New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

xiaogary

Reaction score
BTO in SK
photo_zpse8fe618d.jpg

There is a data point from the untility box to a data point in Living room.
Quite a dismay job from contractor as you need to squeese in a ONT to this small ultility box.

You dont need to squeeze the ONT into the box. I put my ONT outside this box. This metal box have a few partially covered holes (like a car coupon) below which you just need to twist the metal plate to squeeze the LAN cable through into the box. Anyway the power point is beside the box. You need to connect the ONT to the power point also.

ekin101

Reaction score
I saw my friend new flat in Seng Kang similar to the pic. How do u guys connect the phone line from ONT when there is not phone port near the utility box? The nearest is like 6m away..

There is only 1 LAN point in the utility box that direct it to the living room for the router usage.

Trying to figure out why they build it this way..

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the phone line is suppose to be on the RG mah. U only put the ONT in that box, connect the LAN patch to the ONT.

Then connect the RG at the other end of the patch. Then u can connect ur phone to the RG

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
before u start yr reno, if u want your fiber to be at console area, its best to seek yr electrician advice on how to do it.

if not u got to squeeze everything into a small white box provided usually at the main door area. yr fiber point plus optical plus modem all in, quite headache as power point is outside the box.

my electrician managed to do it for me during reno, heng ah cos i dint thot of that also initially.

Last edited:

ekin101

Reaction score
the phone line is suppose to be on the RG mah. U only put the ONT in that box, connect the LAN patch to the ONT.

Then connect the RG at the other end of the patch. Then u can connect ur phone to the RG

The phone line from M1 comes from the ONT huawei box now right? then 1 LAN from ONT to the router (Asus RT-56) which doesn't have phone line capability.

RG with phone line is from SingTel?

Snowblind

Reaction score
I recently moved into my new bto and subscribe to m1 fibre and phone line. I got one guy from hwz to convert the ports so that i got multiple lan points.

1. Converted 2 phone ports in master room n room 2 to lan ports.
2. Put a phone port in the utility box which is connected to the phone port in the hall. This way, I do not have to put the phone in the box as well.

This can be done if ur home is new bto. Look for the guy in marketplace and contact them. They got the tools to check in the conversion will works. By doing this conversion, I am able to put my home phone line in the hall and not in the utility box. And I got a 2nd router in my master room to provide coverage for my tv, hp, tablet n ps3. Cheers

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
This is how mine is supposed to look like...Sengkang. Not yet collect key. Neighbour block collected and took this photo...

ougGzsH.jpg

audiovideo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so envy got new flat got chance to lay cable nice nice

if got chance I will add fibre points to all room + cat6 cables
plus well hidden trunking for future DIY link up :s13:

can forgo homeplug and/or wireless

ekin101

Reaction score
Yours look so complicated. Got patch panel even... Means mine is basic and not sure if it even means that the whole house is network :(

I guess there was a phase 6 years back where HDB tries wiring up LAN for the entire house (3 rooms, living room and kitchen. After that they didn't continue with this approach.

Took me awhile to understand how it work. Basically phone lines are daisy chain, means all my rooms have digital phonelines. All ports are RJ45/11 compatible, so even if it's telephone port, I can use it as LAN. Cables used are Cat 5e since 6 years liao.

My router 4 ports connects to individual ports on the LAN panel to select which rooms to have LAN.

I checked my friends new flat, it's all wired up all right.. Cat 6 cable but the ports are all RJ11(for telephone). Only 1 LAN port in the utility box for connection from ONT to another LAN port near the TV which then connect to the router. HDB expect everyone to use wireless in rooms..

Last edited:

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
I checked my friends new flat, it's all wired up all right.. Cat 6 cable but the ports are all RJ11(for telephone). Only 1 LAN port in the utility box for connection from ONT to another LAN port near the TV which then connect to the router. HDB expect everyone to use wireless in rooms..

Thanks bro.. That is sad news for me.... Does that also mean i cannot convert those RJ11 points to RJ45 to make it a LAN point ? I read somewhere in this forum that it can be done ?

ekin101

Reaction score
Thanks bro.. That is sad news for me.... Does that also mean i cannot convert those RJ11 points to RJ45 to make it a LAN point ? I read somewhere in this forum that it can be done ?

I read it's possible.. need to spend additional to change the connector.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The phone line from M1 comes from the ONT huawei box now right? then 1 LAN from ONT to the router (Asus RT-56) which doesn't have phone line capability.

RG with phone line is from SingTel?

hmm.. Mine is SH. phone line is on RG. I din know other ISPs one different. Then it is poor design on the developers part lor.

andies

Master Member
Reaction score
The crucial question is where did they terminate the phone cables? ie. where they connect the home's phone cables to the one from singtel

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i managed to change all my rooms RJ11 to RJ45 points.

total cost incur = less than $60 bucks

mine is cat6 cables prelaid for us. finished within 2hrs.

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
i managed to change all my rooms RJ11 to RJ45 points.

total cost incur = less than $60 bucks

mine is cat6 cables prelaid for us. finished within 2hrs.

WOW. Nice :)

How would one know that the change is possible ? Is there any documents or testing that I need to do to confirm that I can do the same as you ?

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WOW. Nice :)

How would one know that the change is possible ? Is there any documents or testing that I need to do to confirm that I can do the same as you ?

very simple, as long as u got the electrical layout that is given to you when you open ur doors.

u can find the telephone points whether its laid with CAT6 or not. if yes, u just need to go to your MMB (MultiMedia Box) which is at your circuit breaker cabinet, u will see a LAN port and a faceplate which doesn't have anything on it.

underneath it, u will see all lan cables are terminated here. U will spent abit of time there, as there is no label tat state which room, so u need to use cable tester to determine which lan cable belongs which which rooms.

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
very simple, as long as u got the electrical layout that is given to you when you open ur doors.

u can find the telephone points whether its laid with CAT6 or not. if yes, u just need to go to your MMB (MultiMedia Box) which is at your circuit breaker cabinet, u will see a LAN port and a faceplate which doesn't have anything on it.

underneath it, u will see all lan cables are terminated here. U will spent abit of time there, as there is no label tat state which room, so u need to use cable tester to determine which lan cable belongs which which rooms.

Thanks sir.. next month receive new flat then I check carefully then.. this is how it is supposed to look like (my estate neighbour block people posted on FB because they receive keys this month).

ougGzsH.jpg

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
use a philips screwdriver and pry open the faceplate the is beside ur POT.

inside should be all ur termination of cat6 cables.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.