Microsoft Surface

otaku7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I have been following the forums. Was wondering if anyone did a SDD upgrade on a surface pro? Seems quite challenging. But, the original SDD from the Surface pro is really small.... given that there are 256 GB SDD floating a plenty available online.

i thought already done by some people online.
basically, read that it was really difficult and worrying experience to take the surface pro apart. but it becomes better after the second time...lol

basically they followed those tear-down guides like these ones:
Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown - iFixit

but becareful to read the guide and others to familiarise before trying. best to check if there's youtube guide.

coz i saw the "warning" that Microsoft used copious quantities of tar-like adhesive to hold the tablet together, a mess which required the iFixit team to use a heat gun and a handful of guitar picks to gain access to the guts of the device.

so, it wouldn't be that straight forward like popping out the case, loosen the screen, unscrew the motherboard and ssd...

Last edited:

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I have been following the forums. Was wondering if anyone did a SDD upgrade on a surface pro? Seems quite challenging. But, the original SDD from the Surface pro is really small.... given that there are 256 GB SDD floating a plenty available online.

Based on iFixIt Pro's comment, they couldn't open it without damaging something so I'd say it's impossible to upgrade a Surface. I guess the best thing to do is buy a fast micro-SDXC card for expansion.

otaku7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Based on iFixIt Pro's comment, they couldn't open it without damaging something so I'd say it's impossible to upgrade a Surface. I guess the best thing to do is buy a fast micro-SDXC card for expansion.

but, the surface's slot can support up to what capacity?

vesfreq

Reaction score
Oatku,

Read from surface forums that the usual upgrade is a 256 gb ssd. Its massive upgrade from the base capacity of 64gb and still quite a big upgrade for the 128gb spec surface pro.

Wish MS can do something like a power keyboard with battery upgrade and additional ssd within it. That would be wonderful. :( Guess not quite possible since it would end up competing with the newer pro 2 and surface 2. argh.

otaku7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oatku,

Read from surface forums that the usual upgrade is a 256 gb ssd. Its massive upgrade from the base capacity of 64gb and still quite a big upgrade for the 128gb spec surface pro.

Wish MS can do something like a power keyboard with battery upgrade and additional ssd within it. That would be wonderful. :( Guess not quite possible since it would end up competing with the newer pro 2 and surface 2. argh.

of course. the jump is huge.

but i don't think the reason they don't have a ssd/power keyboard/cover is due to possible competition with own line of product.

i think it is more of the issue of portability. the new power cover is already almost as heavy as the main unit itself. imagine a add-on which has ssd built-in, the thickness and weight might be a turn-off.

otaku7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
its best to just buy a device without modding it, imho,

just save up for surface pro 2 XD

lol...i'm looking to get the surface pro 2 256gb version.
given up on the pro 128 since it's practically oos in the whole of singapore.

Imperado

Reaction score
Depends on your technical skills. Most programmers in this forum can do it. For layperson it may not be so easy but it also depends on how many steps is required to pull this off.

I haven't gone to XDA to check since I don't have a Win RT but I think an x86 emulator running on a ARM CPU is not going to be very fast.

Bought an RT to do school work.. to realise it cant even load java to access blackboard.. wasted lol

enriqueyang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My friend regret buying this sia, Nexus 10 better.

its depends on the user, not the device =p

mayb rt version not that user friendly n etc, but the surface pro version is probably the best tablet ard

only surface pro 2 will dethrone and samsung note pro 12.2 can try to challenge

enriqueyang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lol...i'm looking to get the surface pro 2 256gb version.
given up on the pro 128 since it's practically oos in the whole of singapore.

im also hunting for surface pro 1

looks like we r the late adopter of surface pro 1 hha

koikoe

Reaction score
hmm why are people suddenly hunting for SP1? :s11:

although still not yet know when SP2 coming singapore....

noobiesg

Reaction score
IMHO, i rather get surface pro than surface 2.

surface pro really no stock?? today saw it at tech@vogue at vivocity. selling at $918 w/ free adapter .

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.