Buffetlicious! The All You Can Eat Buffet thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nichi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To Die for Wagyu BBQ Buffet Lunch @ Tenkaichi

Date: Sun 16 Feb
Location: Tenkaichi @ 371 Beach Road, Keypoint #01-18/19, Singapore 199597 (opp concourse)
Time: 11am
Price: S$54.90+ (no gst n add another $0.30 [towel] n $5 for free flow drinks plus ice cream [optional but recommended], so 66.30 nett.)

:love:Yummilicious Wagyu rosu steak :love:
Thanks for the pic, Dennyz!

Click for Menu
With additional 4 items for Feb ...
Wagyu Rosu, Wagyu Sashimi, Wagyu Yukke, Wagyu Tataki plus each table will have 1 portion of 'GIANT SCALLOP'

Participants:
1. Toons
2. Dennyz

saw a few weeks back that they have some deal coupons incase you all are interested

http://www.groupon.sg/deals/singapore/tenkaichi-restaurant/717976502

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone has any hotel buffet recommendation tat are also children friendly? Intend to celebrate our anniversary with our 2 young children.

Errr, wat do you mean by children friendly? If its just children seats then prolly all will have :s13: Dun think got any hotel buffet which bans kids. Although they dun have facilities geared to kids, they're mostly pretty okay towards kids. Just tell them you bring 2 kids, ask them for a bigger table or with more room for strollers n maybe a more quiet corner n you're set lor. If you need some special dietary considerations? Hot water for milk etc all no prob one. Also, those more budget buffets with 1 for 1 promos tend to be quite crowded, so your kids might not like it n hard for them to run around etc.

Unlike other places like BKK, which has Sunday Brunches with a special playroom for kids, clowns to entertain them and/or a special section in the buffet with kiddy food, sadly SG still lags behind in tat area.

Qingrong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Errr, wat do you mean by children friendly? If its just children seats then prolly all will have :s13: Dun think got any hotel buffet which bans kids. Although they dun have facilities geared to kids, they're mostly pretty okay towards kids. Just tell them you bring 2 kids, ask them for a bigger table or with more room for strollers n maybe a more quiet corner n you're set lor. If you need some special dietary considerations? Hot water for milk etc all no prob one. Also, those more budget buffets with 1 for 1 promos tend to be quite crowded, so your kids might not like it n hard for them to run around etc.

Unlike other places like BKK, which has Sunday Brunches with a special playroom for kids, clowns to entertain them and/or a special section in the buffet with kiddy food, sadly SG still lags behind in tat area.

orchard cafe sunday brunch does have someone to entertain the kids. once was a magician, once was a young lady doing art and crafts, face painting.

blurrz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Ya. Looking for some comfy places. Went kushinbo and the spaces were small. My children have to stay seated on the baby chair. They are quite small so yhey dun run around but was hoping there might be some playrooms or activities for them to enjoy.

striker22

Reaction score

I don't think any parents should encourage their kids to run around in ANY restaurants unless there is a designated play area, if not for being a public nuisance, at least for their own safety. Broken plates, hot soup, sharp cutlery are all hidden dangers, if any parents think otherwise, then I can only say they deserve it.

Every buffet I go to I will see at least one or two clowns. They are more of an annoyance than a source of entertainment.

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya. Looking for some comfy places. Went kushinbo and the spaces were small. My children have to stay seated on the baby chair. They are quite small so yhey dun run around but was hoping there might be some playrooms or activities for them to enjoy.

Playrooms ... can't tink of any.

Activities ... only for certain days like Easter where they have special activities for kids. Otherwise for normal dinners or even brunches, can't tink of any ... maybe can try Orchard Cafe like Qingrong suggested.

Big space is easy. Most of the mid n up range hotel buffets all quite spacious, but the bigger, more spacious n relaxed ambiance ones are Edge at Pan Pac Marina, Silver Shell cafe at Shangri la Sentosa, Rose Veranda @ Shangri la Orchard n Basilico @ Regent. Spice Brasserie at Park Royal Kitchener also spacious, but the spread is only okay nia, though still worth it for the price (lunch).

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think any parents should encourage their kids to run around in ANY restaurants unless there is a designated play area, if not for being a public nuisance, at least for their own safety. Broken plates, hot soup, sharp cutlery are all hidden dangers, if any parents think otherwise, then I can only say they deserve it.

Every buffet I go to I will see at least one or two clowns. They are more of an annoyance than a source of entertainment.

If the place is big enough, there are literally empty sections where the kiddos can run around a bit. Its quite fun to see parents playing around with their kids.

Of cos if the place not big enough, then its hazardous like you said. Can easily bump into someone with hot soups etc.

Huh? You referring to real clowns or idiot diners? If its the former, where got so many clowns hanging around in buffets?

If its the latter, then i certainly seen my share of them. There is this once, at Marriott cafe, someone actually started taking the lobsters off my plate which i was holding on while i was taking some other food :eek: Then there are jokers who handle those loafs of bread with their bare hands while slicing a piece off (tats why i never eat the crust of breads in buffets anymore), clowns who take the tongs from the chilled raw seafood area n then walk around using the tongs like their personal tongs to take all the other food, clowns who dropped the tongs, then pick them up n just place them back ...

Btw, Striker, you can't make it for the wagyu buffet this Sun? Dennyz said its not crowded at all (only 2 tables occupied when they went last Sun). Meat is also very very good.

Last edited:

striker22

Reaction score
Sorry, I can't join you this Sun. Have fun and let the cows die honorably i.e. eat all the different parts and dun waste.

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wagyu Beef BBQ Buffet at Tenkaichi Japanese BBQ & Shabu Shabu Restaurant

From atop her ivory tower built from the war trophies of 40+ dead oyster shells, the Evil Bunny Queen having annihilated Oyster-land in just one sitting, is scheming to exterminate the Wagyu bloodline of Moo Moo land. Lead by her trusted general who is known as the Sleeping Beauty (though he is in nowhere resembled a beauty at all!), the 4 of us settled for a weekend lunch of Wagyu Beef BBQ Buffet at Tenkaichi Japanese BBQ & Shabu Shabu Restaurant.

0001-Tenkaichi.jpg

Tenkaichi Japanese BBQ & Shabu Shabu Restaurant
371 Beach Road
Keypoint #01-18/19
Singapore 199597
Tel: 6293 4498

0002-Tenkaichi.jpg

For the month of February 2014, the restaurant will have a special treat for their Facebook fans. The signature Wagyu Beef BBQ Buffet will have 4 more Wagyu Beef items on top of Wagyu Karubi and Wagyu Nakaochi without extra charge.

• Wagyu Sashimi
  • Wagyu Yukke
  • Wagyu Tataki
  • Wagyu Rosu

0003-Tenkaichi.jpg

Daily Lunch
S$54.90+ (Adult) and S$26.90+ (Child)
11.30am – 2.30pm

Dinner
Mon – Thu at S$54.90+ (Adult) and S$26.90+ (Child)
Fri - Sun, Eve & Public Holiday at S$59.90+ (Adult) and S$29.90+ (Child)
6pm – 10.30pm

0004-Tenkaichi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Dining Area has basically two sections, one for BBQ and another for Shabu Shabu. We were the first group to enter and throughout our lunch, only a few other tables were occupied. Behind the noren (暖簾) were private rooms if you have a big enough group to warrant the use of it.

0005-Tenkaichi.jpg

0006-Tenkaichi.jpg

0007-Tenkaichi.jpg

We headed over to the Sauce Counter at the Shabu Shabu section to choose the condiments for the BBQ though there wasn't really a need for it. I will tell you why later on. Various fresh vegetables were also available but we were here to wage a war with the fatty cows so no one bothered with the greens.

0008-Tenkaichi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hot Food, Sushi and Fruit Station - We practically did not touch the food here except for the Chawanmushi which was a tad salty though the egg custard was silky smooth. The other two hot food were Fried Rice and Samosa.

0009-Tenkaichi.jpg

0010-Tenkaichi.jpg

0011-Tenkaichi.jpg

0012-Tenkaichi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wet tissue is chargeable at S$0.30+ each. Love the design of the plate.

0013-Tenkaichi.jpg

While the Grill is heat up...

0014-Tenkaichi.jpg

Assorted Sashimi comprising of Butter Fish, Salmon and Sea Bream which were fresh. Later, we ordered the sashimi grade butter fish for grilling, the light searing ups the flavour of this oily fish another notch.

0015-Tenkaichi.jpg

This was the Wagyu version of the Gyu Tataki (Lightly Grilled Beef). Texture was a little chewy but totally beefy goodness.

0016-Tenkaichi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yukke Sashi (Marinated Raw Beef) - If you took this blindfolded, you will never know that you are eating raw beef. The sweetish marinate and the egg yolk did wonders for this dish. Do note, what we had was the wagyu version which is only available for the month of February.

0017-Tenkaichi.jpg

Doesn't the fats marbling look gorgeous on this Gyu Sashi (Thinly Sliced Raw Beef)? Put a piece into the mouth and slowly chew to release the fats and flavour of this beef sashimi.

0018-Tenkaichi.jpg

If you like them on Facebook, you get this complimentary plate of Raw Scallops. Make sure not to over cooked it to best enjoy the succulent juicy shellfish.

0019-Tenkaichi.jpg

0020-Tenkaichi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Wagyu Karubi (Beef Belly Tender) had the most fats but they were not finely marbled. The lightly grilled meat was bursting with juice/fats. On the other hand, the Wagyu Nakaochi Karubi (Beef Rib Finger) required a longer cooking time and offered a chewier and meatier texture/taste.

0021-Tenkaichi.jpg

We only ordered a serving of Ebi (Prawns), not that it wasn't good, in fact it was very fresh. Only me and bunny enjoyed this but I don't want to get my hands dirty peeling the shell since I was still taking photos of the food.

0022-Tenkaichi.jpg

The thinly sliced Tan (Ox Tongue) had a rather firm chewy texture but not much of a beef taste.

0023-Tenkaichi.jpg

The rest of my dining companions weren't keen on the Buta Karubi, Rosu and Kata Rosu (Pork Belly, Loin and Collar) so we had just one serving too. I particularly enjoyed the pork belly & collar and appreciated that the meat were fresh with no porky smell. However, the sweet marinate they used masked the real taste of the meat and that including the other beef dishes, so for the subsequent orders, we asked for no marinate to be added.

0024-Tenkaichi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wagyu Karubi (Beef Belly Tender) was good but the next item was even better.

0025-Tenkaichi.jpg

For this month only, they are giving you Wagyu Rosu (Tri Tip) instead of the normal rosu at no extra cost. This steak's tenderness and high amount of intramuscular fat, giving the meat a marbled appearance is best eaten rare or medium rare to prevent the fats melting away on the grill. As you slowly chewed on the meat, the flavour, juice and fats oozing out and mingled in the cavity of your mouth. Sedap!

0026-Tenkaichi.jpg

I half expected the Honetsuki Karubi (Bone in Short Rib) to be tough on the teeth based on what we had before at The Ramen Stall but to our surprise it was pretty tender maybe due to the fats marbling.

0027-Tenkaichi.jpg

Here, the Ox Tongue and Wagyu Karubi were sizzling On the Grill.

0028-Tenkaichi.jpg

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On the Grill - No oil or butter were provided but then with such fatty cuts of meats, they were not needed at all. We requested a couple of times to change the grill plate when the surface became coated with a layer of charred food and other stuffs. Also there was no need for the condiments we got earlier on as the meats were yummy on its own.

0029-Tenkaichi.jpg

0030-Tenkaichi.jpg

0031-Tenkaichi.jpg

0032-Tenkaichi.jpg

Last edited:

twtan14

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After battling countless plates of meats, the majority being the Wagyu Rosu, our Evil Bunny Queen finally raised the white flag and surrendered. She murmured something about being too greasy or was it that guilty feeling of having murdered so many cows? :D

Next, she turned her target onto the Ice Cream which came in flavours of Mango, Chocolate, Tiramisu Green Tea, Yam and Black Sesame. I don't like the ice cream here but bunny seem to enjoy every scoops of it. The iced white coffee drink was a refreshing treat to wash away the greasiness.

0033-Tenkaichi.jpg

0034-Tenkaichi.jpg

The Bill worked out to S$66.30 nett per person as we opted for the S$5 free flow drinks plus ice cream.

0035-Tenkaichi.jpg

Overall, we enjoyed the food and companies plus the wait staffs were attentive and they promptly changed out the grill plates when we requested. The restaurant though a little dimly lit, was pretty well cooled so one doesn't get hot around the collar during the BBQ. I am tempted to go back again due to the wagyu promotion but I need to recover from that cold first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.