Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

zodiaxt

Reaction score
hi guys can i know what is a good server to use for Astrill if i wanna use Pandora Netflix etc.
I tried several times using Singapore (USA) but it keeps recognising me in Singapore instead of USA.

oric1

Reaction score
hi guys can i know what is a good server to use for Astrill if i wanna use Pandora Netflix etc.
I tried several times using Singapore (USA) but it keeps recognising me in Singapore instead of USA.

USA - West Coast

flux252

Reaction score

I think "Singapore (USA)" is a singapore vpn server optimised for users in the US...any US vpn server would work, my preferred one is portland - quite good speeds...

zodiaxt

Reaction score
oric1, flux252.

thanks for the advises. no wonder my set up all haywire and keep detecting local IP.
going to have to try suggested servers tonight.

have you all also installed the Astrill plugin for AsusMerlin by any chance?

projectpop

Reaction score
Anyone tried this vpn.sh? Seems quite a good price for so many locations (including LA, NL, SG) with 1 account and 20gb bandwidth.

flux252

Reaction score
oric1, flux252.

thanks for the advises. no wonder my set up all haywire and keep detecting local IP.
going to have to try suggested servers tonight.

have you all also installed the Astrill plugin for AsusMerlin by any chance?

i'm using the astrill app for merlin for my n66u...little configuration to be done and the speeds are much better (sg speedtest ard 10-20mbps) than using the default router vpn client (sg speedtest ard 2-8mbps) in my case...dunno why though, think maybe the astrill client better optimised...

Asakura

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys,

I am on Astrill and 200M singtel fibre plan.

How fast are your VPN speed in the speed test? I am getting only like 1000kBps?

I thought that is pretty slow...

depends on the server location you are using.

Asakura

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm using the astrill app for merlin for my n66u...little configuration to be done and the speeds are much better (sg speedtest ard 10-20mbps) than using the default router vpn client (sg speedtest ard 2-8mbps) in my case...dunno why though, think maybe the astrill client better optimised...

what server are you getting 10-20mbps

joel_winston

Master Member
Reaction score

can you share your config setting. i also using astrill for tomato router

zodiaxt

Reaction score
yup, can you share your config settings as I also have the same set up as you. thanks!
my current config is all on default with "Enable Accelerator" as No.

set to the wrong Singapore (USA) Server at the moment, which needs to be changed when I'm home.

flux252

Reaction score
most of the time, i'm using the portland server...the speed test i simply use the sg one as a gauge and never monitored explicitly...the vpn is for my rokus and so far heard no complains from my household on quality or playback issues...been using astrill for only about 3 months now so fingers crossed...

here's my config, nothing much changed from default...
whc4.jpg

anyways for your reference, just tried a sg speed test...
czd4.jpg

another one from portland...
3046760840.png

hope this helps...good luck...

flux252

Reaction score
ia encryption important?

i think it really depends on your vpn usage...for me, i couldn't be bothered as i'm only using them to access geo-locked content...never used encyption on astrill before so can't comment on how much it impacts speed...

dextertung

Reaction score
Hi there,

May i please know or get some insight in regards to if singtel fibre works well with vpns like astrill in terms of compatibility and of course the speeds given the average recent singtel fibre speeds. Also if modem/routers are bottlenecks for such configurations isp and vpns will those prev mentioned asus router comply with singtel fibre?

mny thx

clock_ED

Reaction score
Sorry to dig but as it's relevant, i think i could ask here.

Is anyone on SwitchVPN? I see their price plan is rather competitive.

surferpunk

Reaction score

mine works perfectly fine. the fastest server while recognising me in USA. :D

is there any good but decently price router for use with Astrill? I'm getting less than 10mbps for speedtest. tempted to get rid of the stupid M1 router and get something decent to up the speed. how about US servers such as Netflix or etc? any decent improvement with the astrill app for merlin?

nkshah81

Reaction score
Roku 3 vs WD TV Live - to access NetFlix

Sorry guys, if I am hijacking this thread, but I did not think this warranted a separate thread.

I have starhub 100 MBps fibre broadband...Might upgrade to 200 MBps later...

I am hunting for a solution to stream the movies I have on the HDD on my TV. I would also like to watch movies on NetFlix / Amazon Prime on my TV.

First thing I will need to do is buy a streamer...WD TV Live has support for wireless keyboard + external drive and plays lot more files than Roku 3. But Roku can have plex installed

Both of these devices wont be able to access NetFlix without changing my router settings or something that tells them they are in the US....

Call me a noob, but I guess the starhub router is pre-loaded with custom firmware so I have 2 options :
1) I will need to buy a new router and set it up with some VPN Service ...which means I will have 2 routers
2) I can tell only the streamer that its in US and no need to do it at the router level.

from what I understand....I can change the network settings on the WD TV Live to tell it was in US and hence Netflix becomes available? Not sure if we can do that in Roku 3.

Is my understanding correct --- this will be my setup

ONT --- STARHUB ROUTER --(wired)- WD TV LIVE -- AV RECEIVER

Seems like WD TV Live is a better bet?

I do not have a NAS as of now, but may get it in the future...

Which service should I use to only tell WD TV Live that its somewhere in the US...UNODns? StrongVPN? Anybody have any such setup here?

segafan

Reaction score
Sorry guys, if I am hijacking this thread, but I did not think this warranted a separate thread.

I have starhub 100 MBps fibre broadband...Might upgrade to 200 MBps later...

I am hunting for a solution to stream the movies I have on the HDD on my TV. I would also like to watch movies on NetFlix / Amazon Prime on my TV.

First thing I will need to do is buy a streamer...WD TV Live has support for wireless keyboard + external drive and plays lot more files than Roku 3. But Roku can have plex installed

Both of these devices wont be able to access NetFlix without changing my router settings or something that tells them they are in the US....

Call me a noob, but I guess the starhub router is pre-loaded with custom firmware so I have 2 options :
1) I will need to buy a new router and set it up with some VPN Service ...which means I will have 2 routers
2) I can tell only the streamer that its in US and no need to do it at the router level.

from what I understand....I can change the network settings on the WD TV Live to tell it was in US and hence Netflix becomes available? Not sure if we can do that in Roku 3.

Is my understanding correct --- this will be my setup

ONT --- STARHUB ROUTER --(wired)- WD TV LIVE -- AV RECEIVER

Seems like WD TV Live is a better bet?

I do not have a NAS as of now, but may get it in the future...

Which service should I use to only tell WD TV Live that its somewhere in the US...UNODns? StrongVPN? Anybody have any such setup here?

Your device connection flow is not an issue, in my opinion.

I would go ahead and get a credible VPN service.

Majority of the VPN providers e.g. Unotelly, PIA, should allow users to enter their private DNS servers manually using your subscribed VPN account credentials. (But please do check with the VPN service first, whether it supports manual DNS input)

Did a quick search, WD TV Live allows you to change the device network settings manually: Setting up UnoDNS on Your WD TV Live : UnoTelly Customer Service

There's a free VPN service from a Japanese university which you can try it out: VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers List
Do some trial and error, using the given private DNS and try streaming (lowest quality, perhaps?) to see if it works.

So you don't needa mess with your router settings or add new device(s). Just change the WD TV Live's config.

The real experts, please do provide your inputs.

Hope this helps.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.