Photography with Nokia Lumia 1020

Reaction score
Hi all!

Let's post our images or links to our galleries of shots taken with the Nokia Lumia 1020.

Thought it'd be nice to have a dedicated thread to show off what the Lumia 1020's camera can do :)

-----

Albums/Photos:-
ReignOfComputer: #2
LastBattle: #7 | #38 | #48
kopi22: #54
E_T: #60, #71
SeeNoEvil: #61
lohhc1: #62

Last edited:
Reaction score
Albums
2013092x - Random Shots: http://sdrv.ms/19OcRqE
20130928 - Microsoft Singapore: http://sdrv.ms/19OcSuT
20130928 - National Museum of Singapore: http://sdrv.ms/19fGDDO
20130929 - Marina Bay: http://sdrv.ms/19fGGj5
20130929 - Singapore History Gallery: http://sdrv.ms/19OcWdY
20130929 - Resorts World Sentosa: http://sdrv.ms/16VDucr
20131006 - Singapore Botanic Gardens: http://sdrv.ms/1fcpWl6

Favorites
20130929 - Marina Bay > WP_20130929_14_58_39_Pro_highres: http://sdrv.ms/19fGYqm

Download the images from the High Res folders and zoom in, really amazing zoom!

Last edited:

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
That's fast! Within a couple of days :)
Not uploading on Flickr? There's 1TB of storage there, as compared to the 7GB base storage for SkyDrive

Rickosw

Reaction score
Great Idea guys!

Roughly what is the estimated File Size per 38MP picture?
Do you actually go home and "Photoshop" the 38MP file to make it better and then "crop" and downsize again?
If so, what desktop programs are you using?

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Great Idea guys!

Roughly what is the estimated File Size per 38MP picture?
Do you actually go home and "Photoshop" the 38MP file to make it better and then "crop" and downsize again?
If so, what desktop programs are you using?

34MP + 5MP is around 10 megabyte each.

No... I don't use photoshop unless I want to adjust things like contrast, brightness. Cropping from the phone is sharper and less work :D

Reaction score
@LastBattle: I've got 128GB of storage, I'd rather have everything in one place too haha xD

@Rickosw: From what I see they're about 7-10 MB per high res photo. When the shot is taken a smaller 5MP photo is saved as well. The 5MPs make up the root folder of my albums and the high res is in the separate folder. No Photoshop or any programs were used :)

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
10016361103_eee4b929b2_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99182046@N08/10016361103/

Lazy warm evening :)

Keep it going! 1020 users!

Last edited:

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
I recommend Windows Live Photo Gallery (part of Windows Essential 2012).

Windows Essentials - Download Windows Live Essentials

Very user friendly. ALL essential photo editing & management functions supported. Can be extended to Photosync & Image Composite Editor. Has Photo Fuse & Auto-panorama.

Very nice & very fast!

Reaction score
@E_T my Facebook friends are commenting the Lumia 1020's camera is wasted on me, and I think I agree lol. I've no idea what to set for the ISO and the shutter speed.

Take this one for example: http://sdrv.ms/16D7OhW
If I'm not wrong this shot was taken with all settings at Auto, which results in a really bright photo of a low-light environment. But what if I don't want it to be bright and what I'm actually seeing? >.<

I so need to take a photography class.

Edit: Also if I'm in a moving car and taking a photo what settings should I use? Like a sports shot?

Last edited:

echoblue

Reaction score
For sport shots, I use Blink app for that with burst shots. its low rez though and requires decent lighting.

If manual, you need high shutter speed at least 1/30. The higher the shutter speed the less light it will allow the lens to take in so pictures may tend to be darker (depends on lighting again)

If you need more light, adjust exposure higher or adjust iso. Usually bright days require 100-200 iso, 400 if indoors, 800 and above if dark. Of course the higher the iso, the grainier the photo gets. 400 should be ok. So moving object using manual, try 1/100 shutter with 400 iso. There's also flash but I prefer not to use it if I want more natural look. Just play ard with the settings and try on none moving objects 1st then move on to motion once you're more familiar or confident. This is just my own opinion and I'm not a professional photographer - just based on my dslr use + Lumia phone of course :)

@E_T my Facebook friends are commenting the Lumia 1020's camera is wasted on me, and I think I agree lol. I've no idea what to set for the ISO and the shutter speed.

If I'm not wrong this shot was taken with all settings at Auto, which results in a really bright photo of a low-light environment. But what if I don't want it to be bright and what I'm actually seeing? >.<

Edit: Also if I'm in a moving car and taking a photo what settings should I use? Like a sports shot?

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score

LOL! The easiest way is to use WP camera app & set the scene mode to Sports. Flash to Auto.

For Pro Cam:

In good light, manual setting, ISO 400, shutter speed 1/1000, no flash.

In low light, manual setting, ISO 800 (or 1600), shutter speed 1/250, forced flash on.

These are ballpark figures. It also depends on lighting condition.

Last edited:

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
For sport shots, I use Blink app for that with burst shots. its low rez though and requires decent lighting.

If manual, you need high shutter speed at least 1/30. The higher the shutter speed the less light it will allow the lens to take in so pictures may tend to be darker (depends on lighting again)

If you need more light, adjust exposure higher or adjust iso. Usually bright days require 100-200 iso, 400 if indoors, 800 and above if dark. Of course the higher the iso, the grainier the photo gets. 400 should be ok. So moving object using manual, try 1/100 shutter with 400 iso. There's also flash but I prefer not to use it if I want more natural look. Just play ard with the settings and try on none moving objects 1st then move on to motion once you're more familiar or confident. This is just my own opinion and I'm not a professional photographer - just based on my dslr use + Lumia phone of course :)

The BLINK app isn't optimized for the 1020 yet, it produces horrible grainy photo even in daylight.
I don't see any problem with any other third party app, they are probably using a private API :s13:

It takes some time to get used to. In the first few weeks when I first had it, its a hit and miss. It just gets better and better over time, and I always have the urge to take photos now probably because of confidence that it'll be a good shot. Such as low light conditions that are impossible for galaxy, iphones..

If you upload that on Flickr, I can probably tell you what's wrong :D (or E_T that's better!)
I need the EXIF info..

Last edited:

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score

OK, I'm no professional ah... I've just been taking pictures for a very long time, especially with Ultrazoom cameras.

The first thing is learning where to stand. The idea is to capture as much or as little as you need depending on whether you want to focus on detail or on the mood.

Hope you don't mind ReignOfComputer. I use your pictures for example.

10055613296_bfcf7d73ed_z.jpg

Let's say it's not a lens angle issue and you're just standing in the wrong place. Imagine if you stand in the right place and captured the below.

10055613296_bfcf7d73ed_z%20ext.jpg

Isn't a whole circle/dome much more enthralling?

And you can see that the exposure & colour problems can be adjusted later but if you look at the original, it's pretty noisy so learning to play with the ISO & shutter speed is important.

This brings me to the 2nd point of composition. You ONLY want to show the interesting part. The easiest way is to crop.

Example. Even though the guy in the background is a handsome young man, the focus of the picture is obviously the Polaroid. Yet, the arm & the guy at the back distract from the picture.

10055691013_9e63f97778_c%20crop.jpg

Wouldn't it be better to cut them off?

10055691013_9e63f97778_c.jpg

And when taking really interesting pictures, you can make them MORE interesting...

10055595155_aee3a45824_z.jpg

By VERY tightly cropping or over-cropping, desaturate the picture & generally go a bit crazy with the colour. ;)

10055595155_f5235c7a82_k%20crazy.jpg

How do you like it? :)

Rickosw

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth of thought

there are a few types of "Photography"

1) Facebook / Instagram type, Party / selfies
nobody really care per say, just anyhow shoot, wack ...

2) if you want to take good pics (Hardware, Software, Techniques) come into play

- Hardware:
We have THE BEST CAMERA PHONE (other than extreme situtations, eg snowing, river / water sports, super fast motion, F1 racing, there is really no reason why you can't take GOOD & DECENT pics 90% in our normal daily life.

Software:
Pro: via desktop/laptop - Photoshop, Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, etc to really wack the 38MP file
In phone app: Fotor, Lazylens, Thumba Photo Editor, Fhotoroom, Nokia Creative Studio, all i use before .. not too bad ... get pics fixed within a few clicks to upload onto Facebook...

Techniques
That is really a SKILL SET, you need to spend time, no hard & fast rule. Read up some photography books/magazine, websites, watch youtube videos, learn the basic rules of lighting, framing, Rule of 2/3, Golden Rule, ISO seting, AV/TV setting, etc

you can even take part in simple beginner photography class, sure can pick up some good tips!

If i missed out any parts, feel free to add / comment

Cheers

Rickosw

Reaction score
If any bro here not shy, want to improve, you can post the original / 5MP crop pic,
then we can discuss, or re-crop the pics to have another view / perspective ..
just like E_T post #16

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents worth of thought

there are a few types of "Photography"

1) Facebook / Instagram type, Party / selfies
nobody really care per say, just anyhow shoot, wack ...

2) if you want to take good pics (Hardware, Software, Techniques) come into play

- Hardware:
We have THE BEST CAMERA PHONE (other than extreme situtations, eg snowing, river / water sports, super fast motion, F1 racing, there is really no reason why you can't take GOOD & DECENT pics 90% in our normal daily life.

Software:
Pro: via desktop/laptop - Photoshop, Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, etc to really wack the 38MP file
In phone app: Fotor, Lazylens, Thumba Photo Editor, Fhotoroom, Nokia Creative Studio, all i use before .. not too bad ... get pics fixed within a few clicks to upload onto Facebook...

Techniques
That is really a SKILL SET, you need to spend time, no hard & fast rule. Read up some photography books/magazine, websites, watch youtube videos, learn the basic rules of lighting, framing, Rule of 2/3, Golden Rule, ISO seting, AV/TV setting, etc

you can even take part in simple beginner photography class, sure can pick up some good tips!

If i missed out any parts, feel free to add / comment

Cheers

For the 38Mpix shots, I will definitely advise you to edit on the PC. Editing on the phone takes too long even if it's possible.

For software, learn the basics first like Photoshop Elements & Windows Live Photo Gallery.

Then invest in a good editing software like Corel PaintShop Pro X6. Why I use Corel PSP? Because it has the most effective noise filter algorithm in the market. It is able to filter both luminance & chroma noise even from ISO1600 photos. For example, I used it for the dome photo above.

The new X6 support 64bit so editing large photo that can be generated by the Lumia 1020 is faster.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@E_T holy moly. Quite sure you're professional, don't short-change yourself xD

You're using Photoshop to post-process? I really need to experiment more with ISO/Shutter speed :O

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.