Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Yes, I noticed this also. You are not alone... :look:

thanks. i guess they are testing 5(HD).

now at this time, 5(HD) again got 3 audio tracks. but now "Dolby D+" is not the default audio track... the default is AAC.

viv4080

Reaction score
I'd connected both with and without amplifier but draco antenna not able to received any signal...

Managed to get skycom technician came down to test at my house using one of their testing equipment n the reading is around 40dbi which is insufficient to received any digital signals (using draco antenna). They did brought others antenna, brand Margon v2.0 to do testing and voila, the reading shoot up to 65 - 70 dbi and all channels able to scanned. The reading for signal intensity is 97% and signal quality is 98%. So... the choice is clear, the draco antenna is not workable at my area (Bedok North). I make the purchased on the spot for this Margon antenna from them since everything works fine. All the HD channels now look greats :s13:

adds : Margon V2.0 antenna come with internal amplifier / booster

Hi Toshm,

Which direction (North, South, East, or West) is your antennae facing? What is the price of the Margon antenna?

I cannot wait until 2015 for the rollout in my area. I have a TV in my bedroom, but without any SCV or HDB antenna point. In fact, this is my only option to receive FTA channel, after terminating my mio TV service.

Window in my room is facing south. I think chances would be better if it is facing north (as it is closer to AMK).

Would appreciate any feedback from others living in Toa Payoh area on the reception of DVB-T2 signal? Thanks.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, where to buy Margon v2.0 here? Does it comes with a set top box with HDMI outputs?

Link please. Thx

I'd connected both with and without amplifier but draco antenna not able to received any signal...

Managed to get skycom technician came down to test at my house using one of their testing equipment n the reading is around 40dbi which is insufficient to received any digital signals (using draco antenna). They did brought others antenna, brand Margon v2.0 to do testing and voila, the reading shoot up to 65 - 70 dbi and all channels able to scanned. The reading for signal intensity is 97% and signal quality is 98%. So... the choice is clear, the draco antenna is not workable at my area (Bedok North). I make the purchased on the spot for this Margon antenna from them since everything works fine. All the HD channels now look greats :s13:

adds : Margon V2.0 antenna come with internal amplifier / booster

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Toshm,

Which direction (North, South, East, or West) is your antennae facing? What is the price of the Margon antenna?

I cannot wait until 2015 for the rollout in my area. I have a TV in my bedroom, but without any SCV or HDB antenna point. In fact, this is my only option to receive FTA channel, after terminating my mio TV service.

Window in my room is facing south. I think chances would be better if it is facing north (as it is closer to AMK).

Would appreciate any feedback from others living in Toa Payoh area on the reception of DVB-T2 signal? Thanks.
I believe facing Bukit Batok (where transmitter tower originates) is the most sounding solution...

toshm200

Reaction score
How much is this Margon V2.0 antenna? also can take picture of it? is it this one?
margon_home_2_0_1_1.jpg

Yeas ... This is the 1, I paid $39 for it.

toshm200

Reaction score
thanks. i guess they are testing 5(HD).

now at this time, 5(HD) again got 3 audio tracks. but now "Dolby D+" is not the default audio track... the default is AAC.

Mine 5(HD) come with 3 audio, defaults is "Dolby D+"

toshm200

Reaction score
Hi Toshm,

I put the antenna on window grille facing north, I paid 39 for it. You need to adjust the antenna til you get the "perfect" spot to receive digital signal

toshm200

Reaction score
Hi, where to buy Margon v2.0 here? Does it comes with a set top box with HDMI outputs?

Link please. Thx

I'm not sure where to get this antenna in spore as skycom technician bring over to my house to do testing yday. You can give them a call

petetherock

Reaction score
There is a small article announcing DTV in Today paper... shows you that we are still in the infancy of digital TV..

viv4080

Reaction score
I put the antenna on window grille facing north, I paid 39 for it. You need to adjust the antenna til you get the "perfect" spot to receive digital signal

Mine will have to face south. $39 price is OK if it can work. Thanks for your reply.

I believe facing Bukit Batok (where transmitter tower originates) is the most sounding solution...

Hi MF,

That goes without saying. Unfortunately, my window is in a recess area, and faces south direction. It is not possible to position antenna towards west direction.

Last edited:

Windowlover

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to get this antenna in spore as skycom technician bring over to my house to do testing yday. You can give them a call

This service is free or selling their product type ? I think paying S$39 if can receive is not a high price then to wait till 2015.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

Link please. Thx
A separate indoor antenna is needed for digital tv signal since you can't get it from hdb wall point.

For satisfactory analogue tv reception, you still have to rely on the hdb wall point. Indoor antenna cannot do it.

The stark reality is that it's either manual switch or remote control even after 2015 - there is no other way. It will last until the analogue broadcast shut down. I expect the hdb matv to be shut down at the same time since it will be redundant by then.

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh my, it looks like you are taking from starhub point, NOT hdb point.
I'm not sure why but i can receive non-StarHub, FTA channels from malaysia and indonesia unrestricted from my master bedroom illegal cable point until Starhub technician replace the illegal filter with SCV certified one, where everything changes to Starhub permitted channels and frequencies.

How to determine if one's cable point routes to HDB antenna point?

My house used to install illegitimate signal filter in the master bedroom (that is also split into cable point in sister's bedroom next door, that sister's bedroom's cable point casing has the genuine SCV label though) which detects most foreign analogue channels blocked by SCV e.g. TV2, TVRI, SCTV, ntv7, etc... and no SCV analogue test channels. Then when my sister subscribed to SCV for her bedroom, the technician found out about the inability to receive SCV channels through her bedroon cable point (and hence the illegal filter and cable point in the master bedroom) and thus changed the master bedroom's cable point with new legit filter and then both TVs in the master bedroom and sister's bedroom are able to receive SCV signal, no more FTA foreign channels and able to receive SCV test channels as well as Mediacorp FTA channels using StarHub specified frequencies.

My question here is, does the difference between SCV certified cable point and connection to HDB MATV antenna point differs by the legitimacy of the signal filter used? :s11:

oric1

Reaction score
oric1 wrote:
Situation 2(a) applies to me too as I'm the one who asked you that question. My Samsung has a built-in DVB T2/C tuner but still can't get HD5, only the SD channels :(

Yup, I am aware that situation 2(a) applies to you as well.
I passed on to you Kiwi8's suggestion of the manual frequency as he got it working for his external DVB-T2/C tuner that he bought.

Are you able to get the 4 other DVB-C channels that sunsetbay mentioned?
(there's another 4 un-encrypted HD channels from DVB-C on 434 & 458Mhz~ one sport, H2, Lifetime HD & Nat'l Geo HD~ not sure if ts limited period time, will continue to monitor~ another free non-HD is Karaoke channel which is pretty much crap)

Maybe you could post a screen grab of the above (if you are able to tune in to them) and also a screen grab of the 7 MediaCorp FTA digital DVB-C channels?

Strange part is that for Kiwi8, is it the other way round for him!
He can get the 7 digital FTA channels + HD5 on DVB-C.
But not on DVB-T2!

Hi SilveR1_09,

Nope, I can't get those 4 channels - one sport, H2, Lifetime HD & Nat'l Geo HD when my Samsung is connected to StarHub cable point even though my TV has built-in DVB-T2 & C tuner.

I can only get these analog frequencies:

TV1 = 55Mhz
SH Arena = 76Mhz
Chn 5 = 175Mhz
SH Preview = 189Mhz
Chn 8 = 196Mhz
Suria = 224Mhz
Chn U = 487Mhz
Okto = 503Mhz
CNA = 543Mhz
SH Test = 743Mhz

I just wasted $64 today purchasing a Daiyo EU 1702 HD Digital Indoor Antenna (powered) from Courts. I placed the antenna indoor and also outside my window, both cannot detect digital signal :(

BTW, I'm staying in HDB in Bishan near Bishan-AMK Park (facing Mediacorp Caldecott Hill).

It makes me wonder whether my Samsung DVB-T2 tuner is faulty or there's no digital signal completely in Bishan area.

And also whether is my DVB-C tuner faulty too? Since Kiwi8 can can received HD5 on DVB-C but I can't.

Anybody staying in Bishan managed to get digital signal (T2) using indoor antenna?

This digital TV thingy is so confusing :D

Last edited:

oric1

Reaction score
Haha ok. Could u help out oric1 a lil bit here.
Check out your HD5.
And post a screen grab of the frequency number and other details/settings like the channel bandwidth, modulation, encoding etc that your tuner could display?

Not sure why his Samsung with a DVB-C/T2 tuner couldn't get HD5.

Oric1, if you are reading this, perhaps you wanna share with the community the exact model of your Samsung Smart TV. Maybe someone have a similar model and a solution?

Thanks SilveR1_09 / Sunsetbay.

It's this model UA55F7500BK 55" Series 7 LED - TECH SPECS | SAMSUNG

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi SilveR1_09,

Nope, I can't get those 4 channels - one sport, H2, Lifetime HD & Nat'l Geo HD when my Samsung is connected to StarHub cable point even though my TV has built-in DVB-T2 & C tuner.

I can only get these analog frequencies:

TV1 = 55Mhz
SH Arena = 76Mhz
Chn 5 = 175Mhz
SH Preview = 189Mhz
Chn 8 = 196Mhz
Suria = 224Mhz
Chn U = 487Mhz
Okto = 503Mhz
CNA = 543Mhz
SH Test = 743Mhz

I just wasted $64 today purchasing a Daiyo EU 1702 HD Digital Indoor Antenna (powered) from Courts. I placed the antenna indoor and also outside my window, both cannot detect digital signal :(

BTW, I'm staying in HDB in Bishan near Bishan-AMK Park (facing Mediacorp Caldecott Hill).

It makes me wonder whether my Samsung DVB-T2 tuner is faulty or there's no digital signal completely in Bishan area.

And also whether is my DVB-C tuner faulty too? Since Kiwi8 can can received HD5 on DVB-C but I can't.

Anybody staying in Bishan managed to get digital signal (T2) using indoor antenna?

This digital TV thingy is so confusing :D
Perhaps this sounds lame but did you select DTV/digital mode when scanning for the channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.