Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

albertchng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
.__.

there is no such thing as zero radiation... u ask me, the radiation from our mobiles are not properly studied to ensure that such prolonged close proximity exposure is okay...

.___.

so we should ditch our handphones for safety?

I have been using mobile since the Motorola water bottle era and the exposure to mobile phone radiation all these years i still standing, eat well and enjoying life.

Cant say the same on those brave firemen that risk their life spraying water into the leaked reactor container, how many still alive today?

.__________.

lillyelf

Reaction score
Leaving for Japan in 2 days time, suddenly have questions:
1. ICOCA or Surutto Kansai prepaid for Kyoto? I read that not all trains and buses accept ICOCA in Kyoto. If I only planning to go Kyoto and Nara but staying in Osaka for the night, do I still need to buy ICOCA?
2. Do they have different ticket gates for different lines? If not, how do I know which card can be used for which train? I believe the prepaid card deduct the fare when you exit in destination station (like our ezlink)?
3. For connecting trains, do I need to exit the ticket gate and enter again?

Sorry if I sounded silly :s22:

1. ICOCA is like exactly like the EZlink card. You can buy it and top it up as you need when you travel between Kyoto, Nara and Osaka. Unless you're going far off the beaten path, you should be able to use it everywhere you go. Alternatively, you can buy individual tickets, but that's a lot more inconvenient esp if you're changing between train systems.

2. Yes. Eg, if you take a JR train and need to connect to a Hankyu train, you need to get out of the JR station and into the Hankyu station. ICOCA can be tapped at both stations.

3. Not for connecting trains on the same line. Eg, if you are transferring JR trains, you stay within the train station.

RobertTeo

Reaction score
Hi going to Tokyo free and easy in Nov. may I ask where to book day tour to Mt Fuji and Hakone.
Shall I book in sin or Tokyo?
Thanks

Japan I can Mt. Fuji & Hakone 1-Day Tour (With lunch) | JAPAN TOURS: Enjoy Your Japan Vacation With These Travel Packages - JAPANiCAN or The Grey Line Japan Gray Line, Travel & Tour Japan company. Which one to choose?

I will be staying at Shinjuku Washington Tokyo and they have Grey Line tour counter which they provide pick up and drop off where i will staying.

Many thanks

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Japan I can Mt. Fuji & Hakone 1-Day Tour (With lunch) | JAPAN TOURS: Enjoy Your Japan Vacation With These Travel Packages - JAPANiCAN or The Grey Line Japan Gray Line, Travel & Tour Japan company. Which one to choose?

I will be staying at Shinjuku Washington Tokyo and they have Grey Line tour counter which they provide pick up and drop off where i will staying.

Many thanks

get a Fuji Hakone Pass 7200 yen, DIY is cheaper.
Rail Pass: Fuji Hakone Pass

fishfood

Reaction score
Hi, have some questions regarding JR pass and train taking:

I would be going to Hokkaido for 7 days but after doing a rough calculation on the train fares, realise that there wouldn't be much difference between buying a pass or just buying train tickets per train trip over there.

1. Would it still be advisable to purchase the JR pass even though the difference, for my case, is about $10?

2. How easy is it to purchase the train tickets over there? Using ticket vending machine like our mrt? Currently all I have are 10000 yen notes so I'm not too sure if it would be easy to get smaller change if I'm in a hurry to catch my first train from the airport to Hakodate.

3. How do I make purchase for reserved seating? I'm worried I'm not able to get seats especially for trips that are more than 1hr. With JR pass, what I gathered is it is already paid for and included in the pass, just have to approach the JR staff at the station for reservation correct? Does the same thing applies for single trip tickets as well other than you have to top up more for the reserved seats? Do I have to look for the JR staff as well?

4. Anyone tried this online reservation system before?
https://www3.jrhokkaido.co.jp/rail-en/html/index.aspx

Thanks!

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I would be going to Hokkaido for 7 days but after doing a rough calculation on the train fares, realise that there wouldn't be much difference between buying a pass or just buying train tickets per train trip over there.

1. Would it still be advisable to purchase the JR pass even though the difference, for my case, is about $10?

2. How easy is it to purchase the train tickets over there? Using ticket vending machine like our mrt? Currently all I have are 10000 yen notes so I'm not too sure if it would be easy to get smaller change if I'm in a hurry to catch my first train from the airport to Hakodate.

3. How do I make purchase for reserved seating? I'm worried I'm not able to get seats especially for trips that are more than 1hr. With JR pass, what I gathered is it is already paid for and included in the pass, just have to approach the JR staff at the station for reservation correct? Does the same thing applies for single trip tickets as well other than you have to top up more for the reserved seats? Do I have to look for the JR staff as well?

4. Anyone tried this online reservation system before?
https://www3.jrhokkaido.co.jp/rail-en/html/index.aspx

Thanks!

Some guide on what and where to buy for your JR tickets
Purchasing Tickets | Ticketing | JR-EAST

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5306.html

Don't forget about those cities day passes, if your travelling fits,these can save you money too.

Last edited:

coldkey

Reaction score

1. Not sure if you have looked at them but there are Hokkaido specific JR passes, the 4 day flexible pass is quite good if you are not traveling every day. Else, you can also consider their economical tickets, some discounts for return trips on each route.

Economical Tickets

2. Not 100% sure but I think the machines take 10,000 yen notes too. I used a machine to top up my Kitaca with a 10,000 yen note though the way the change is returned is a bit weird, it spits out the 1,000 notes 1 by 1.

3. You can reserve the seats at anytime, so it is possible to book all your reserve seats at the same place. Best is at Chitose airport or Sapporo traveller information office, where they have english staff to handle your enquiries.

You can use Hyperdia to search the routes and identify the trains and timings, then print it in a spreadsheet and make your reservations upon arrival.

fishfood

Reaction score
Hi cpuer, coldkey,

Thanks for the replies and appreciate the advice given. I guess I'll be buying the JR pass anyway to save the hassle and maybe get all the seat reservations I need at the airport.

buzzmario

Reaction score
Hakone 1 day short trip

hi I have planned out the following as per my 1 day short trip, as i can't figure out what is the travelling time between these places in hakone, hope you can guide me whether my planning is workable or not.

As i am staying at Loge Fujimein, I have planned as follow after i check out . the day i check in ,it already 4 plus pm hence i suppose i cant do any tour at all.
7.00am- Breakfast
8.00am- Check out and forward Baggage to Hakone Yumoto
8.00 to 8.30 am-Walk to Togendai -Ko
>Take Rope way to Owakudani Station for boil egg
>10am-Take Cruise Ride around Lake Ashi
>11.30am-Back to Togendai -Ko
>Take Rope way to Sounzan
>Take Cable Car to Gora Station
>2pm-Take Tozan Line to Chokoku-no-mori Station (visit The Hakone Open-Air Museum)
>3.30pm-Take Tozan Line to Hakone Yumoto Station
>4.18pm-Take Railway from Hakone Yumoto to Shinjuku>
5.49pm Reach Shinjuku JR
I am making the loop clock wise instead of anti cock wise. and i try to complete this loop before 4pm so i could reach shinjuku before 6 pm for my check in to hotel.

As i am not sure about the travelling time between all these places , hope you guy can advise me whether it is workable or not.

Thanks

123qwesz

Reaction score
Hey quick question, I'm a teenage male and everything in Tokyo here now has winter clothing.
I've been to shinjuku and shibuya. Any other places to buy clothes that can be worn in Singapore?

Also, where is the best place in Tokyo to buy souvenirs such as candy?

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey quick question, I'm a teenage male and everything in Tokyo here now has winter clothing.
I've been to shinjuku and shibuya. Any other places to buy clothes that can be worn in Singapore?

Not sure about summer clothing in Tokyo fall season

For candies and snack, i always see people talking about Ueno's Ameyoko. If you haven't been there you may want to plan to visit it one day.

http://www.japan-talk.com/jt/new/ameyoko-in-tokyo

coldkey

Reaction score

Not a clothing expert or anywhere near it but Harajuku or Ikebukuro are popular teens hangout in Tokyo, so maybe something there will may attract your interests.

If you want something cheap japanese candy souvenirs, can try google for nearby Aeon or Jusco stores, like shopping in NTUC in Singapore.

ShinigamiX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Valid route

[Keisei Skyliner]
Between Narita Airport Terminal 1 Station/Narita Airport Terminal 2 Station and Nippori Station/Keisei Ueno Station

[Tokyo Metro]
All Tokyo Metro lines

sorry... wan 2 ask in bold, that means ALL over tokyo? my accomodation nearest will b minami-senju....is it covered?(Joban line i thnk). TIA!

watzdat

Reaction score
hi im planning to go tokyo in dec.. planning to go disneyland or disneysea..
my husband and i will be travelling together.. no kids yet.. so which is better? heard that disneyland has more kiddy rides? or should we go for both? or are there any other themeparks which is worth going to?

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Valid route

[Keisei Skyliner]
Between Narita Airport Terminal 1 Station/Narita Airport Terminal 2 Station and Nippori Station/Keisei Ueno Station

[Tokyo Metro]
All Tokyo Metro lines

sorry... wan 2 ask in bold, that means ALL over tokyo? my accomodation nearest will b minami-senju....is it covered?(Joban line i thnk). TIA!

Minami senju covered by Hibiya line

albertchng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

albertchng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Due to family emergency, both me and wifey did not leave for tokyo this morning, forfeited our flight tixs, 1 day hotel room charge due to last minute cancellation and the eConnect data sim that was sent to my hotel. All in lose about $1500. Will plan for next April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.