[OFFICIAL] SHARE YOUR HOOTS HERE ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ikr. I'm actually a huge fan of Nakata Yasutaka (part of the duo Capsule) music and he's the producer for Perfume/Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. So for these artists theres certainly a distinctive style that bodes well with me, have been listening to them for awhile now. When I tried their songs with both TH600/TH900, it's really gd, like srsly gd. I haven't heard a pair of closed-cans that performed this gd in terms for new wave/electronic genres in awhile. (which is why the TH600 is currently on my WTB list)

I will say according to what I have heard so far from my brief demos, the TH900 maybe more suitable for the kind of female vocals that I usually listen to, as I found the TH600 to be more concentrated on lower-mids which is better for male vocals mainly instead. TH900 also has a smoother response in terms of upper-mids/treble, but TH600 is not exactly too far off, I suppose with the right DAC/amp both should be pretty excellent for the kind of genres I usually listen to.

Since I'm now already using Fostex's flagship DAC atm, I highly doubt synergy is gonna be a problem for me here, whether it comes down to either the TH600 or TH900.
:D

So are you considering to hoot that latest announced HP-A4? It's gonna be avail from Nov onwards, and I srsly don't think that one will break yr bank judging by how they had priced the HP-A3 in the past. Should be a pretty decent contender in terms of DSD-enabled DACs under 500 dollars if you ask me personally, though it's still prob better to wait for actual reviews to pop up on Head-fi, as I recall there's a Tokyo headphone fest ard late Oct period and there shd be some impressions shared by those living in JP by then.
:o

:eek: Another dac? Then what to do with the Pan Am? Use the HP-A4 as a dac/preamp to the Pan Am?

Since you are already on the flagship, pair it with their flagship headphones or it will not do justice for that kind of money spent =:p

Found a comparison between the two headphones, kinda subjective though. Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones - Page 85

widget

Reaction score
Hahah!
That one is my comparison bro... it's very subjective as only tried them for less than 2 hours. Wilson gave me a chair and a bottle of water and I quietly sat in one corner trying both headphones.
Suffice to say that after the 2 hours, I went home and ordered TH600 from pricejapan....
Jaben offered me a good price for the 900, but not for the 600.
Actually if the SQ of the 900 is to my liking, I don't mind to bring it home from Jaben, but at the end of the 2 hours, I think I'll be better serve with the 600.

destrozer

Reaction score
Hahah!
That one is my comparison bro... it's very subjective as only tried them for less than 2 hours. Wilson gave me a chair and a bottle of water and I quietly sat in one corner trying both headphones.
Suffice to say that after the 2 hours, I went home and ordered TH600 from pricejapan....
Actually if the SQ of the 900 is to my liking, I don't mind to bring it home from Jaben, but at the end of the 2 hours, I think I'll be better serve with the 600.

WHAT?! Secret hoot?! GPGT! :s13:

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
damn son.. he treat you a bottle of water then you order the headphones online :s13:
those headphones should be the one on display at mook's festival right? I don't think they are fully burned in yet. anyway, congrats on your hoot :D

Last edited:

Nitrile

Honorary Member
Reaction score
pricejapan ftw

got mine from them in 4 days from payment to having it in my hands

widget

Reaction score
damn son.. he treat you a bottle of water then you order the headphones online :s13:
those headphones should be the one on display at mook's festival right? I don't think they are fully burned in yet. anyway, congrats on your hoot :D

:D
If the price difference is still acceptable, I don't mind buying from them, but let just say that I could have buy a DX50.
Anyway, Wilson knows that I will still come back to his store and buy other stuff sooner or later =:p

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how much is the cost breakdown in sgd? just curious. never used their service before

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:eek: Another dac? Then what to do with the Pan Am? Use the HP-A4 as a dac/preamp to the Pan Am?

Since you are already on the flagship, pair it with their flagship headphones or it will not do justice for that kind of money spent =:p

Scroll to 5.07 mins if you don't wanna watch Judge Jude talk abt non-related stuffs to Fostex. :s13:

Actually although I have nv personally heard the Alo The PanAm for myself, my own guess is generally from my understanding typically Wolfson DACs don't exactly measure up to other chip makers such as ESS/Asahi Kasei, when it comes down purely to SQ traits such as clarity/transparency. The Sabre series and AKM series are pretty well-known for being terrific-sounding reference DAC chips used in many modern high-end DAC/amplifier products these days, excelling in the above-mentioned areas especially.

In fact before I sold off my Onkyo stuffs back in Aug, I was already on the look-out for a proper desktop replacement for my DAC-1000 and I have narrowed down to either the HP-A8 or Concero HD/HP, and had personally auditioned these for myself prev.

Ultimately in the end, it came down to how some of tha Taiwanese users of some ATH headphone owners seemed to have a shared consensus that the AD series from ATH are a great match with the HP-A8's, and this DAC/amp are also considered a matchmake in heaven for both the TH600/TH900 series (you have already demoed these models with the HP-A8 combo yrself before at Yodobashi-Akiba, why do I even have to convince u further?) :s13::s13:

Reading Shigzeo's review of the PanAm, im sorry but I have to say the DAC portion implementation is more of an afterthought, there's no 1-bit DSD support, no interference shielding, no high-quality USB input.

Even when not talking abt the flagship HP-A8, just the HP-A3 alone as an owner of the A3 too myself, I can def tell you there's no issues such as noisy interference issues even when using this DAC with older laptops (Other than my current NEC Ultrabook I own a 3yr+ Toshiba, and I have also tested this with a pretty aging 8yrs old Acer TravelMate series as well, certainly there are no noisy hiss/background humming when plugged into the USB input, even with sensitive IEMs)

I would say based on the projected estimated pricing of the HP-A4 from Jude's RMAF 2013 preview, and knowing how the open market pricing in JP works, my goodman senses tells me the HP-A4 shd be a great alternative contender against the Korg DS-DAC-10 which is also a pretty well-known japanese USB DAC model.

Just for yr reference, the HP-A3 when it just came out initially in JP back in 2010, it has a MSRP of 38k yen (but can gotten for approx. 25k yen right now), while when the Korg DS-DAC-10 came out initially in JP it was based on limited production so it was launched at 49k yen initially, but was later brought down to 44k yen as MSRP when Korg decided to go ahead with mass production for this model due to positive domestic responses. (actual Amazon prices currently are ard 39k yen right now)

As usual YMMV as we all tend to listen differently, though I have no doubt if you like a clean/detailed kind of signature with gd bass/treble texture with adequate warmth in the midrange, the HP-A4 shd be something worth waiting for. You shd still experience a gradual improvement by using the HP-A4 as yr DAC source, while using yr ALO PanAm as yr pre-amp. (prolly when you want yr vocals to turn out sweeter, though I'm quite sure with the HP-A4's option of low/high gain switch which was non-existent in the A3, it shd still have plenty of power for other genres such as classical/film soundtracks w/o requiring the PanAm for pre-ampflication. (someone mentioned recently the HP-A3 has too much pwr for his HE-500, which is a gd sign bcos as far as i know Planars are pretty power-hungry, and as far as my ATH woodies experience goes they also benefit frm quite abit of gd ampflication, which in my eyes the A3 was nv a weak performer here)

Sry abt the long post there.
=:p

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hahah!

Ah yes, bro akhyar. Noticed your wisdom posts on head-fi very long ago liaos, bcos I believe u're one of those early local head-fiers who owns the TG334 with BTG Audio cables mar. (yes I actually lurked on the FitEar appreciation threads for quite sometime, just that I don't exactly use my acct to join in discussions much there, even though I was a member long time ago lol)

Congrats on yr latest hoot of the TH600, I'm quite sure they will make an excellent companion to your current arsenal of headphone gears! I will def join u guys next time, but for now I will just be satisfied with my recent ATH hoots atm. Will GPGT soon, my headphone hoots haven't arrive yet as I got it through my japanese friend and he's usually bz.

Taeyeonie

Master Member
Reaction score
dyfb.jpg

widget

Reaction score
Ah yes, bro akhyar. Noticed your wisdom posts on head-fi very long ago liaos, bcos I believe u're one of those early local head-fiers who owns the TG334 with BTG Audio cables mar. (yes I actually lurked on the FitEar appreciation threads for quite sometime, just that I don't exactly use my acct to join in discussions much there, even though I was a member long time ago lol)

Congrats on yr latest hoot of the TH600, I'm quite sure they will make an excellent companion to your current arsenal of headphone gears! I will def join u guys next time, but for now I will just be satisfied with my recent ATH hoots atm. Will GPGT soon, my headphone hoots haven't arrive yet as I got it through my japanese friend and he's usually bz.

Paisey, paisey.... make me blush until my face turned red :o
Just received the EMS tracking number from pricejapan...
Hopefully can received the can by Friday as will be in KL that evening until Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.