Microsoft Surface

draco76x

Reaction score
Watched the surface event online:

You can now watch the entirety of Microsoft

I'm impress & interested on "Surface Pro 2" but it does not come with LTE, I've read an article that they interview Panos Panay that there's LTE version of "Surface 2" coming on next year.

Only Surface 2 with LTE?? How about "Surface Pro 2" :s11:

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score

I'm impress & interested on "Surface Pro 2" but it does not come with LTE, I've read an article that they interview Panos Panay that there's LTE version of "Surface 2" coming on next year.

Surface 2 is based on Tegra 4 silicon & NVidia has a i500 LTE Modem that MS can integrate.

Intel's 4G silicon seemed to have become Vapourware. My guess is many of the current 4G silicon can't integrate well with Intel Southbridge in terms of performance & power consumption. (my guess only)

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

or u can just install the 3G dongle via USB....like you would with a laptop..

it's a full windows you know... :p

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
The problem with dongle is the USB interface itself draws at least 50mA of current even if the interface is idle.

And there's additional overhead in terms of power to interface a LTE modem to a USB controller. That's why I avoid using USB dongle as it draws a huge amount of power.

Integrated solutions are better. SoC solutions are the best.

mocax

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
LTE expensive or not?

watch a few hd video more than 2GB already.... :eek:

draco76x

Reaction score
The problem with dongle is the USB interface itself draws at least 50mA of current even if the interface is idle.

And there's additional overhead in terms of power to interface a LTE modem to a USB controller. That's why I avoid using USB dongle as it draws a huge amount of power.

Integrated solutions are better. SoC solutions are the best.

I prefer built in LTE as don't wish to carry so many accessories running around. :p

sebastlim11

Reaction score
I ordered mine I think late August.
I can collect on Monday, 30.9. But I don't have school on that day, then I don't know if I should go down to collect or collect on Tuesday

Screen protector also haven't buy.. If buy from challenger they will help you paste right?( btw how much ah? I ask few time but no response:/)

I think I will go down just to collect on Monday haha

theopensurface

1 Thread in the Tablet Den
Reaction score
Those who are interested in MS Surface Pro 2.. Watch out for our updates. We will be bringing them in once they are out. Price will be out when they launch.

FB for latest update :)

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those who are interested in MS Surface Pro 2.. Watch out for our updates. We will be bringing them in once they are out. Price will be out when they launch.

FB for latest update :)

glad someone is bringing them in. :)

the facebook said "coming soon in oct" is for Open surface release in singapore or just usa release date?

theopensurface

1 Thread in the Tablet Den
Reaction score
glad someone is bringing them in. :)

the facebook said "coming soon in oct" is for Open surface release in singapore or just usa release date?

its USA release. We will probably get it within days after launch. Will work out the details with our suppliers. Hopefully can get it the next day its launched.

once again, we will update once we have confirmed information

Reaction score
Surface Pro 2 main improvement over Surface Pro.
- 20% faster due to dual-channel LPDDR3 ram
- 40-50% faster 3D GPU performance, good for presentation on Powerpoint 2013
- 10 to 15% cheaper than Surface Pro
- HUGE 512GB SSD + 8GB for power-users & programmers
- 60-75% increase battery life, meaning a realworld 6 hours of usage
- Expandable to realworld 10 hours with Power Cover, which probably weigh 250-300g based on 30Wh Lithium Ion. (Can be brought down to 200g if Lithium Polymer but cost 30-40% more $)
I was looking at the Pro 2 against my needs (okay i'm not a power user nor one who needs millions of apps!) and wondering if it is that good a story.
The battery life is a disappointment given what's on the ultrabook market and you have to add more weight with the power cover....it becomes more comparable with these nonetheless. If MS had made the Pro2 with a 100% battery life performance over the old Pro without the power cover then it possibly could make a difference to the enterprise markets as one example where it matters.

Interested for the reviews to start coming out as i'm looking to replace an old Acer Aspire - its size, battery (originally 8hrs when new!), performance (upgraded to 4gb RAM plus an ssd) but not willing to spend premium given my usage really has become more simple on the road.

I'd like to know if the Surface 2 would be more suited although 2gb ram may mean certain files (pdf's, Office docs) could struggle.

Honestly i'd like the Pro 2 with the Surface 2's default battery...there can be only one! But which!:s22:

Oolong Tea

Banned
Reaction score
Just get a 11" MacBook air and it is still cheaper than the surface with the ram and ssd upgrade. 12 hours of battery life and no need for such addons :s13:. Only negative point is that it has no touchscreen.

I was looking at the Pro 2 against my needs (okay i'm not a power user nor one who needs millions of apps!) and wondering if it is that good a story.
The battery life is a disappointment given what's on the ultrabook market and you have to add more weight with the power cover....it becomes more comparable with these nonetheless. If MS had made the Pro2 with a 100% battery life performance over the old Pro without the power cover then it possibly could make a difference to the enterprise markets as one example where it matters.

Interested for the reviews to start coming out as i'm looking to replace an old Acer Aspire - its size, battery (originally 8hrs when new!), performance (upgraded to 4gb RAM plus an ssd) but not willing to spend premium given my usage really has become more simple on the road.

I'd like to know if the Surface 2 would be more suited although 2gb ram may mean certain files (pdf's, Office docs) could struggle.

Honestly i'd like the Pro 2 with the Surface 2's default battery...there can be only one! But which!:s22:

verk47

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to get an extension cord for the surface rt 24w charger? The plug is detachable from the adapter and it seems like I can get a male-to-female two pin cord to connect the plug to the adapter body for the whole charger to be longer

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.