Not open for further replies.

aptget

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
that's correct. one time fee $50. I've applied and waiting for activation

serverxeon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got a question: what is the VPN function for the NAS?
can someone give me an example where it might come in useful?

im using iSCSI to mount a LUN onto my desktop.
will VPN allow be to mount via iSCSI? or CIFS only?

softbunlet

Reaction score
got a question: what is the VPN function for the NAS?
can someone give me an example where it might come in useful?

Just like any VPN, when you need to access a site that's blocked by your current internet connection but can be accessed through your home internet. Or to access a local networked drive at home. Of course, the current connection must have the VPN port opened in the first place.

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just re-contract with SH for the Cable 100MBPs plan. Got a SH/Cisco modem router. Did all the connections and now i cannot log into the NAS. Any help in overcoming this problem?

Fast

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ageniuine technology safe to buy from?
they are selling the synology 1513+ for 1199.

also, am i able to use normal HDD instead of the normal version?

thanks!

aptget

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
regarding Cloud Station, I've got 200gb of data to sync over a 10Mbps connection. Its updating every now and then.

My question is, If i were to add a folder/file.. does it sync ?
I've added a couple of small files (mp3) and empty folders but it does not seem to appear, accept on the PC that I created from.

aptget

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ageniuine technology safe to buy from?
they are selling the synology 1513+ for 1199.

I guess it should be OK to buy from them since they are the dealer. The agent (for warranty purposes) should be another company

aptget

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just re-contract with SH for the Cable 100MBPs plan. Got a SH/Cisco modem router. Did all the connections and now i cannot log into the NAS. Any help in overcoming this problem?

Firewall ? Port foward yet ?

radiancez567

Reaction score
How do I power on my DS213j when it is completely powered off?

I could power it on from my Android phone or Synology Assistant, when the LAN light is blinking (i.e. Wake-on-LAN). But I cannot do it if no light is blinking. Anyone?

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U can press the power button to on it.

I could power it on from my Android phone or Synology Assistant, when the LAN light is blinking (i.e. Wake-on-LAN). But I cannot do it if no light is blinking. Anyone?

radiancez567

Reaction score

U can press the power button to on it.

:D:D:D

Forgot to mention, I want to power it on without pressing the power on button :D Cos everytime I turn on my router and NAS, I still have to stretch my hand to press the power button on NAS (even though it's supposed to have WOL).

aptget

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
experts, am I right to say that Cloud Station syncs both ways ?

Lets say I have a fileshared.doc in cloudstation in PC-1 and PC-2 is able to retrieve it. I edit it and place it back into cloudstation folder, with the same name and PC-1 will receive / sync the updated file ?

DuffyX

Reaction score
Hi. I own a 213-J and there are problems streaming from video station. I had recently upgraded video station software. I can still view all my media on the NAS in catalogue mode, just that when i want to play the video it will pop out "connection expired" or "playback error". i have no problems playing these videos prior to the update. Anyone experience the same issue?

lingcw

Reaction score

Did you try "DS finder" for Android?

lingcw

Reaction score
Anyone knows how to upload a file FROM the synology NAS to some web host? e.g. google drive, mega etc.

Basically, I have the file in my NAS and I want to initiate the upload via my PC/laptop and then shut off the PC/laptop while the upload is ongoing. Something like Download Station but in reverse.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:D:D:D

Forgot to mention, I want to power it on without pressing the power on button :D Cos everytime I turn on my router and NAS, I still have to stretch my hand to press the power button on NAS (even though it's supposed to have WOL).

Can you power on a car without battery and fuel ? If you can, then we can always use the same technology to power your NAS. Please be sensible.

Obviously power has to be supplied to the unit to have it power on regardless which soft power-on method you have chosen. WOL is nothing more than your always ON network card receiving the "magic" packet and initiate the power-on on the motherboard it is connected to. There is no magic here. The only thing so called not power on is more like they are all hibernating in a standby state.

You are free to keep on NAS 24by7 on like the way I do. It's actually more efficient and less prone to failure if you keep everything stable. It's not like the NAS will require you S$100/month to run.

TheDisgruntedCitizen

Master Member
Reaction score
Can you power on a car without battery and fuel ? If you can, then we can always use the same technology to power your NAS. Please be sensible.

Obviously power has to be supplied to the unit to have it power on regardless which soft power-on method you have chosen. WOL is nothing more than your always ON network card receiving the "magic" packet and initiate the power-on on the motherboard it is connected to. There is no magic here. The only thing so called not power on is more like they are all hibernating in a standby state.

You are free to keep on NAS 24by7 on like the way I do. It's actually more efficient and less prone to failure if you keep everything stable. It's not like the NAS will require you S$100/month to run.

I seconded this opinion. The purpose of having a NAS is to provide storage readily. If you power up and down often, might as well stick with a DAS storage instead of NAS. IMO frequent power up and down may wear out the HDD faster.

samloi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading my dns320 to a ds413j. Will there be an improvement in read write speed? How about setting up for remote access. Tried reading the thread but too chim for me liao. Now I using ddns to access files through ftp(if it makes sense), paiseh I not very fluent networking stuffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.