside of your home network. If you own a VPS, you can potentially do that.

the last paragragh really chim..

Btw, by public IP, you mean the WAN IP right?:s11:

Lg_2113

Reaction score

Oic... So MR doesn't have Nat... Sorry... Non MR user too... My understanding of such things too shallow. Probably right... MR require static ip .

As I am a Singnet user, the tutorial can work as shown on the link... Ddns can le

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the last paragragh really chim..

Btw, by public IP, you mean the WAN IP right?:s11:

Yes when I refer to public IP, I'm referring to WAN IP. If you use the What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... service, you will see that public IP that the service observed. That may or may not correspond to the IP assigned to your router or device by your ISP. If it does, that means your ISP has issued you a public IP that is potentially accessible from the Internet directly provided non of the incoming ports are blocked.

If it's a private IP you observed within your network and the What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... service shows another IP, it is still potentially possible to connect from the Internet to your router should the necessary NAT rules are setup. Still whether incoming ports are open is subjective to the ISP.

The first option where public IP are issued is when the ISP is large and have sufficient public IP to issue out for subscribers to simultaneously used at the same time.

The 2nd option is where there are limited public IP addresses hence it is possible that 2 or more subscribers shared the same public IP. However no 2 subscribers will share the same public IP within the same lease time if the NAT of public -> private IP is singular.

The 3rd option is where there are really very limited public IP addresses from the ISP, and potentially 2 or more subscribers share the same public IP accessing the Internet, but are allocated private IP instead to differentiate them within the ISP network. This is a common scenario within SME since SME normally have very limited number public IP given, normally only 1. Hence all hosts within the corporate actually share only 1 public IP when connecting to the Internet. In such case, only 1 of the host in the corporate network can be port forwarded to host on one port. Suppose if the network is 172.16.1/255, and suppose there is a web server running at 172.16.1.2 serving at port 80, no other hosts in the corporate network can be used to host on port 80, while they may potentially serve at other different ports like 81, 82 etc. This is likely the case of MR, though I can't be 100% certain.

If this is not the technical limitation of MR, then basically the ISP don't offer subscribers such opportunity, except as a business decision that only static IP can do so. The reason is pretty obvious then. In any case, normally ISP do not normally allow services to be served within residential consumers network. This rule is normally explicitly listed in the T&C. As such the ISP have no obligation to perform port forwarding or open any incoming ports except those high ports above 1024 or even higher in the tens of thousands range for incoming connection.

As I have mentioned in the earlier post, suppose you have an external VPS which is outside of the ISP network at for example 170.4.234.5. Then what you can do is when you are accessing your NAS, you will access through 170.4.234.5. Between your NAS and the VPS, you need to setup a VPN network. In the VPS, you need to setup NAT rules to route from 170.4.234.5 to the VPN internal IP address of your NAS. Since the VPN is connected from your NAS to your VPS, hence this outgoing connection would have establish an existing route back and fro the VPS. Your VPS basically act as a jump point. This method should works for MR or any such network configuration behind firewall.

Another method does not involved VPN, but uisng SSH reverse tunnel technique to bridge from the NAS to the VPS. NAT rules on the VPS is still necessary, but the VPN is replaced using a secured channel via SSH.

While I suggest such technique, this technique has its own set of caveats and normally only achievable by fellas with sufficient network and Linux administrative skill sets. I saw that it requires $50/month(business only) with $50 one-time charge(resident only) to apply a static IP from MR. If you already have a VPS, or you are using AWS free web tier, it can be almost free depending on your usage.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oic... So MR doesn't have Nat... Sorry... Non MR user too... My understanding of such things too shallow. Probably right... MR require static ip .

As I am a Singnet user, the tutorial can work as shown on the link... Ddns can le

Yes both M1 and Singnet user do not require such complication since public IP are allocated.

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
Can I seek some experts.. I have a DS1511+ running on CAT6 cables to a gigabyte switch..

Is this speed okay ?

KQpdVZO.jpg

Reaction score
Yes when I refer to public IP, I'm referring to WAN IP. If you use the What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... service, you will see that public IP that the service observed. That may or may not correspond to the IP assigned to your router or device by your ISP. If it does, that means your ISP has issued you a public IP that is potentially accessible from the Internet directly provided non of the incoming ports are blocked.

If it's a private IP you observed within your network and the What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... service shows another IP, it is still potentially possible to connect from the Internet to your router should the necessary NAT rules are setup. Still whether incoming ports are open is subjective to the ISP.

The first option where public IP are issued is when the ISP is large and have sufficient public IP to issue out for subscribers to simultaneously used at the same time.

The 2nd option is where there are limited public IP addresses hence it is possible that 2 or more subscribers shared the same public IP. However no 2 subscribers will share the same public IP within the same lease time if the NAT of public -> private IP is singular.

The 3rd option is where there are really very limited public IP addresses from the ISP, and potentially 2 or more subscribers share the same public IP accessing the Internet, but are allocated private IP instead to differentiate them within the ISP network. This is a common scenario within SME since SME normally have very limited number public IP given, normally only 1. Hence all hosts within the corporate actually share only 1 public IP when connecting to the Internet. In such case, only 1 of the host in the corporate network can be port forwarded to host on one port. Suppose if the network is 172.16.1/255, and suppose there is a web server running at 172.16.1.2 serving at port 80, no other hosts in the corporate network can be used to host on port 80, while they may potentially serve at other different ports like 81, 82 etc. This is likely the case of MR, though I can't be 100% certain.

If this is not the technical limitation of MR, then basically the ISP don't offer subscribers such opportunity, except as a business decision that only static IP can do so. The reason is pretty obvious then. In any case, normally ISP do not normally allow services to be served within residential consumers network. This rule is normally explicitly listed in the T&C. As such the ISP have no obligation to perform port forwarding or open any incoming ports except those high ports above 1024 or even higher in the tens of thousands range for incoming connection.

As I have mentioned in the earlier post, suppose you have an external VPS which is outside of the ISP network at for example 170.4.234.5. Then what you can do is when you are accessing your NAS, you will access through 170.4.234.5. Between your NAS and the VPS, you need to setup a VPN network. In the VPS, you need to setup NAT rules to route from 170.4.234.5 to the VPN internal IP address of your NAS. Since the VPN is connected from your NAS to your VPS, hence this outgoing connection would have establish an existing route back and fro the VPS. Your VPS basically act as a jump point. This method should works for MR or any such network configuration behind firewall.

Another method does not involved VPN, but uisng SSH reverse tunnel technique to bridge from the NAS to the VPS. NAT rules on the VPS is still necessary, but the VPN is replaced using a secured channel via SSH.

While I suggest such technique, this technique has its own set of caveats and normally only achievable by fellas with sufficient network and Linux administrative skill sets. I saw that it requires $50/month(business only) with $50 one-time charge(resident only) to apply a static IP from MR. If you already have a VPS, or you are using AWS free web tier, it can be almost free depending on your usage.

Haha this is so chim!

But anyways changing to static IP really helps! Thanks everyone! :D

dazehead

Reaction score
Non-rsync backups

Hi pros, I have a Synology NAS and a WD TV Live Hub (media streamer with built-in 1TB) connected to the same router.

I would like to backup/sync between the two. In the case of backup, preferably from the NAS to the WD hub.

Closest way I can get what I want seems to be the Backup and Restore tool. However, it doesn't seem as user-friendly and intuitive as the PC sync programs I've used before. One issue is that it seems to create @app and 'files' folders, reducing the flexibility and messing up folder structures on destination.

Am I using it wrong, can I make it work? Or should I look into other 3rd party tools not available on the package? What do you use?

I'm using DS413, but hope your solution would work for me too.

Thanks!

ghwong

Reaction score
New DS412+ Owner

Hi all,
Just joined the club :s13:.. Gotten my DS412+ yesterday.. :D
Still haven't hook it up to my network as was too tired yesterday.
Got a good bundle from memoryworld for my 412+2x3TB..
I have a couple of 2.5" 500gb around.. so i plan to install 2x500gb in it as well and set it up using SHR.. (2x3TB and 2x500gb).
Will add/throw-in other 2x2tb/3tb end of the year (if budget permits) :s13:

Last edited:

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Grats. Remember to initialise the 500gb first before the 3tb to use them all in shr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.