Microsoft Surface

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the Pro 2 against my needs (okay i'm not a power user nor one who needs millions of apps!) and wondering if it is that good a story.
The battery life is a disappointment given what's on the ultrabook market and you have to add more weight with the power cover....it becomes more comparable with these nonetheless. If MS had made the Pro2 with a 100% battery life performance over the old Pro without the power cover then it possibly could make a difference to the enterprise markets as one example where it matters.

Interested for the reviews to start coming out as i'm looking to replace an old Acer Aspire - its size, battery (originally 8hrs when new!), performance (upgraded to 4gb RAM plus an ssd) but not willing to spend premium given my usage really has become more simple on the road.

I'd like to know if the Surface 2 would be more suited although 2gb ram may mean certain files (pdf's, Office docs) could struggle.

Honestly i'd like the Pro 2 with the Surface 2's default battery...there can be only one! But which!:s22:

You have the consider the weigh of the device & the screen size when making this sort of comparison. Surface 2 is running RT, so if you need backwards compatibility, don't even need to consider Surface 2.

It's a lot easier to squeeze a huge battery into a 13" ultrabook than a 11" tablet. A 13" ultrabook is also likely to be a lot heavier than a tablet unless you're using carbon fibre and magnesium alloy, which will push the price far above Surface Pro 2 prices.

When comparing ultrabook, you also have to consider consumer-grade chassis (plastic/aluminium) vs Enterprise-grade chassis (carbon/magnesium). Hence, the price difference. There's also the grade of the component on the motherboard. Plastic chip (consumer) vs Ceramic chip (Enterprise), guess which chip last longer?

If your Aspire is working well, why not consider to upgrade to a newer-gen SSD which will give you the best bang for your buck, vs buying another ultrabook. You even be able to find compatible CPU to upgrade like I did with my Fujitsu TabletPC. Lastly, if battery life is degraded after 3 years, just buy new battery from Worcell.com.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Just get a 11" MacBook air and it is still cheaper than the surface with the ram and ssd upgrade. 12 hours of battery life and no need for such addons :s13:. Only negative point is that it has no touchscreen.

The advantage of the MBA in the past was the build quality surpasses most of the Windows machine in the price bracket.

However, you can get better spec Windows machines (with 10-point touchscreen) these days for the same price.

zuoom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just get a 11" MacBook air and it is still cheaper than the surface with the ram and ssd upgrade. 12 hours of battery life and no need for such addons :s13:. Only negative point is that it has no touchscreen.

Is the MBA11 on FHD or just HD screen?

sebastlim11

Reaction score
Okay last asking before someone may find it annoyance cause I lost similar question few times. Sorry!

If I buy screen protector from challenger, will they paste help to paste? Sigh is difficult to find screen protector for surface rt. ( btw rt and pro is using the same screen protector right?)

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
You have the consider the weigh of the device & the screen size when making this sort of comparison. Surface 2 is running RT, so if you need backwards compatibility, don't even need to consider Surface 2.

Yeah absolutely...and given you can remove the cover any time say on a plane gives it a huge edge over any laptop/MBA. You can't do that with a laptop when a passenger in front reclines their seat!

Thinking about legacy apps, i'm struggling to think what I use currently on that laptop...nothing other than multiple browsers, media type players etc as mentioned so perhaps the Surface 2 will suffice.
Is there a definitive RT apps out there?

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
According to MS, when Win RT 8.1 launch, FB will be there.

Anyway, on a laptop/hybrid device, a browser that support HTML5, flash & Javascript is good enough. IE11 should be a great browser.

The only thing missing is a good media player that can play everything like VLC or Mediaplayer Classic.

We're still waiting for Metro VLC to come.

You're right about laptops while travelling. Which is why I travel with my Fujitsu TabletPC with no cover except for my camera bag. The chassis is strong enough to withstand rough handling, although not as tough as Panasonic Toughbook.

Last edited:

SINple

Reaction score

the mba is a better deal than surface pro + a type cover keyboard.

pros
intel 5000 vs 4400 graphic card.
Battery is better
Easier to dual boot if required.
A better keyboard?
Available now

cons
screen resolution is more lousy

Donten

Reaction score
the mba is a better deal than surface pro + a type cover keyboard.

pros
intel 5000 vs 4400 graphic card.
Battery is better
Easier to dual boot if required.
A better keyboard?
Available now

cons
screen resolution is more lousy

different demography i guess.

eg. mba lack of touchscreen and lack of tablet form.

poooooo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
different demography i guess.

eg. mba lack of touchscreen and lack of tablet form.

another case of orange vs apple :(
most ppl wants the pen to help them take hand notes or cad drawing.

Last edited:

sebastlim11

Reaction score
Received my surface Rt. Just to share, challenger does sell various brand of screen protector, cheapest is 15. Whereas Harvey Norman has incipro screen protector for 33. However Harvey Norman charges $10 for service charge to paste. Crazy!

starch1990

Reaction score
Received my surface Rt. Just to share, challenger does sell various brand of screen protector, cheapest is 15. Whereas Harvey Norman has incipro screen protector for 33. However Harvey Norman charges $10 for service charge to paste. Crazy!

i went to Challenger at Lot 1 yesterday and they were out of stock :(

Reaction score
guys. just got my surface RT today. any idea where to get screen protector?

Will be interesting to hear both your thoughts on the RT after a few days of usage with both the hardware & apps - pros & cons. Cheers!

sebastlim11

Reaction score
When I first started playing with it, it was a little sluggish, this is probably due to haven't update and install all necessary updates. After update, I experience improved performance, seems smoother and more responsive. Oh and my came with 40% battery
Display of product: before update I felt that it looks kinda pixelated( still iPad 3 user ) but after update I think it's better
Quality of product: honestly I'm very satisfied with the build, feels like sturdy product, rugged kinda. I like the finishing, feels high quality.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with this product. Haven't run a full battery usage yet:)

IMO, I will prefer rt to pro. Because rt uses a lower processor, less battery consuming as compared to pro. It's a tablet, and for me it should have long lasting battery life.

Apps wise, I find limited free apps available,

:)

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.