Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazingaman

Reaction score
Another item to add on top of this is, if the shares are with CDP, one can use "any broker" to sell. i.e. not only SCB but POEMS or Vickers or anyone.

But with SCB being the custodian, you must go through them.

I would say it is more of a perception by most traders and investors here.

CDP has been around for so long, and it has been associated with SGX, therefore it is perceived to be safe. To some, the very thought of shares being held by someone else other than CDP is considered "unsafe", and furthermore global banks had taken the flak due to the Great Recession period of 2008-2009.

Bedokian

Reaction score
Another item to add on top of this is, if the shares are with CDP, one can use "any broker" to sell. i.e. not only SCB but POEMS or Vickers or anyone.

But with SCB being the custodian, you must go through them.

Good point.

Just to provide an analogy, CDP is like a big "warehouse" where your goods (shares) are kept and you can authorise someone (brokerages) who has access to the warehouse to do the buying and selling for you. You can have many different "someones" but as long as they have access to the warehouse and your "goods" are in it, it is OK.

There are also other smaller warehouses (e.g. SCB's) where your goods are stored but only authorised personnel (i.e. SCB's only) can go in and buy/sell the goods for you.

The first thing when opening up a brokerage is to know which warehouse they use to store your goods. If you happen to have goods in one warehouse but instead ask another someone to go to another warehouse to sell the same goods (which you do not have in there the first place), it will become a short sell.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Good point.

Just to provide an analogy, CDP is like a big "warehouse" where your goods (shares) are kept and you can authorise someone (brokerages) who has access to the warehouse to do the buying and selling for you. You can have many different "someones" but as long as they have access to the warehouse and your "goods" are in it, it is OK.

There are also other smaller warehouses (e.g. SCB's) where your goods are stored but only authorised personnel (i.e. SCB's only) can go in and buy/sell the goods for you.

The first thing when opening up a brokerage is to know which warehouse they use to store your goods. If you happen to have goods in one warehouse but instead ask another someone to go to another warehouse to sell the same goods (which you do not have in there the first place), it will become a short sell.

to add on, over at the smaller warehouse, the shares actually belongs to their authorised personnel, you never know what are they doing with your goods kept inside too

does it sound like cpf :D

NeverDIe

Reaction score
Just done my first sell with SCB account. Realize that I have to pay 0.2% transaction fee also. It is the same case if using UOB Kayhian?

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just done my first sell with SCB account. Realize that I have to pay 0.2% transaction fee also. It is the same case if using UOB Kayhian?

but no minimun $25 and uobkh is 0.275%

cheers..

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
haha Yeah .. I know it is the cheapest liao :s13:.. Just didn't know that selling also have to pay charges.

If UOB Kayhian also charge during selling, we really save a hell lot of $$ :D

there are charges for buying or selling

only no charges for queueing

roz_sid

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wan to Q for a stock now but kena rejected. why ah? Market open monday when then can Q?

Flare

Reaction score
hows the platform now? has it been improved?

planning to start a fund with this as i got a SCB joint a/c

Yowzer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SCB, what is the requirements to open a trading account? Im pissed as I visited a branch with my money to open a trading account and was told I could not because:

1) I dont hold a degree
2) I dont have experience in trading
3) I dont work in related sector.

You didn't bring enough money to show them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.