Computer assembly: My memories over the years

UDeepEX

Reaction score
Well I thought my first computer was old enough....
66MHz with 24 MB RAM upgraded from 16MB. It was an IBM minitower running Windows 3.1 and DOS. And my monitor had a glare-reducing filter.

Was playing games like Putt Putt, Freddy Fish, Doom, Duke Nukem 1, 2, 3D, Red Alert: Aftermath / Counterstrike...etc at ages 5 onwards lol.

koroshiya8

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
rike that how to say old...
my first pc, lao pei buy for me... still remember, cost 3k..

its a canon pc. something rike the below picture...

canon1.jpg

even lower specs than that...
8086, two 5 1/4 fdd.... CGA monitor....
games that i played..

alley cat, bards tale, rotk, play games need to swap diskettes...

my first PC (my brother's actually) was also like this... Digitek was the name i think, HDD was like 500MB....

and i'm 37 this year.. dun come fight with me ok.... =:p

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
first PC i ever built was the Pentium 4 with Windows XP. Running on 128mb RAM, 40GB HDD and a cheap GPU IIRC. lol still can play red alert.

albertchng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm 34. almost the oldest here!

the first computer I remember was from the times of 286 back in 1984, when computers cost oh-so-much

You are 34 this year, in 1984 you were only 5 years old. You sure your parent will let you handle the components of a 286 computer? Come on lah, dont lie.

I'm 46 now; easily the oldest one here, a lot of shop owners in SLS still call me " 大哥 " when i go there to buy components.

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
You are 34 this year, in 1984 you were only 5 years old. You sure your parent will let you handle the components of a 286 computer? Come on lah, dont lie.

I'm 46 now; easily the oldest one here, a lot of shop owners in SLS still call me " 大哥 " when i go there to buy components.

:s13::s22::s22:

Assault

Master Member
Reaction score
My first computer, 486-SX25 (I think, or 33?) in secondary school.

After school go Bt Timah Shopping Centre top floor to hoot games... bring your own discs can be cheaper :D:D

X-Wing 4 diskettes, Wing Commander 2 11 diskettes, so many disks!!

The 7th Guest one of the hottest games to come out first on CD-Rom lol.

And McAfee virus scanner.. comes on one disk I think and always need to go update to get the latest version from the computer shop uncle!

And the BBS'es from those days, upload files to 'gain level', I still remember that lol.

Good times, will never forget those days :s13::s13:

ps and yes, I don't think 34 or 35 is anywhere close to being the oldest in terms of the computer generation :s13::s13:

fre3dom85

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nostalgic, those were the days..

My first cup was a celeron, I remember I screw up the whole building process and I have to bring my rig to my friend house for him to help me fix. Since then I've been building my own rig.

Sadly I haven't been upgrading since phenom 1.

UDeepEX

Reaction score
Old games.... good times, good times.

Rise of the Triad la, Jazz Jackrabbit la, Star Wars X-Wing, Star Wars Dark Forces, Age of Empries, Heretic, Raptor, WitchHaven, Diablo 1 (which I still play), Dune, WarCraft II, Bio Menace, Lion King, Street fighter, Sango Fighter, One must fall, Black Thorne, MegaRace.

Dunno whether anybody may remember these.

Unclemun

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my first cpu 8086 xt...enuff said.

Thats ancient. my first was a 4.77 IBM PCXT from IPC (Intelligent Personal Computer). Then I bought an NEC V20 to get 10MHz.

That was a journey of angst because I spent thousands to feed the addiction. 4X CDROM upgrade kit from Creative for $400, anyone? :eek:

Burned many things and learned many hard lessons. I will share my story later...

sHrike

Reaction score
Thats ancient. my first was a 4.77 IBM PCXT from IPC (Intelligent Personal Computer). Then I bought an NEC V20 to get 10MHz.

That was a journey of angst because I spent thousands to feed the addiction. 4X CDROM upgrade kit from Creative for $400, anyone? :eek:

Burned many things and learned many hard lessons. I will share my story later...

curious to know what hard lessons other than a big hole in your pocket....now DVDrom are dirt cheap.

sHrike

Reaction score
who got earliest join date is oldest in HWZ...mine is Jan 2000...any older..hahhah

CeleronD

Reaction score

Haha, not handle the components la. Play PAC man and lode runner.

fockyerdod3r

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sad to say PC is a sunset industry.

i just upgraded my graphic card and using a core2duo E8400 I can play the latest games...no need to upgrade CPU at all

Zhun bo? I still got E8400 with me, this thing is a joke with all the current game. BF3 it ran out of steam. If throw bf4 to it, i dont know what will happen. Use GTX680 help the CPU also useless, the CPU is a bottleneck!!!

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Oldest should be Dr Philip Teo, famed for helping out forummers threatened with defamation lawsuits by Video-Pro.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.