Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Cant see very clearly from photos, but does anyone know if the unit has digital coaxial audio output?

TQ

I dun think so.

MJZxx6j.jpg

Coolsun9

Reaction score
Tips to buy DVB-T2 set top box

There are two variants of made in China set top box in the market:

1) uses CPU MSD7816. In this model, there are two different kind of demodulator chips :MSB1230 and MSB1236. Older box comes with MSB1230 and does not support DVB-T2 v1.3.1. Newer box comes with MSB1236 and supports v1.3.1.

Sometimes, the seller refers the older model as T2600 and the newer model (with MSB1236) as T2660. Please note that newer box and older box use an identical casing and have an identical model name such as T2-8902, T2-8807 etc. Please look at their demodulator chip when you want to buy the box.

2) uses CPU Ali M3812. This is newer model and demodulator is integrated into the CPU. This model supports the DVB-T2 v1.3.1
Thanks for your valuable advice. What about android based XBMC box like this one?

DVB T2 Smart Andorid 4.2 Google TV Box with Remote ARM 8726MX 1080P Terrestrial Digital TV Receiver HDMI USB WIFI 3D DVB T2-in Satellite TV Receiver from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

The chipset is AML8726-MX or they work differently from TV box?

Windowlover

Reaction score
Just went AMK Hub looking for Margon 2.0 , ask salesman for booster for this unit, told that it is just antenna, from thread some member said need booster ??:s22::s22: Drop the ideas, can someone help.

I saw there is stock for Margon 2.0 and 5.1 and EU1702. Actual which model is better ?

leongws

Master Member
Reaction score
Just went AMK Hub looking for Margon 2.0 , ask salesman for booster for this unit, told that it is just antenna, from thread some member said need booster ??:s22::s22: Drop the ideas, can someone help.

I saw there is stock for Margon 2.0 and 5.1 and EU1702. Actual which model is better ?

The booster is included in the box. It is actually an adapter that have a output that allows it to be powered by usb ports(through TV/Draco STB etc).

I only tested the Margon 2.0, no idea of the other 2. But at the price of $39 and the ability to receive digital channels
(for my case), I cannot complain much liao. It is compact and doesn't look like an antenna at first glance.

somewhat

Reaction score
Cant see very clearly from photos, but does anyone know if the unit has digital coaxial audio output?

TQ

can try this model

Aliexpress.com : Buy Support multiple PLP hot sale DVB T2 terrestrial digital receiver H.264/MPEG4,Compatible with DVB T DVB T2 002 with RUSSIA OSD from Reliable dvb-t receiver suppliers on SinHo Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

pls contact the seller to state that you need the set with demodulator chip msb1236. There is a singapore buyer in the feedback section. He mentioned that It works in Singapore.

pjs

Reaction score
can try this model

Aliexpress.com : Buy Support multiple PLP hot sale DVB T2 terrestrial digital receiver H.264/MPEG4,Compatible with DVB T DVB T2 002 with RUSSIA OSD from Reliable dvb-t receiver suppliers on SinHo Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

pls contact the seller to state that you need the set with demodulator chip msb1236. There is a singapore buyer in the feedback section. He mentioned that It works in Singapore.

Thanks for the tip.
Have seen on aliexpress many such models with MSD7816 chipset but they don't state the demodulator chip used.

PoloBoiBoi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
aiya ... demod chipset is such a detailed technical information ... unless you ask them to open up and see ... or else wont be stated one :(

spectra1701

Reaction score
Guys
Thanks for the headsup. As you rightfully pointed out, the reason why I did not receive CNA and Channel U was due to Mediacorp not broadcasting it. I just tested it and it loads fine now. After scanning and detecting all the channels, you need to off and on again before you can see the video input.

Also, the Margon 2.0 and 5.0 can be purchased at NTUC AMK Hub. You need to ask them to check because not all the staff are aware of it. Its located in a locked glass cabinet against a pillar. You can see it.

Thanks again for those who offered helpful advice :)

pjs

Reaction score
Tips to buy DVB-T2 set top box

There are two variants of made in China set top box in the market:

1) uses CPU MSD7816. In this model, there are two different kind of demodulator chips :MSB1230 and MSB1236. Older box comes with MSB1230 and does not support DVB-T2 v1.3.1. Newer box comes with MSB1236 and supports v1.3.1.

Sometimes, the seller refers the older model as T2600 and the newer model (with MSB1236) as T2660. Please note that newer box and older box use an identical casing and have an identical model name such as T2-8902, T2-8807 etc. Please look at their demodulator chip when you want to buy the box.

"2014 New Arrival DVB-T2 for Singapore ":
2014 New Arrival DVB-T2 for Singapore, View dvb-t2, OEM Product Details from Shenzhen Junuo Electronics Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com
Scroll dwn to details:"8.Mstar 7816 and MSB1230 chipset solution Fully compliant with DVB-T2 standard"

Has demodulator chip MSB1230 and not 1236? So not version 1.3.1?

somewhat

Reaction score
"2014 New Arrival DVB-T2 for Singapore ":
2014 New Arrival DVB-T2 for Singapore, View dvb-t2, OEM Product Details from Shenzhen Junuo Electronics Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com
Scroll dwn to details:"8.Mstar 7816 and MSB1230 chipset solution Fully compliant with DVB-T2 standard"

Has demodulator chip MSB1230 and not 1236? So not version 1.3.1?

MSB1230 won't support v1.3.1. But you should contact the seller to ask about the demodulator chip. Sometimes, they just copied and pasted all the specs from other similar product.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
MSB1230 won't support v1.3.1. But you should contact the seller to ask about the demodulator chip. Sometimes, they just copied and pasted all the specs from other similar product.
Ya, over-trusting by unsuspecting customers often end up in disappointment.

This was what I have posted some time back. Through passage of time, availability of real DVB-T2 receiver may have improved.

Quote from my post #700 in the closed thread http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...discussion-thread-[consolidated]-3614256.html
I have studied intensively the usb and set top box for dvb-t2 on sale in both ebay and aliexpress. I have yet to come across one product that claims v1.3.1 compliance.

One promising (cheap) product which I found

2013 New model best selling in Russia TV Tuner DVB T2 set top box Receiver mini hd dvb t2 Ukraine receiver decoder fast shipping-in Set-top Boxes from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

stated that it supports Russian dvb t2. However, there is no mention of multiple PLP support which other competing products have and claim to be important for Russia. I emailed to the seller which is also the manufacturer of the stb (Orion+) to enquire. The seller asked me to explain what was multiple PLP Imagine an manufacturer of dvb products not knowing the terms used in dvb!

Examples of some other interest facts I found:

• Many specs from different sellers are plainly copy and paste work as obvious mistakes repeat themselves.
  • Pic of products do not tally with specs.
  • Pics of product do not telly among the pics, for example in one picture it shows scart socket while another pic does not have scart sorket.
  • For the Oriole+ stb, in Aliexpress it shows 2000 channels storing capacity while in Alibaba it shows 4000 channels.

So much for the reliability of information from these sellers.

No point trying your luck.
Even seemingly trusted websites may posted wrong specs. For example:
On Philips web site (Philips 8000 series 55PFL8008S/12 - Ultra Slim Smart LED TV), the specs for Series 8000 tv shows:

Tuner/Reception/Transmission

Digital TV: Astra HD+ support, Freeview HD*, DVB-T/T2/C/S/S2

However, Philips tv sets are not found in the MDA lists
http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/DigitalTV/Pages/DVBT2StereoReceiver.aspx
http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/DigitalTV/Pages/DVBT2SSRReceiver.aspx

I queried Philips and got a reply as shown below:
Philips_Reply.jpg

Conclusion?
  • Not all T2 tv set can support local broadcast
  • Verify information from web, even those from seemingly reliable sources

euko82

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Heard from courts salesman only lg and sony tv got dvb-t2...

Is that true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.