Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
Have a look at my post here.

Situation 2(a) applies to you since you mention without signing up with either of the Pay TV operators.
Your Samsung would have to have a DVB-C tuner built-in. If not, perhaps you could buy a DVB-C tuner. Your parents would then be able to enjoy digital TV in the living room. Although as of now, for DVB-C, it's SD for the 7 FTA channels + HD5.

As to whether StarHub would carry the other 3 HD channels (Ch 8,Suria & Vas) on DVB-C, like Kiwi8 has said, depends on MediaCorp's negotiations with StarHub.
MediaCorp might even get them to relay the DVB-T2 signals like how the analogue signals are right now? *shrugs*
God knows which alternative and stage they are negotiating at right now.
Only insiders might know.

Any insiders here know? Or anyone know of any insiders?

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Looks not bad.... hopefully they can do as what the map indicated, to improve the indoor reception if that means either through the StarHub antenna point or the HDB MATV antenna point. :o

i guess the "indoor reception" here is something like the mobile phone network... where they install repeaters islandwide, in buildings and neighbourhoods.
so that next time, tv and mobile phones (with tv function) can recv digital tv everywhere islandwide... just my guess.

the outdoor reception is now islandwide... which means everyone should be able to recv dvb-t2 if the antenna is near window.

ah_cheng1882

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights. Unfortunately, my TV set has only DVB-T. :(

Situation 2(a) applies to you since you mention without signing up with either of the Pay TV operators.
Your Samsung would have to have a DVB-C tuner built-in. If not, perhaps you could buy a DVB-C tuner. Your parents would then be able to enjoy digital TV in the living room. Although as of now, for DVB-C, it's SD for the 7 FTA channels + HD5.

As to whether StarHub would carry the other 3 HD channels (Ch 8,Suria & Vas) on DVB-C, like Kiwi8 has said, depends on MediaCorp's negotiations with StarHub.
MediaCorp might even get them to relay the DVB-T2 signals like how the analogue signals are right now? *shrugs*

hwsinn

Reaction score
i just saw on CNA and the pic on some of the posts saying those mentioned channels are going digital. I came home and scanned using my pc TV-tuner which i use to watch HD5 etc but i cannot detect those channels.

I even swapped a new antenna to try.

PS: i havent really read the new posts yet and im assuming i can see digital 8 and HD5, i should be able to receive. Gonna follow up later

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
Omg. Channel 8 HD when downscaled to SD, the quality is damn bad la...

Edit: I am using StarHub Hubstation HD

Last edited:

hwsinn

Reaction score
damn...i think my PCI TV Tuner is DVB-T, thats why i cant find those new signals

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Why MATV Is Able To Receive T & T2 Broadcast?

For hdb and condo residents who receive their tv signals through the matv wall points (not starhub points), they are likely to be able to receive the T & T2 broadcast if they are receiving the analogue channels, U (chan 28), Octo (chan 30) and CNA (chan 32) now.

Why is this so?

Take a look at the sketch below which shows a highly simplified matv system using 3 filters for channels 28, 30 and 32. This means that the matv, on paper, will only be supplying signals for these 3 channels, signals on other channels are blocked.
xm2G7.jpg

However, passive filters as used in matv in real world do not have the high "selectivity" with U-shaped curve. Instead, it is more like a V-shaped curve as represented by the red line in the sketch below:
w5ZBJ.jpg

So, signals not too far away from the pass bands, ie chan 28, 30, and 32 will be able to come in, though at a reduced level.

If helped that T, and more so in T2, the design of the dvb system makes the signals extremely robust. Weak signals containing high error can still be successfully decoded to provide satisfactory digital tv reception.

That is the reason why matv could receive T broadcast which used chan 29 a few months ago. And for the same reason some matv are now receiving the new T2 broadcast using chans 27, 29 and 31.

Edit: amended links to sketches.

Last edited:

hwsinn

Reaction score
wow, i never expected it to be so complicated.

i always thought the antenna on top of HDB was a passive or x-level gained antenna receiving the signal and then filtering unwanted "segments" and amplifying it to distribute to our household. The others will be done by the tuner at the TV end.

So as long theres any form of antenna (indoor if signal is strong enough) connected to a DVB-T2 tuner, everything will be fine

oric1

Reaction score

Situation 2(a) applies to me too as I'm the one who asked you that question. My Samsung has a built-in DVB T2/C tuner but still can't get HD5, only the SD channels :(

toshm200

Reaction score
Situation 2(a) applies to me too as I'm the one who asked you that question. My Samsung has a built-in DVB T2/C tuner but still can't get HD5, only the SD channels :(

You will need an antenna (indoor type) to receive digital signal, preferably with booster type

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Even though my 4K tv has built-in DVB-T2 but I still cannot receive digital tv until 2015

Sian leow

yxyxx8

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My older spec dvb t2 can't scan the v1.3.1 channels but it paused for quite a long time at the correct frequencies on ch27,29 and 31.

Need to look at draco one loh.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Even though my 4K tv has built-in DVB-T2 but I still cannot receive digital tv until 2015

Sian leow
Don't lose heart... Can always try antenna with a long cable to stick out of the window, if the usual indoor antenna doesn't work.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Don't lose heart... Can always try antenna with a long cable to stick out of the window, if the usual indoor antenna doesn't work.

I'm staying in HDB and using the wall antenna by HDB. Can have digital tv signal with your suggestion if MediaCorp says my area is only ready by 2015?

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
You will need an antenna (indoor type) to receive digital signal, preferably with booster type
They are talking about different thing. Starhub have unencrypted HD5 on 370000KHz. Some can receive it on their dvb-c tuner, some cannot.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yes, as long as the TV is ready for it. You have a better chance.
When nearby counties start to transmit in digital. then is time to enjoy.

merc

Reaction score

Sian leow

Not true, my area queenstown showing 2015 but I'm already got digital channels by using the indoor antenna.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm staying in HDB and using the wall antenna by HDB. Can have digital tv signal with your suggestion if MediaCorp says my area is only ready by 2015?
First, I have assumed that you have read my post #227 about matv (same meaning as your wall antenna) being able to receive digital signals. Second, since you said you have to wait until 2015, therefore I concluded that your wall point was not able to supply the digital tv signal.

MediaCorp has announced that outdoor T2 signal is all over the island. If you stick out antenna (indoor type) through the window, you have high chance of receiving the signal. While the progress of indoor coverage is indicated by geographical area, the signal will not follow exactly as what MediaCorp said - it can spill over from the outdoor signal.

As I said earlier, try with an indoor antenna and you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

I hope I have answered all your questions.

Last edited:

SilveR1_09

Reaction score

Yup, I am aware that situation 2(a) applies to you as well.
I passed on to you Kiwi8's suggestion of the manual frequency as he got it working for his external DVB-T2/C tuner that he bought.

Are you able to get the 4 other DVB-C channels that sunsetbay mentioned?
(there's another 4 un-encrypted HD channels from DVB-C on 434 & 458Mhz~ one sport, H2, Lifetime HD & Nat'l Geo HD~ not sure if ts limited period time, will continue to monitor~ another free non-HD is Karaoke channel which is pretty much crap)

Maybe you could post a screen grab of the above (if you are able to tune in to them) and also a screen grab of the 7 MediaCorp FTA digital DVB-C channels?

Strange part is that for Kiwi8, is it the other way round for him!
He can get the 7 digital FTA channels + HD5 on DVB-C.
But not on DVB-T2!

Last edited:

SilveR1_09

Reaction score
When nearby counties start to transmit in digital. then is time to enjoy.

The original purpose when I purchase my DVB-T2 STB was for this.
But it has not been successful thus far, yet.

In fact, Batam (Indonesia) has started transmitting in DVB-T2!
But their rollout have been glitchy. Transmission on and off air. Data (channel no) have been not consistent.

The ERP from their transmission tower seems not that strong.
If you are in the East Coast area, have higher chance.

1 or 2 of the frequency used also seems to clash with analog frequency of some Malaysia TV stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.