How to be more defensive when driving

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many times in jam when I wanna switch lane, cannot see if there are bikes weaving between traffic... A bit dangerous... Any solution to this?

buy additional mirrors for such situation.

alternatively, move slowly to the dotted lines first. then slowly move to other lane when there's chance. you may have to travel on the line for a long period of time as people don't give way in such circumstances.

looking at a possible chance of gap before you filter might help.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Checking blindspot is very important especially when changing lane .I almost kena one car as the car was switching from lane 3 to 2 while I was switching from lane 1 to 2 on the expressway. Luckily ,I turned my head to check blindspot and saw the car turning into lane 2 . The car was behind me and should have seen my signal but he still changed lane like a king . somemore he cut across from lane 3 to 1 .

that's why i always filter in v slowly. when my car is 1/4 in the lane, i check blindspot again to see.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check blindspot .A lot of motorists especially motorcycle like to speed up when you indicate you are changing lane so must check blindspot to look out for these mother fuggers and give way to them .

These idiots ride 1 fugging $2k Honda wave bike act like damn satki so I just give way to these idiots as I pity on them .

what is worse is, they will horn you even though you are in front of them one lo. they don't give way one.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well, thank you for giving way. :)

I also pity your mentally. Have a nice day.

can you pls don't be stupid.

motorcyclist wanna bang car is a joke. they should know how vunerable they are and can instantly be wiped out.

just like cars do not bang cement trucks or huge lorries.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my defensive driving tip

when facing a serial braker, better to overtake him.

some drivers are just plain kuku, braking for no reason when there is nothing in front of them.

another tip: cover the blank files

some cars just love leaving large gaps in front of them for no reason. i overtake them and fill in the blanks.

ungtiong

Reaction score
to keep it simple, just follow 2 rules

1) ALWAYS signal...even if you are cutting in, signaling will warn the car behind to get ready (even if he chiong to cut you off, he is also ready to brake if you dont stop)

2) dont jamp brake. If you dont jam brake, some1 can tail gate you from SG to KL with no accidents, but if u jam brake, even 3 car lenght no use cause some drivers a bit slow top react or at that moment is not paying 100% attention.

ZhuTou!

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Empty expressway also need, you never know there may be fast cars coming at high speed. One moment you think empty, next moment there is a car on your butt. :o

True also la
I always check my mirrors so i know my surrounding
Checking of blind spot has become a habit to me liao
Everytime change lane will check
That time my colleague thought i was looking at her when i check my left blind spot :s13:

ZhuTou!

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Qn : How do you deal with jaywalkers like those blanga and ah neh at little india ? I want to drive safely and don't want to start another riot .

Drive slower and lookout for them
They walk and cross road is like their own road
Nothing much u can do

ZhuTou!

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many times in jam when I wanna switch lane, cannot see if there are bikes weaving between traffic... A bit dangerous... Any solution to this?

If u keep checking ur side/rear mirror
U will know if the bikers are coming or not
Make it a habit to check the mirrors more often

ZhuTou!

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
pls look at my replies in red.

He is correct for No.1
Look out for the car infront of u first before looking at the cars on the big road
Many people tends to check for cars on the big road when the car infront has not move out from the small road yet
If the front car jam brake and at the same time u are checking for cars on the big road
Bang liao lor

q w e r t ii

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
imo defensive driving is all about adapting to the situation you are in

about predicting what might happen next

Arsene_Wenger

Suspended
Reaction score
Thank you all for yr tips. Updated. Lets make our roads safer and better for all motorists.

Have a nice weekend.

Dragon

Administrator
Reaction score
True also la
I always check my mirrors so i know my surrounding
Checking of blind spot has become a habit to me liao
Everytime change lane will check
That time my colleague thought i was looking at her when i check my left blind spot :s13:

Then she got shift your gear stick? :o

mypillowtalks

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Right turn i will always wait till on coming vehicle stop before moving off. Some will chiong amber light.

If i approaching bus stops, i will slow down in case people cross in front of the bus. One example will be jurong west ave 5 near gekpoh shopping center. Quite dangerous, bus stop on curve road.

I will slow down before negotiating a bend, during the bend i will maintain my speed and dont do unnecessary braking. Got once i brake quite hard in a bend, almost loose control.

Slow down when approaching a curve or approaching top of a hill, got once in msia got car break down after the "top part" of a slope. Lucky never drive fast.

Keep a longer following distance if im tired. If i keep a longer distance, i can not only see the car in front of me, but a few cars ahead. This will allow me to brake when i see a few cars ahead brake.

Dont keep too close to empty trailers, once in msia trailer jam break in rainy day, empty trailer skid and slide out of lane.

figo16

Banned
Reaction score
When doing right turn at traffic light junction , I always either wait for the green arrow or wait until the opposite lane has no vehicle cause sometimes pedestrians and cyclist will dash across the road in the last min. If you are turning halfway and opposite lane got car then you gg liao. I don't care whether cars behind me horn or not .

I remember last time my driving instructor asked me to just turn even when pedestrians are dashing across the road :s22:.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
He is correct for No.1
Look out for the car infront of u first before looking at the cars on the big road
Many people tends to check for cars on the big road when the car infront has not move out from the small road yet
If the front car jam brake and at the same time u are checking for cars on the big road
Bang liao lor

ya, that's why i say after the car clear and you are on the line, then u check for the cars on the big road.

some cars looks like they are moving off but suddenly just stop with half the car body on the line. so if one's response is slow, will bang into the car in front.

so it's safer to just focus on the car in front.

there are also anal drivers that after turning out into the big road, puts on hazard lights and just stops after exiting on to the big road.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Right turn i will always wait till on coming vehicle stop before moving off. Some will chiong amber light.

If i approaching bus stops, i will slow down in case people cross in front of the bus. One example will be jurong west ave 5 near gekpoh shopping center. Quite dangerous, bus stop on curve road.

I will slow down before negotiating a bend, during the bend i will maintain my speed and dont do unnecessary braking. Got once i brake quite hard in a bend, almost loose control.

Slow down when approaching a curve or approaching top of a hill, got once in msia got car break down after the "top part" of a slope. Lucky never drive fast.

Keep a longer following distance if im tired. If i keep a longer distance, i can not only see the car in front of me, but a few cars ahead. This will allow me to brake when i see a few cars ahead brake.

Dont keep too close to empty trailers, once in msia trailer jam break in rainy day, empty trailer skid and slide out of lane.

i know what you talking. that bend there many people crossing one. v dangerous. should build fence on that area.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When doing right turn at traffic light junction , I always either wait for the green arrow or wait until the opposite lane has no vehicle cause sometimes pedestrians and cyclist will dash across the road in the last min. If you are turning halfway and opposite lane got car then you gg liao. I don't care whether cars behind me horn or not .

I remember last time my driving instructor asked me to just turn even when pedestrians are dashing across the road :s22:.

waiting till opposite lane got no cars is sensible. but if the car really is far away and you check there are no pedestrains, then just go la. why hog the road.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.