The Hair Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ahh... no wonder

i'm using promade + joico clay and finish it with oasis+. my fringe can touch my mouth, and i do always do a swept back kind of style. so there is always this bunch of hair like gelled up sticking down. i think i sprayed the oasis+ too close because if i spray it from far, i scared no effect

Don't worry about spraying from a distance and it dont hold well. Hair sprays are supposed to work well from that distance and it will only work well with the right distance. Too near to it isn't going to help too. Give it a try and perhaps you need some getting used to. But hope it will be getting better and better for you! :)

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Bro, dont like that leh. Lol if you do the maths and add in transport fees on your own to Chinatown, I never earn at all from the OSIS leh. :(

jk la! yours got include convenience+peace of mind(no need scared no stock)+consultation fee wad! +incl all the reviews that u gave xD swanson where got reviews one wor

(jk again! i know you obviously do all these for free out of goodwill)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just tried the conditioner washing only.. Today weather very cooling so i didnt sweat much. So i able to do it..

My hair is much softer and sort of "moisted" after using the hair mask i bought yesterday anyway.

Should have know all this earlier on. Neglect and letting my hair suffer in silence for the past few years!

Better late than never bro! We are learning new things everyday and that's the true purpose of life. :D

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What does the sea salt spray actually do?

Very good question, bro! Seasalt spray is used to create instant volume for one whereby a matte structure is being created for you in place. Basically, if you face the problem of flat hair, seasalt spray will be the solution for you. Just have to spray a few times onto damp hair (for best results IMO) and blow dry it to get the volume created instantly.

Additionally, it helps to bunch up the hair nicely enough so that it aids greatly in the subsequent application of styling products such as wax/clay and hence, the required amount of these styling products used will be lesser actually. This will encourage easier removal of styling products at the end of the day as well as helping you to save more cost in the long run. A bonus point to add will be it helps to control the excess oils in the hair (especially so in SG) too as it dries your hair (not in a damaging manner) out to create volume. Hope it helps!

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
jk la! yours got include convenience+peace of mind(no need scared no stock)+consultation fee wad! +incl all the reviews that u gave xD swanson where got reviews one wor

(jk again! i know you obviously do all these for free out of goodwill)

Bro, i was about to head over to your place to whack you liao. Lucky you posted this. :D

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro, dont like that leh. Lol if you do the maths and add in transport fees on your own to Chinatown, I never earn at all from the OSIS leh. :(

Don't worry lar. We all know how good your services are also lar. ;)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, i dont find seasalt spray being oily in any way. Perhaps its just me but i rate it based on dryness instead of oiliness. Because seasalt spray contains alcohol, it tends to dry the hair which i believe most people who use OS Fashion Sea Spray will not be unfamiliar with.

Aspect #1: Dryness (Subjective to say higher or lower the better)
Eco Seasalt Spray is definitely not as dry as OS Fashion Sea Spray. Not sure if its due to the concentration of alcohol used, but to be honest, the dryness of OS Fashion Sea Spray is fine to me all along. If you find OS Sea spray too dry, one can comfortably adjust the number of sprays the very next time. Personally, its precisely because of this approximate extent of dryness that allowed me to be able to style it better. When one's hair moisture is there, the weight will be higher and hence, you might find yourself requiring and using more styling products to make it more textured or whatsoever .

OS Fashion Sea Spray: 4/5
Eco Sea Spray : 2/5

Aspect #2: Bunching up of Hair (Higher, the better)
For those who used OS Fashion Sea Spray before, this aspect might not be unfamiliar to you at all. One amazing thing that OS Fashion Sea Spray can do for you is that it bunches up your hair very well. So why is this aspect important then? Prior to styling, when your hair ends are bunched up nicely and not divided loosely, it helps in terms of styling whereby subsequent application of wax/clay can help to achieve what you want much easier. With that said, your hairstyle will look more natural whereby it will be more textured/layered. If you're looking for tousled look, it helps to effect the messy look too. Imagine if your hair is not bunched up together, it will be like few strands of hair ends here and there (it will be awkward, of course), so this is also the reason why some ended up by applying more styling products when the desired effect and result cannot be achieved that easily.

Aspect #3: Natural Waviness (Higher, the better)
This is more for people with permed hair, i feel. Although Eco Sea Spray lacks the aspect of bunching up the hair, i realized one good characteristic that Eco gives me is the natural waviness in the hair. It tends to bring out the curls and waviness in my permed hair better than OS Fashion. Most probably, its because its not as dry as OS Fashion so one is able to achieve better and natural effects for one on this reasoning. Good when you are heading out to the beach with some beach look. I thought its some marketing gimmick at first, but it definitely sounds legit to me after using it for about one week or so.

OS Fashion is too dry to bring me any form of waviness plus it bunches up the hair so no form of natural waviness is being created. In simple words, tradeoffs at the end of the day.

OS Fashion Sea Spray: 2/5
Eco Sea Spray : 4/5

Aspect #4: Smell (Higher, the better)
This is one subjective aspect that i need not further explain. To me, Eco Sea Spray wins hands down towards OS Fashion Sea Spray. My brother said it reminds him of perfume. I don't think it feels like perfume to me though but one thing for sure is that it emits a stronger and much lasting fragrance as compared to OS Fashion. Both has nice fragrance, to be honest. But OS Fashion's light fragrance will be gone pretty fast. Eco Sea Spray's fragrance managed to stay on my hair for quite a reasonable amount of time. For those who have a weak spot for fragrant stuffs.

OS Fashion Sea Spray: 3/5
Eco Sea Spray : 4/5

Aspect #5: Holding Factor (Higher, the better)
I chose to talk about this as the last aspect because it is the most intuitive and basic aspect that everyone will know about for seasalt spray. Hold factor for OS Fashion is slated to be 4/6 on its packaging. There is no stated hold factor for Eco Sea Spray. For this criteria, i guess there is no further debate required because after using both products, OS Fashion Sea Spray gives much more significant holding strength for one as compared to Eco. And precisely because of this functional advantage, one can also feel that the volume created for OS Fashion is much more and better than Eco. The "pom pom" effect is therefore much more evident.

All in all, i feel OS Fashion Sea Spray is for the first timers who feel like trying out seasalt spray and be amazed with the impressive effects. I dare not say all but perhaps, most (including me) is pretty much impressed by how good seasalt spray can be. No more flat hair anymore. Eco Sea Spray follows behind closely because its does not seem to be the one that most people hope to achieve with seasalt spray. The voluminous effect is lacking for Eco but do not underestimate the tousled and wavy/beach effect that it brings for one. Both for different roles and purposes in different settings.

Note: There are really a lot of brands out there (e.g. KMS, Tigi, Vantachi) but once again, these abovementioned aspects are some criteria for judging seasalt spay in totality. Just to share, i used vantachi sea spray 350ml before and i don't really want to talk about it. Basically, it did nothing for me. I hope my 2cents worth of opinions help. :)

Just to repost for the greater good. Hope it helps! Don't have the energy to re type all these again. :s13:

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Very good question, bro! Seasalt spray is used to create instant volume for one whereby a matte structure is being created for you in place. Basically, if you face the problem of flat hair, seasalt spray will be the solution for you. Just have to spray a few times onto damp hair (for best results IMO) and blow dry it to get the volume created instantly.

Additionally, it helps to bunch up the hair nicely enough so that it aids greatly in the subsequent application of styling products such as wax/clay and hence, the required amount of these styling products used will be lesser actually. This will encourage easier removal of styling products at the end of the day as well as helping you to save more cost in the long run. A bonus point to add will be it helps to control the excess oils in the hair (especially so in SG) too as it dries your hair (not in a damaging manner) out to create volume. Hope it helps!
in case the point in bold might be confusing to some people, i'd like to try and explain how i think it does this.

the salt in SSS, potassium sulphate, has a very strong affinity to water, as such it has a drying effect, cos it sucks away water from your hair. however it doesnt keep sucking! it slowly evaporates away that water (not sure about the stats and calculations on these, cant be bothered to go and do also xD, know theory can liao lar hor?), and keeps moisture from the hair from sticking onto your hair. in effect it works like a barrier/buffer.

the above is based on my limited understanding and might be wrong (humans have a limited understanding of the world anyway), but it should adequately answer some potential queries.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
damn it, we need to consolidate all of these.

so when people ask, we can re-redirect them to first page. unless got more cheem question then our JH bro will post his awesome pawsome answer!

deaththeroist gian me with kent brush! omg

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score

so when people ask, we can re-redirect them to first page. unless got more cheem question then our JH bro will post his awesome pawsome answer!

poison poison!
guys guys i managed to obtain gx's signature style in under a minute with the KFM3 brush. thats with gd already in my hair for the whole day and me being "outfield" again (every wednesday got to stay under hot sun T.T)

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Which kent brush he got? :s22:

Wah siao liao.. now even brush also can be a poisoning thing here.

edited : oh saw it above my post..

There's so much type of brush. see until so confusing

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
poison poison!
guys guys i managed to obtain gx's signature style in under a minute with the KFM3 brush. thats with gd already in my hair for the whole day and me being "outfield" again (every wednesday got to stay under hot sun T.T)

from feelunique?

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
poison poison!

PAISEH! wrong brush. its kfm2. Kent Men's Gel Brush For Thick Long Hair - KFM2 - Free Delivery - feelunique.com screw the "thick long hair" labelling! NO ONE TELLS YOU HOW TO USE YOUR BRUSH! hahaha /r/firstworldanachist

its the half radial that makes it easy to use.

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
quite fast sia! less than a week.

Oh thanks! just nice was looking for a comb.

Me using all round brush and a funny ox horn comb. LOL!

Jialart sia.. i tried ordering, they got some webpage error after entering payment detail.. i just contacted the support center to ask them how. sian~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.