How to be more defensive when driving

Arsene_Wenger

Suspended
Reaction score
Thought of starting this thread to consolidate all tips on how to be more defensive when driving on road so i will start the ball rolling.

1 ) When filtering from small road into big road, don't forget to keep your eye on car in front of you instead of cars along big road. Chances that you will hit rear of the car in front of you are high.

2 ) Always keep a distance away from big vehicle or any car in front of you. In short, don't tailgate.

3 ) Always hit your left or right signal early even if no one is giving way to you.

4 ) Only drive on 1st lane if you want to overtake on expressway, at least for me.

5 ) Always filter to most left lane early if you are turning left likewise if you are turning right. Don't do last minute filtering as car behind you might not have time to react ( if never keep a distance away )

6 ) When approaching traffic light junction, always look at the side of traffic light man far ahead, if it is already red, be prepare that traffic light ahead of you is turning amber or soon to red. This is to prevent you from speeding red light as well as jamming break in the middle of junction.

7 ) Always switch on your hazard light if you need to stop by road side especially at night.

8 ) Dont use your phone while driving. Concentrate on the road.

9 ) Open your eye when approaching zebra crossing, put your right feet on your brake padel. Be prepared to brake as i know many cyclists like to dash across it out of sudden though you are pretty sure there are none 5 secs ago.

10) Watch out for kuku drivers and keep a distance from them

11) When in slip road going to filter out to the main road (2 lane road), also look out for vehicles u-turning.

12 ) In MSCP, its better to turn on the headlights so that other car will anticipate there's incoming traffic~ esp. when u heading up the slope while another heading down the slope, both can't see each other but the light beam to the wall will allow the other driver to "see" u early and on your high beam if need to.

Often still seen many chiong down-slope and do not bother to 'give-way' to cars coming up when there is a STOP-line there.

13 ) When exiting the carpark turning left, most drivers will just look at their right until the traffic is clear~ when its cleared, take a look on the left to see if any pedestrian crossing over~

14 ) You left out using proper signal in a round-about and courtesy of signalling in merging lane when on left lane

15 ) My simple rule for defensive driving, always assume other motorists can't see you and will chut stunts, and your right of way means nothing just give way no ego issues.

Always assume people will do stupid things

16 ) Check blindspot .A lot of motorists especially motorcycle like to speed up when you indicate you are changing lane so must check blindspot to look out for and give way to them.

17 ) My advice is to check the mirrors at every 5-10 sec intervals and to be aware of the surroundings. One good thing to use is the enlarged mirrors which can be bought at hypermarts. Objects may appear smaller but it's rly a good thing to have.

18 ) Turn on headlights during poor weather or visibility.. it is not whether u can see others, it is whether others can see u..

19 ) Try not to go side by side with another vehicle, be it while turning or going straight because some people just look at the front and will encroach into your lane or simply switch lanes without checking blindspot. You can't really do much if the vehicle beside you do anything funny, especially if you have no space on the other side to avoid.

20 ) Make a habit to check ur side/rear mirrors every now and then even tho u are going straight. Juz move ur eyeball only. By doing this, u can know ur surrounding better.
And also, always think that there might be a motorbike at the blind spot beside ur car

This will make u turn ur head to check blind spot before u change lane
Those drivers with riding experience will understand this.

Sometimes this tactic is used in coffee shops or crowded areas ..

21 ) Stay calm at all times. No panic...No Emo. ( even when got horn? )

22 ) For serangoon road and little india:
Drive extra careful, avoid speeding, open your eyes big big, stick to your lane (middle lane), always prepare your right foot on brakes.

And your right of way may not be your way... they just dun care.

23 ) when facing a serial braker, better to overtake him.

some drivers are just plain kuku, braking for no reason when there is nothing in front of them.

24 ) Right turn i will always wait till on coming vehicle stop before moving off. Some will chiong amber light.

If i approaching bus stops, i will slow down in case people cross in front of the bus. One example will be jurong west ave 5 near gekpoh shopping center. Quite dangerous, bus stop on curve road.

I will slow down before negotiating a bend, during the bend i will maintain my speed and dont do unnecessary braking. Got once i brake quite hard in a bend, almost loose control.

Slow down when approaching a curve or approaching top of a hill, got once in msia got car break down after the "top part" of a slope. Lucky never drive fast.

Keep a longer following distance if im tired. If i keep a longer distance, i can not only see the car in front of me, but a few cars ahead. This will allow me to brake when i see a few cars ahead brake.

Dont keep too close to empty trailers, once in msia trailer jam break in rainy day, empty trailer skid and slide out of lane.

25 ) When doing right turn at traffic light junction , I always either wait for the green arrow or wait until the opposite lane has no vehicle cause sometimes pedestrians and cyclist will dash across the road in the last min. If you are turning halfway and opposite lane got car then you gg liao.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I will update when i can think of more. Lastly do smile at other drivers if they give way to you. Lets make our roads better and safer.:)

Last edited:

tk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My tip.. :D

Watch out for kuku drivers and keep a distance from them

gamma7sg

Master Member
Reaction score
when in slip road going to filter out to the main road (2 lane road), also look out for vehicles u-turning....

sunsetbay

Reaction score
► in MSCP, its better to turn on the headlights so that other car will anticipate there's incoming traffic~ esp. when u heading up the slope while another heading down the slope, both can't see each other but the light beam to the wall will allow the other driver to "see" u early~

► when exiting the carpark turning left, most drivers will just look at their right until the traffic is clear~ when its cleared, take a look on the left to see if any pedestrian crossing over~

witness before, when the driver waited few min to make a turn, the pedestrian see the car stationary for awhile & decided to cross over~ happen both move at the same time & rub each other~ i also kena similar situation but it was a bicycle~

:s22:

something

Master Member
Reaction score
for me, my rule is: if i fast, them u slow to give way. if u fast, then i slow to give way...

Arsene_Wenger

Suspended
Reaction score
for me, my rule is: if i fast, them u slow to give way. if u fast, then i slow to give way...

This is not defensive then. If u r fast, ok, but how does the other driver know he need to slow for you?

He will probably whacked his engine to be faster than you..

huffie

Reaction score
you left out using proper signal in a round-about and courtesy of signalling in merging lane when on left lane

Dragon

Administrator
Reaction score
My simple rule for defensive driving, always assume other motorists can't see you and will chut stunts, and your right of way means nothing just give way no ego issues. :)

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
Check blindspot .A lot of motorists especially motorcycle like to speed up when you indicate you are changing lane so must check blindspot to look out for these mother fuggers and give way to them .

These idiots ride 1 fugging $2k Honda wave bike act like damn satki so I just give way to these idiots as I pity on them .

Tyrian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check blindspot .A lot of motorists especially motorcycle like to speed up when you indicate you are changing lane so must check blindspot to look out for these mother fuggers and give way to them .

These idiots ride 1 fugging $2k Honda wave bike act like damn satki so I just give way to these idiots as I pity on them .

Well, thank you for giving way. :)

I also pity your mentally. Have a nice day.

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
Well, thank you for giving way. :)

I also pity your mentally. Have a nice day.

You are welcome . I also keep a safe distance from motorcycles as many of them are very reckless. I am not bluffing. I have seen a motorbike kena langga by bus at the bus stop cause the cyclist wanted to overtake a bus which was turning into the bus stop .I don't know she stupid or what but all the pedestrians stood down there and eyepower at the stupidity.

Tyrian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are welcome . I also keep a safe distance from motorcycles as many of them are very reckless. I am not bluffing. I have seen a motorbike kena langga by bus at the bus stop cause the cyclist wanted to overtake a bus which was turning into the bus stop .I don't know she stupid or what but all the pedestrians stood down there and eyepower at the stupidity.

Well, let's not go off topic here.

My advice is to check the mirrors at every 5-10 sec intervals and to be aware of the surroundings. One good thing to use is the enlarged mirrors which can be bought at hypermarts. Objects may appear smaller but it's rly a good thing to have.

I've been using it since day 1 when I started driving. :) I hope others will use it too

Arsene_Wenger

Suspended
Reaction score
Thank you all for the tips. Updated. Let make our roads better and safer to ride and drive.

TGIF!!

Arsene_Wenger

Suspended
Reaction score
Well, let's not go off topic here.

My advice is to check the mirrors at every 5-10 sec intervals and to be aware of the surroundings. One good thing to use is the enlarged mirrors which can be bought at hypermarts. Objects may appear smaller but it's rly a good thing to have.

I've been using it since day 1 when I started driving. :) I hope others will use it too

Not sure if i have heard correctly, i was told before the enlarged mirror will make objects look smaller when you look at it and affect your judgement on actual distance against mirror distance of your car to object which means you are actually closer to it.:s11:

Arsene_Wenger

Suspended
Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong.

In MSCP, cars coming down are supposed to give way to cars coming up as their blind spot is blocked by pillars or suppose to be the other way round?

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong.

In MSCP, cars coming down are supposed to give way to cars coming up as their blind spot is blocked by pillars or suppose to be the other way round?

It was discussed:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/cars-cars-204/hdb-multi-storey-carpark-entering-up-slope-exiting-down-slope-4475979.html

AL5509

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It was discussed:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/cars-cars-204/hdb-multi-storey-carpark-entering-up-slope-exiting-down-slope-4475979.html

Likewise, do not know if many know about this a not?
Often still seen many chiong down-slope and do not bother to 'give-way' when there is a STOP-line there.

So just drive with caution and switch on the head-lights when heading upslope.

laiwh

Reaction score
for me, i try not to go side by side with another vehicle, be it while turning or going straight because some people just look at the front and will encroach into your lane or simply switch lanes without checking blindspot. You can't really do much if the vehicle beside you do anything funny, especially if you have no space on the other side to avoid.
Always assume people will do stupid things -- this is what i was taught in SAF driving school that keeps grinding defensive driving into our head, probably the only useful thing i picked up during my 2.5 yrs stint.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.