The Hair Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally I think gatsby wax is the main culprit that causing my scalp grow pimple too. I used to buy that and another one is purple. After application. The next day sure grow pimple.

Now I using so much product on my hair. No pimple yet. So far so good!

Yeah man. Gatsby is really a low-end brand. 50g for $10 bucks or so doesn't really make it much cheaper any of the products down here as well. Pay a bit more and get to see the difference for yourself. Because it really does. :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nuff said. Gold digger is all you need.
if you want volume, go for sea salt spray.
It will help create volume and hold when blow dry with it.
Then afterwards, finish with gold digger. everyone here loves it. lol

can PM me for more details!
There's a bundle price for the Gold Digger by Vilain and Sea Salt Spray.
Checkout my sig for the link below

The response for the bundle package is very well-received. Thanks guys and if any is interested, please do so fast as stocks are running out pretty fast. The power of gaoxing. :eek:

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quick review for the Kanebo shampoo after using for 2 weeks: In point forms cos I am too lazy to form complete sentences in this crazy heat today

- The smell of shea butter is really noticeable

- After using, your hair will indeed be slightly silky BUT not oily. It is sort of like a glossy feel but it feels clean. It dries off light and doesn't have the weird oily feel you get when you use over-moisturizing shampoos

- It does a great job removing products from your hair without stripping off your natural essential oils. Your hair will not feel dry after using.

- For the volume and quality, its well worth the price. I have used redken/kerastase shampoo before and it is on par in terms of quality.

- Overall, I would purchase it again after it runs out. Good stuff, can't see why anyone have reasons to dislike it.

PS: My family have abandoned all their existing shampoos and started using this exclusively. :s22:

I'll try to post the Nigelle clay review soon. Its not so simple to review cos its 'complicated'....

Thanks for your review bro! This is definitely going up the reviews section on my site. Well written indeed. After reading, i can tell that you not only pay attention to hair styling but hair care too. Very essential and necessary for all of us here. And yes, i priced it quite reasonably to make it affordable for all. 800ml can definitely last you a long time and you can also share it around if its too much for you too! :s13:

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Agree with you on the Nigelle Clay being "complicated", it does take a bit of trial and error to get the right amount moulded into the hair. But I have to say, in this heat we've been having, it is superb for not weighing down your hair, not irritating your scalp, and also not leaving an "oily" feeling on your scalp.

I think the Nigelle clay genuinely excels at retaining that natural hair look/texture with really respectable hold (sorry to use this term again), even when the sun/wind is bearing down on your head. Really have to emphasize NATURAL! =)

Nigelle the LIGHTWEIGHT clay. Its not exactly an easy product to figure out how to use but yes, it really does require some practice and experimenting to do it well. If you can, you will definitely fall in love with it and i cannot emphasize more that it can do you very well especially in SG's humid climate. Because its lightweight. :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the OS salt spray + nigelle clay is superb when used in the correct combination.....sometimes even Im amazed by how it works out even after the entire day at work is over and im off to after-work events :s13:

gotta try and experiment to figure out if u like it. To be honest, i didn't really like it much until i figured how to make it work for me. its not straight forward like a simple clay or paste or even wax cos its neither really a clay or a paste but somewhere in between.

Having the confidence and faith in you that you can definitely figure out how to use it well! :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Would like some input from some hair experts here.I'm currently using GD.However I find that if I use:

GD + Hairspray = Oily look on hair very unappealing and almost very little hold.

Gatsby + Hairspray = Expected matte look and considerable hold.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? FYI, I have very soft fine hair, difficult to hold unless using hairspray.

Thanks!

GD's hold is definitely good and strong. I wont dare to say that it will win Gatsby in terms of holding strength but its definitely in the same spectrum. GD shouldn't make your hair look oily as its only accompanied with slight shine. You might want to explore the following questions to see what went wrong.

Question #1: Is your hair dry or damp when you are applying GD?
Question #2: How much are you using? Rule of thumb is not to apply too much in 1 go. Start off with an appropriate amount and work out from thereon. Do it gradually and in moderation.
Question #3: Did you rub GD on your palms before application? Gatsby wax is wax so its already soft and wet to begin with. GD is hybrid form of wax and clay and it does require some rubbing to heat it up.
Question #4: Are you applying GD thoroughly across your hair? Sometimes, it all got to do with the styling methods that you used. Make sure that its evenly spread across your hair when you are styling. Most people commit the mistake of just picking at the hair and just gently touching it. This is definitely not the correct way of styling as there is basically no texture created.

Fine hair definitely has easier time to style. The diameter of your hair is already not fat. If its not fat, its not heavy. If its not heavy, then you will definitely have no problem of styling as the problem of weight is basically not being factored in as one of the considerations too. With that said, people with thick hair can also overcome the problem of having a hard time to style by layering their hair. Getting it thinned out with layers, will make it look lighter and to bring out the shape for you. Hence, it will be easier to manage and tame your hair upon layering. :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tbh I don't understand the whole natural look deal. Why style but make it look like no style???

Your question always set me thinking. Natural, in this context, does not mean that you style to make you look like you didn't style. Precisely because there is already a distinction between styling and non-styling. No matter how awesome these hair products are, there is no way that applying some products on your hair will make you look indifferent. Instead, natural in this context will refers to having a natural styled hairstyle. What do i mean by this then? Very often, we see on the streets that some guys have ridiculously wild and havoc hairstyles that doesn't look natural at all. In this cases, no matter how good the products are, you are already off the line of being labeled as natural.

In the case of having normal and widely accepted hairstyles, we also see some of them carrying wet look or heavy-shine look. This will immediately suffice as non-natural. Because it don't look natural to us too.

So, what does natural means then? Simply means you style and apply these styling products to look good but yet at the same time, not putting off a unnatural look to others. This will also means that you totally omitted the impression that you had just spammed a lot of styling products onto your hair too. I always feel that we don't style to let people know that we styled. Unless the person is blind, otherwise one can usually see that you styled your hair. If you ended up styling and no one knows then there is a real problem over here. So, to be natural means that you style and people do realize and knows, yet essentially, it doesn't look weird or too ridiculous to them in any manner.

It ought to be mentioned that you don't have to look natural while styling. If you feel that you can pull off the wet look, you can always go ahead and do that. You will not look natural but u can look good. So natural doesn't means good or good don't refer to being natural too. But more often than not, natural is usually correlated to matte texture finish and it got to do with the settings as well. Hope i am making some sense over here though. :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ups for OSIS :D best hair spray i've ever tried. superb hold plus fragrance.

btw someone mentioned q powder (or sumth) before right? whats that like? for volume?

Before you passed the verdict for OSIS, you should give PowerPoint a try too bro! Many have reflected positive reviews for it. :)

Q8 Matte Powder 3 (Japan) is a hair powder used for creating volume. Similar to seasalt spray or mousse used primarily for volumizing purposes, hair powder can too achieve the same purpose for one. However, the difference over here lies on two aspects:

#1: Application
#2: Holding Factor

It can be fairly difficult to apply and utilize the potential of hair powder well enough. This differs for everyone so i am comparing it to the easiness of application across 3 products in totality. Holding factor for hair powder will be the strongest and evident. It holds it well and intuitively, its lightweight as its just powder. A few taps onto the hair and the parts that you wanna to create volume will pretty much get the job done. Introductory price of Q8 Matte Powder 3 at $19.90. Its not exactly cheap as it comes directly from the manufacturer (not distribution centers) in Japan so i hope to gain the understanding from you bros on this! Hope it helps. :)

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Before you passed the verdict for OSIS, you should give PowerPoint a try too bro! Many have reflected positive reviews for it. :)

Q8 Matte Powder 3 (Japan) is a hair powder used for creating volume. Similar to seasalt spray or mousse used primarily for volumizing purposes, hair powder can too achieve the same purpose for one. However, the difference over here lies on two aspects:

It can be fairly difficult to apply and utilize the potential of hair powder well enough. This differs for everyone so i am comparing it to the easiness of application across 3 products in totality. Holding factor for hair powder will be the strongest and evident. It holds it well and intuitively, its lightweight as its just powder. A few taps onto the hair and the parts that you wanna to create volume will pretty much get the job done. Introductory price of Q8 Matte Powder 3 at $19.90. Its not exactly cheap as it comes directly from the manufacturer (not distribution centers) in Japan so i hope to gain the understanding from you bros on this! Hope it helps. :)
+9001 for q8 powder for ease of application! Don't need to blow dry and goes only where you want it to go!

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

USE POWERPOINT! SMELLS GOOD AND GOOD HOLD!

Anyway, no need me to reply everyone already cause JH is here to do so!

Natural outlook = matte. lol cannot be shiny.

anyway, those who wanna use pomade, first rule, hair must be long. hair not long, the weight of pomade will cause it to flop.

that's what i have experienced.

anyway those using supermarket brands or watson brand, time to elevate your own status and use professional products because the price difference is not that huge. probably $10+ more only!

professional products = better ingredient use, easier to wash out and definitely not as damaging.

GOLD DIGGER = ULTRA HOLD (did i oversell? lol) and finish off in between matte and glossy. A perfect touch! SUPER VERSATILE!

Nigelle Bold Make Clay = SUPER HIGH HOLD and VERY MATTE! Easy to use as well!

LOLANE FIBER GEL GUM = this is like a good alternative to pomade. Shine + easier to dry as compared to pomade. Loving this! using it to style my hair after gym!

ABOVE ALL! USE SEA SALT SPRAY to complement all these hair products! this is a gem for us asian. use it well and it will go a long way!

and of course with all said professional styling products, you will need a good shampoo to cleanse out all the impurities after a long day outdoors. Dirt,Grime and oil!

USE CARBOLIC SHAMPOO by Q8 or Kanebo Lissage Shampoo!

Sorry my engrish not as good as JH but i think message has been sent across!

100 TUBS OF GOLD DIGGER SOLD! MASS ORDER SUCCESS! MILESTONE! haha

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ups for OSIS :D best hair spray i've ever tried. superb hold plus fragrance.

btw someone mentioned q powder (or sumth) before right? whats that like? for volume?

no no to osis+ unless you literally wanna freeze your hair with wild hair style.

if want understated quiff, back comb or side pomp, go for powerpoint. Can restyle! haha.
osis+ session 3 tends to freeze my hair, causing it to flop because of the weight.

use powerpoint and never went back.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
finishing my imperial barber pomade paste already. actually very dry, worse than nigelle. Need to add water to fully use it. haha.

my hair not long enough to use classic pomade yet.

my spongewax and quicksand left there never touch, use only gold digger during weekends!.

i think need to start to use hdf to complement gold digger.

i kinda hate KMS sea salt spray, no hold one! OS Fashion better. but one thing KMS makes my hair softer to style but..... NO HOLD the shape i want. le sigh.

but since got the KMS, just use lo. hahaha maybe my skills lousy, i see slikhaar they use like so nice.

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
no no to osis+ unless you literally wanna freeze your hair with wild hair style.

if want understated quiff, back comb or side pomp, go for powerpoint. Can restyle! haha.
osis+ session 3 tends to freeze my hair, causing it to flop because of the weight.

Make me feel like trying osis sia... But so damn ex

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What's the meaning of "causing it to flop"? :s11:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.