[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecs93

Reaction score
bro. wd red is the same price as seagate nasworks. Review wise they are quite comparable but seagate seem to win by a little margin. u can purchase separately.. in terms of hoot 1 time or not think depend on ur budget or hoot 1 time pay by interest free installment. My choice now is 1 shot hoot no need headache. Just looking for the best price.

Hoot-ted one shot! Installment of course. Setting it up now and how to enjoy the units capability!

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Using Dlink 320 previously, I could view the share folder on my media player. Recently upgraded to Synology DS-312J NAS but my media player cannot view the files on the share folder anymore. I could only see /Net/Diskstation with the message " the current directory is empty " but surprisingly I could see all the files on my PC.

Any kind soul can help or did I miss out anything?

Thanks !

Index the files.

/Dan

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bought 213j and 2 x 2tb wd red

Noticed that this model is $1 more than the last comex show..but hdd is cheaper by $19

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Using Dlink 320 previously, I could view the share folder on my media player. Recently upgraded to Synology DS-312J NAS but my media player cannot view the files on the share folder anymore. I could only see /Net/Diskstation with the message " the current directory is empty " but surprisingly I could see all the files on my PC.

Any kind soul can help or did I miss out anything?

Thanks !

got such issue? then i must think twice...... am using 320 and is the similar set up as urs, media player access media files on shared drive over network...

Vulpix

Reaction score
There is no need to get 2 hard disk for hot swap, because you will not likely be in time to prevent the next hard disk failure if your components are so fragile.

Lets be concise between backup and hot swap. Backup is just another copy of the same data. Hotswap in storage normally refer to the availability of extra disk for automated swapping with the failed component in an array in the event of a disk failure. Without hot swap configured, it means the administrator will need to manually place and configure a replacement disk into the array.

No hard disk appointed for other purposes can be used for hot swap. Hot swap disk candidates cannot be repurpose until they are removed from the array configuration.

NAS do not provide protection against virus. It is the job of an antivirus job to detect virus. NAS that allow running of applications in it, may have antivirus packages offered to allow scanning of the array without the intervention of the user or any other systems/hosts. This is a feature, not necessarily available to all NAS solutions.

Electric shortage happens for all peripherals may it be computer related or even storage related. The common approach to using UPS to prevent such event from corrupting the storage system. Synology offers integration with some UPS where the UPS can notify the NAS in the event of a power failure. The NAS can be configured to react by shutdown as soon as possible or shutdown after some time or shutdown when the battery in the UPS is low. The main purpose is to allow proper shutdown of the NAS in the event of a power outrage. That will prevent any form of disk corruption. UPS also prevent against power surge, and spikes.

I have been running my NAS 24by7 for more than 2 years on RAID 6 with 2 level backups. Throughout the lifecycle, I have encountered 1 or 2 blackouts and 2 hard disk failures with NO data lost.
I must be damn sway. :( 2 years, 2 blackouts and NAS die with HDD.

smtowner

Reaction score
Hi experts

I've just purchased a synology 214SE with a 4TB seagate

First attempt using it to transfer files from my surface pro gave me about 4mb/s transfer

Any way to improve the speed?

I'm using 5ghz network with an asus ac66u router . Router is wireless and not wired connection as it's located in the living room . Appreciated !

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Got additional $20 off if you buy hdd also

Last edited:

jimmyleong

Master Member
Reaction score
DS413 is selling at $499 while DS414 is selling at $600.

is it worth the extra $100 to get DS414 instead of DS413?

DS1513 is nearly double in price so feels like a sucker if I buy that.

eurofunk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now that u said it yea...buy must get 1813 if not realy like sucker lol can buy 2 units of 413

If don't populate 8hdds one shot at the beginning can just like use 4 first?

jimmyleong

Master Member
Reaction score
131128-ace-bazaar-asustor-acti-hiti-synology-seagate-wd-pg1.jpg

There is free upgrade to 4GB RAM for 1513+ and 1813+.

It is painful to invest but I am thinking of doing it once and forget about it for a few years. Afterall data is priceless, especially children growing up progress and family and holiday photos.

How many of you here are running Raid 5, 6 or 10?

My current 413J is running in Raid 5.

No one has information about Memory World's price offers?

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
131128-ace-bazaar-asustor-acti-hiti-synology-seagate-wd-pg1.jpg

There is free upgrade to 4GB RAM for 1513+ and 1813+.

It is painful to invest but I am thinking of doing it once and forget about it for a few years. Afterall data is priceless, especially children growing up progress and family and holiday photos.

How many of you here are running Raid 5, 6 or 10?

My current 413J is running in Raid 5.

No one has information about Memory World's price offers?
I dropped by and asked about the 213J as well as 2tb red hdd prices.

Seems to be the same at $269 and $136 respectively

strife2

Master Member
Reaction score
memory world only brought in 2 bay de.. at least that's what the guy told me when i queried him for DS413

gamestation100

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i got a noob question. If i allows file sharing for my friends and they download movies and songs from my folder to their com, Is this consider illegal as this is a web base with ip address server.

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dropped by and asked about the 213J as well as 2tb red hdd prices.

Seems to be the same at $269 and $136 respectively

u buy already?

-.-

So much models dunno wat to choose.
214 and 213j

is it only the dual core. diff?

Last edited:

slang

Master Member
Reaction score
yesterday the synology guy from Sitex told me that mediabox located at another location cannot be used to stream movies from my home is this true? He said streaming can be done only using laptop or PC on another location. Not to mediabox.

If this is true then i am hesitant to buy it already.

cos initially thot that it would be nice if during christmas gathering, can watch movies in another location via media box connected to the modem - to the TV.

anyone can confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.