Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windowlover

Reaction score
Hi needsomecash,
Could you help to confirm on Ch 8 & Ch U, when the Chinese subtitle is turned on, is all the Chinese characters displayed correctly? Thanks.

Chinese characters can turn on or off ? Are you using STB ? My set is using antenna only..

SilverLine

Reaction score
Chinese characters can turn on or off ? Are you using STB ? My set is using antenna only..

In analog broadcast, all the subtitles are embedded into the video, and there is no way viewer can remove them.

In digital broadcast, the subtitle can be separated from the video; one or more subtitle streams can accompany a single video stream. Just like watching DVD, viewers can select and manually switch it on or off it. In addition, for digital broadcast, viewer can also set the subtitle to be switch to the preferred subtitle language if available.

As long as it is a digital receiver, whether STB or iDTV, this subtitle feature is supported.

In the "old" DVB-T broadcast, the subtitles are broadcasted in the old analog way, so you will not be able to switch it off.

In the new DVB-T2 broadcast, the subtitles are in separate streams, so you can choose to switch off/on. As you can observe from the videos that needsomcash recorded, there are no subtitles being displayed on the video.

Last edited:

PoloBoiBoi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
embedded subtitles on DVB-T HD5 looks way better than the subtitle graphics stream from DVB-T2 HD5

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi needsomecash,
Could you help to confirm on Ch 5, Ch 8 & Ch U, when the Chinese subtitle is turned on, is all the Chinese characters displayed correctly? Thanks.

Edit: Ch 5 should also have separate Chinese subtitles. Btw, I do not have any DVB-T2 receivers, I am not able to confirm if it exist, by right it should be there.
I don't watch tv programmes but your questions raised some interesting observations.

With my Draco stb, while in T2 Chan U, pressing the subtitle button on the remote resulted in No Data message being shown on the screen. This message appeared even when subtitles, sometimes in both English and Chinese were being shown. The conclusion was that subtitles came embedded and there was no subtitle stream.

On Chan 8 HD, for subtitles, there were choices of English, Chinese and None. Regardless of my choice, the Chinese version appeared. So again the subtitle seemed to be in the video stream. There were subtitle streams but the content is blank.

For T2 Chan 5 HD, with the locally produced Point of Entry , there were subtitle options for English, Chinese and Malay (can't recall if there was an option for None). Choosing Chinese or Malay produced the corresponding subtitle while choice of English showed no subtitle.

So it looks like even though multiple language subtitle stream is provided for in the standard, whether you get it or not depends on the broadcaster. Of course, there is still the possibility of stb software bugs, as noted by you. Hopefully this can be ruled out by users of other T2 receivers.

Edit: For T2 5HD, there is also an option of None for subtitle. Actual availability of subtitle depends on source.

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
mrsun, can you post some videos taken using draco stb?
Sorry, I won't post. Recording is exactly the same transport stream as the original. What you see on Youtube are highly compressed versions, and the audio is converted to aac stereo only. They do not do justice to the original.

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I won't post. Recording is exactly the same transport stream as the original. What you see on Youtube are highly compressed versions, and the audio is converted to aac stereo only. They do not do justice to the original.
then upload to dropbox? just a short 1-2 mins clip would do

SilverLine

Reaction score
I don't watch tv programmes but your questions raised some interesting observations.

With my Draco stb, while in T2 Chan U, pressing the subtitle button on the remote resulted in No Data message being shown on the screen. This message appeared even when subtitles, sometimes in both English and Chinese were being shown. The conclusion was that subtitles came embedded and there was no subtitle stream.

On Chan 8 HD, for subtitles, there were choices of English, Chinese and None. Regardless of my choice, the Chinese version appeared. So again the subtitle seemed to be in the video stream. There were subtitle streams but the content is blank.

For T2 Chan 5 HD, with the locally produced Point of Entry , there were subtitle options for English, Chinese and Malay (can't recall if there was an option for None). Choosing Chinese or Malay produced the corresponding subtitle while choice of English showed no subtitle.

So it looks like even though multiple language subtitle stream is provided for in the standard, whether you get it or not depends on the broadcaster. Of course, there is still the possibility of stb software bugs, as noted by you. Hopefully this can be ruled out by users of other T2 receivers.

Edit: For T2 5HD, there is also an option of None for subtitle. Actual availability of subtitle depends on source.

Though it is an official launch since Dec 2013, it look more like it is still on trial mode :s8:? I guess maybe Mediacorp engineers are experimenting with their new equipment, and when they have "played" enough with the settings, we should be getting HD subtitles, and a more reliable & consistent experience in the future :s13:.

edwinz

Reaction score
oooh.. I go try this weekend...

Ah... USB recording works. Will post when I have time. It plays my video files too... Woo hoo.. Can retire my asus media player to streamline my devices

Update: video saved in mts format and no sound, probably need to fiddle with the settings. Cannot upload to photo bucket as format is not compatible.

Anyway, USB record is possible.

Last edited:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score

actually the "external subtitles" feature got no prob.
some chinese dramas (eg. hk tvb, taiwan etc.) already got embedded sub from producer (eg. hk tvb). so there are no DVB-T2 subtitles available.
some prog only got chinese sub, some only english sub, some no sub.
mediacorp does not put any indicators to tell u which language is available, that's why u r confused.

non-hd channels do not have subtitles feature yet. draco stb will show "sub" icon when u press "info" if the channel subtitle feature is available.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
actually the "external subtitles" feature got no prob.
some chinese dramas (eg. hk tvb, taiwan etc.) already got embedded sub from producer (eg. hk tvb). so there are no DVB-T2 subtitles available.
some prog only got chinese sub, some only english sub, some no sub.
mediacorp does not put any indicators to tell u which language is available, that's why u r confused.

non-hd channels do not have subtitles feature yet. draco stb will show "sub" icon when u press "info" if the channel subtitle feature is available.
Thanks for your info which may be helpful to some people. I was stating what I observed in response to the question from Silverline, who has no dvb t2 receiver, regarding the display of Chinese subtitle. At no time was I confused (you may have missed what I wrote last) :s13:
...Actual availability of subtitle depends on source.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Thanks for your info which may be helpful to some people. I was stating what I observed in response to the question from Silverline, who has no dvb t2 receiver, regarding the display of Chinese subtitle. At no time was I confused (you may have missed what I wrote last) :s13:

actually i didn't miss that line... u found out the conclusion after observation from draco stb behaviour.

from the words in bold, they give readers an impression that u r confused at first and didn't understand why the stb behaves like that. only after some testing and observation, u come to a conclusion and enlightened. :D

needsomecash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah... USB recording works. Will post when I have time. It plays my video files too... Woo hoo.. Can retire my asus media player to streamline my devices

Update: video saved in mts format and no sound, probably need to fiddle with the settings. Cannot upload to photo bucket as format is not compatible.

Anyway, USB record is possible.

open with vlc player, window media player dont have sound

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
actually i didn't miss that line... u found out the conclusion after observation from draco stb behaviour.

from the words in bold, they give readers an impression that u r confused at first and didn't understand why the stb behaves like that. only after some testing and observation, u come to a conclusion and enlightened. :D
This shows that carefully crafted comments can still be interpreted by a reader in a manner different from what the writer has intended. If I may use your reasoning, then every learning journey by students of knowledge (facts) [the word students includes scientists, mathematicians and every one], they are confused during the fact finding stage. When they have established the facts then they become enlightened.

...got to stop before modertor drop the guillotine.

leongws

Master Member
Reaction score
Is there a noticeable difference between 1080i and 1080p if I select tv resolution setting from the draco stb? Saw a post at dvb-t2 setup thread that by selecting 1080i, the signal intensity and quality is better than when selecting 1080p. Tried myself and indeed that's the case(mine cna, ch u, okto quality do fluctuate around 60+% with 1080p and causing intermittent freeze. With 1080i,it is constant around 98%)

pjs

Reaction score
Is there a noticeable difference between 1080i and 1080p if I select tv resolution setting from the draco stb? Saw a post at dvb-t2 setup thread that by selecting 1080i, the signal intensity and quality is better than when selecting 1080p. Tried myself and indeed that's the case(mine cna, ch u, okto quality do fluctuate around 60+% with 1080p and causing intermittent freeze. With 1080i,it is constant around 98%)
Local HD broadcasts are at 1080i resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.