Back from South island New Zealand

starbugs

Master Member
Reaction score
♥Strawberry♥;81219437 said:
Heard from colleague that hiring a driver to drive us around will be much more exp than Asian countries coz labour costs are much higher. Is that true?

Yes, you can drop that idea.

I got a quote to hire a 6-seater minivan in NZ for a 8hr itinerary (it's one way, so the driver has to go back empty).

The quote was about $1,000 :s22:

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes labour cost is high in NZ

1 whole salmon maybe ard NZD30

but after they cut nice nice become sashimi price shoot like rocket
not say they cut vali nice also

i can use fish head cook soup
meat (bone part) for bbq
rest sashimi

tink also yummy~~~~~cannot wait for march to go now

dilemma on some part of itinerary now......

year2013

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, m planning new zealand trip..we are two couples and none of us know driving !!
Details as follows, following no. of days are as follows:
2days Auckland
2days Wellington
2days Christchurch + Travel
8days Queenstown + Travel

No. of days will be sufficient???

Last edited:

limkaryong

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm going New Zealand South Island this coming Jan 2014, trying to escape from Chinese New Year...haha. Flying by Qantas, from Singapore to Melbourne, then to Queenstown.

Below is my Itinerary:

Day 1 Queenstown Airport - Queenstown City
Day 2 Queenstown - Dunedin
Day 3 Dunedin
Day 4 Dunedin - Mt Cook
Day 5 Mt Cook - Stop at Lake Tekapo for couple of hours - Christchurch
Day 6 Christchurch - Day trip to Kaikoura
Day 7 Christchurch
Day 8 Christchurch - Punakaiki
Day 9 Punakaiki - Franz Josef Glacier
Day 10 Franz Josef Glacier - Wanaka
Day 11 Wanaka - Queenstown
Day 12 Queenstown - Day trip to Milford Sound
Day 13 Queenstown
Day 14 Queenstown
Day 15 Queenstown Airport

Any places i should skip or add? Will be driving thou. Please feel free to comment and give suggestions. Thank you.

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Queenstown - Dunedin
if u got chance try the southern scenic route
rent a AWD as many are stone/muddy road

i am heading in march
for day 6 i am doing this route
chc>>>Kaikoura>>>>hokitikia>>>>fox glacier>>>>wanaka>>>>queenstown

but whichever route u take it will be nice :)

Last edited:

freedomx10

Reaction score
Leftover NZD

Just came back from nz, got leftover for nzd. Anyone wan to take over? PM me to discuss. Thanks.

guitar123

Reaction score
mar-apr book was 2-for-1 promo, works out to S$550 each.
pls do camper, in a more rugged manner.
And do update your sydney thread, though I am only other supporter.(same for mine..lol)

On the typical NZ driving road trip, how many hours a day do you spend driving?

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my last NZ free and easy few yrs back i remember seldom pay by cash
all by credit card and left oevr many nzd
this time round not gg to chg alot ,just go ANZ and press $$$ out

Last edited:

autumnal_solace

Reaction score
Hi there, just got back from NZ. We really really enjoyed ourselves :) Have some leftover NZD to let go, PM me if keen. Thanks!

Amulet

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any parents here visit NZ with kids before?

We are considering NZ with a 6yo n 1yo in sept...

czycius

Reaction score
Hi

For those who had done the Fax glacier half day hike, is it very psychically demanding?
Very concerned on the 700 steps before you reach the glacier.
TIA.

spying

Reaction score
Hi

For those who had done the Fax glacier half day hike, is it very psychically demanding?
Very concerned on the 700 steps before you reach the glacier.
TIA.

Nah unless you have problems even walking up a flight of stairs. I went when it was raining a little and was more concerned with the cold even though we were given rain coats.

socrates

Reaction score
I think for fox glacier you need to have reasonable fitness. Went with 3 friends and 1 had to turn back because she found it tough. Yet it is a great experience!

orange1988

Reaction score
Hi peeps, just wondering if im travelling to new zealand south island for 2.5 weeks for leisure, do I need to apply for any visa? Thanks!

veryred

Reaction score
Plan to go South Island first week of dec . Any flight promo that I should look out for??

There is no direct flight from SG to south island. So it might be cheaper if you book two separate airlines, although more hassle because not direct transfer but if you really want to save the money then yea. You can either fly sg- syd - chc or sg - auckland -chc.
for the first route if you don't mind u can always fly budget from sg to syd and then airnz is now having sale from syd to chc. (they are always having sale just check it periodically)

For second route, the cheapest option now to fly to auckland is MAS since jetstar no longer operate that route. Flying domestic from akl to chc is cheap. You can check out grabaseat deal by airnz.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is no direct flight from SG to south island. So it might be cheaper if you book two separate airlines, although more hassle because not direct transfer but if you really want to save the money then yea. You can either fly sg- syd - chc or sg - auckland -chc.
for the first route if you don't mind u can always fly budget from sg to syd and then airnz is now having sale from syd to chc. (they are always having sale just check it periodically)

For second route, the cheapest option now to fly to auckland is MAS since jetstar no longer operate that route. Flying domestic from akl to chc is cheap. You can check out grabaseat deal by airnz.

BA & QA don't fly direct to Christchurch anymore?

Remember way back on that NZ trip which was our first long haul, watching the screen to see where the plane was, and hoping we'd be landing soon. :s22:

Last edited:

gasband

Reaction score

SQ has always flown direct to Christchurch, they stopped? Being a few years since I took that to Christchurch. Even Qantas stopped too?

veryred

Reaction score
BA & QA don't fly direct to Christchurch anymore?

Remember way back on that NZ trip which was our first long haul, watching the screen to see where the plane was, and hoping we'd be landing soon. :s22:

SQ has always flown direct to Christchurch, they stopped? Being a few years since I took that to Christchurch. Even Qantas stopped too?

whoops i have to take back my words. SQ still have direct flight to chc. buts its like 2kish ?
Both BA & Qantas now stop over at syd. no direct flights

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.