[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fribro

Reaction score
hmmmmm, i am trying to stream videos thru my PS3. some mkv file can play while some mkv file say file not supported. any idea how to solve this. using DS412+. able to install codec to solve this problem?
Your nas can do transcode.

engshing

Master Member
Reaction score
how do i let ds412+ do transcoding of the mkv file??
currently, from wat i understand, it will remux some mkv file but if the video codec used is not recognised by ps3, the file will not be able to play. i am using the media server dl from the package center. shld i just use plex instead? or is there any other package out there which can be used to transcode mkv file

on another note, i have portforward all the ports and while i can remote access from my iphone using 3g, i can't seem to be able to access it remotely from my office network. any way to solve this?
i realise my problem is similar to the problem from this synology forum thread
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=69711
guess might just be my office blocking the port

Last edited:

radiancez567

Reaction score
Currently using DS213j with only 1x3TB WD Red.

Thinking of getting another 1x3TB WD Red, and then do RAID 1 (each disk is a mirror of each other).

Would like to seek some direction on how to do the RAID. Appreciate your help in advance.

put the new disk in, go to storage manager, under volume 1, click manage, expand by adding hard disk, next all the way and there you go :o

just use SHR, next time you can swap to higher capacity drives without problems

either SHR or normal Raid, both work as what you needed.
SHR more likely is a hybrid raid works for different size of disk with 1 or 2 disk redundant, if your are starting to build a raid with a same size disk, just go for a normal type of Raid :D

quoting for easy reference. thanks very much :D would probably get the 3tb soon.

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I get some help configuring synology NAS with asus RT-56U?

I'm on Myrepublic.

I cannot figure it out at all. I want to access my NAS from the internet. Tried running the ez-internet wizard on the NAS but I still cannot access from the internet, only directly via the diskstation:5000 address.

After running the ezinternet wizard and registering a domain name on synology's site, I still cannot access the NAS; I get a timeout when I go to 'mynas.synology.me'. I also tried accessing the numerical IP the wizard gave me but I get no response at all.

when I view the NAS status on the MyDS website, it returns a green status, and says the update time was 1 second ago. That would imply the NAS is reachable, but I can't reach it from my PC.

Last edited:

danxiaogui86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I get some help configuring synology NAS with asus RT-56U?

I'm on Myrepublic.

I cannot figure it out at all. I want to access my NAS from the internet. Tried running the ez-internet wizard on the NAS but I still cannot access from the internet, only directly via the diskstation:5000 address.

After running the ezinternet wizard and registering a domain name on synology's site, I still cannot access the NAS; I get a timeout when I go to 'mynas.synology.me'. I also tried accessing the numerical IP the wizard gave me but I get no response at all.

when I view the NAS status on the MyDS website, it returns a green status, and says the update time was 1 second ago. That would imply the NAS is reachable, but I can't reach it from my PC.

number 1, you are on myrepublic
number 2, you need static ip as myrepublic is on private dynamic ip.

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is there a step-by-step guide for myrepublic users on exactly what needs to be done? I'm not a techie.

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Current 8bays left 2TB, which should I get?
DS1513+ 5Bay NAS or DX-513 5 Bay Expansion?

If get another NAS, how to configure Port Forward?

hellhole

Reaction score
hey... i been using the synology nas for a while and love it...

i been thinking of buying a apple tv to stream my content...but what i have read so far is that it needs to connect to the itunes on my computer to do that... is it possible not to go through itunes?

plus..can apple tv play mkv?

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hey... i been using the synology nas for a while and love it...

i been thinking of buying a apple tv to stream my content...but what i have read so far is that it needs to connect to the itunes on my computer to do that... is it possible not to go through itunes?

plus..can apple tv play mkv?
I don't own an Apple TV. My Smart TV plays direct off the NAS. :)

Think you're better off getting a Smart TV box perhaps.

/Dan

couscous.falafel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all

just to check, does anyone use DS File on iOS and Android? I found that on iOS I can scroll thru pictures in my folders by swiping left and right, or by using the scroll buttons, but on Android the app does not have this function.

Damn tu lan!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.