Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoloBoiBoi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyway ... channel 8 + 2 ... you mean ppl wanna watch crap that are 2 hours late? :s22:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
2 way interactivity will require the receiver to have the capability to connect to the internet, dvb-t2 isnt designed to have a return channel
The predecessor used the telephone line

Teleview :forward path by broadcast channel, return by telephone line through modem. Primitive by today's standard but it worked.

Last edited:

SilverLine

Reaction score
The difficulty of such announcement, when one doesn't have a receiver, is the need to have others to verify it.

Yes, I confirm time shift is available. But not always, depending on the programme on air, an example is as shown in the pic below.

ceWHl.jpg
The issue is local. Either there is a bug in the box, or there is insufficient memory on the USB device, or you are not using a “good” quality USB device.

You can also try changing the PVR settings via the screen menu.
  • One of the option should allow you to turn on timeshift permanently. This mean the USB device is used as a timeshift buffer. Almost immediately after switching on the box, the box will write into the buffer without the need to press the PAUSE button. You can then rewind at anytime. When you change channel, it will auto delete the previous and start with the new channel. The disadvantage is that your USB devices is always working and hot to touch.
  • The other option is that it only starts timeshift when PAUSE button is pressed.

If you still have problem, you may want to contact the manufacturer for a resolution.

tan1688

Reaction score
Hi needsomecash,

I'm enquiring with the same seller you quoted. I asked if this model you bought supported dolby digital 5.1. He said no.

He referred me to another model which he said supported dolby digital 5.1. But some feedback in there reported heating problem.
Does mediacok transmit local programs in dolby digital ?
local content shows are all mono/stereo only ahr :s22:

or u mean old movie like "die hard" broadcast once a while
type, those old movie can get dvd/bluray if you need
dolby digital.

SilverLine

Reaction score
....... when one doesn't have a receiver, is the need to have others to verify it.
I am waiting for the DTV Assistance Scheme to be launched in September 2014. I look forward to seeing how the relevant sourcing teams manage the pricing of the 160,000~170,000 boxes that is required... hopefully by then the price of a certified box will drop significantly....

zenify.me

Reaction score
Nice exchanage of thoughts. Apparently there isn't much interest in the subject. Nonetheless I will write a few more comments.

As we share our thoughts, another external group of people, but not the only group, that may have good knowledge of the workings in an organisation come to my mind. These are the contractors that carry out works according to instructions from the organisation. These people have good details of actions taken. However, quite often for the same work carried out, it can be the result of different reasons. It is normal for people to rationalise the reason from their own perspective. So the contractors may get it wrong.

Next I turn my attention to the dissemination of information by organisations. MediaCorps FAQ for Digital TV stated that, for HDB residents: "If you do not subscribe to pay TV, you will not be able to receive MediaCorp digital TV signals through the wall socket TV/cable point."

It is recognised that MediaCorp is the expert on broadcast matters in Singapore, whereas HDB is the matv expert with 40 over years of experience. MediaCorp will not on its own come up with this information without the relevant input from HDB.

Sadly, this piece of information has been found inaccurate. See my prediction, which was proven correct and independantly verified by others in this forum. The explanations why it was so follows, in the spoiler.

Of course some people are happy that, for the time being, they are able to watch dvb-t2 without indoor antenna, before the matv is shut down.

Ability to receive dvb-t2 by MATV

Explanation for reception of dbv-t2 by MATV
Now I turn the attention to the statement, understood to come from a conversation with a reliable source. It is unfortunate that the reliable source won't be here to give us his perspective: "Reception via rooftop antenna for HDB may not work for all blocks with the rooftop antenna as some blocks have a frequency filter...What is not good about it however, is that it blocks digital signals..."

The fact speaks for itself. In spite of filters installed selectively for chan 28, 30 and 30, digital tv signals are still available, as explained in my ealier posts in the spoiler. There is no reason for some matv not to be able to receive chan28, 30 and 32 other than technical reason of the older system unable to support receptions in the UHF band.

The adjacent channel reception/interference is a well known effect for matv. But it doesn't mean everyone in the trade knows/understands it. That was why I was cautious and specially bought a Draco stb to confirm that my analysis was correct.

So I see the mistake by HDB/MediaCorp in saying that digital tv reception is not possible on matv as a careless but genuine mistake. I cannot see there is any intention to mislead.

On switching off of HDB matv eventually, this was an open secret. Since SCV started its roll out in early '90s, every HDB household affected had been individually informed that the matv would be switch off when the SCV roll out was completed. For those who can remember, the letter was signed by officers of HDB and MDA.

With the advent of digital tv, the switch off was delayed to take advantage of new technology. I can see that the matv switch off would be synchronised with the shut down of analogue tv broadcast, coordinated with Asean countries as announced. By then the matv becomes redundant. The switch off is easily achieved by shutting the electricity supply for the matv. There should be joint announcement then, perhaps by HDB/MDA again.

No doubt there is saving for HDB with the shut down for budgetting puposes. But who actually pays if the matv remains? You and me, the taxpayers.

Right, wrong, partially wrong, partially right. Readers decide.

The lack of official statements leaves me in a dilemma. It is obvious that matv's signal will be better than an indoor antenna's. I am required to relocated my TV to a position that makes the matv point inaccessible without an extension coaxial cable which I probably need to trunk as well.

it will be a waste of my time and money if I were to trunk the coaxial cable only to have the matv killed off along with the analogue broadcast in 2016.

on the other hand, if I invest in an indoor antenna and matv stays. I will be stuck with a inferior signal as compared to matv.

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update (AMK):
My mistake was that I plugged both the wall outlet and the Daiyo antenna (2 into 1 adapter) into the TV. I managed only to tuned to HD5 & Suria. I have just plugged the Daiyo antenna (1 to 1) to my TV and I can received all the digital channels.
Cheers

You antenna is placed indoor or at hang on window grill? AMK is suppose to have internal coverage.

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does mediacok transmit local programs in dolby digital ?
local content shows are all mono/stereo only ahr :s22:

or u mean old movie like "die hard" broadcast once a while
type, those old movie can get dvd/bluray if you need
dolby digital.

Hollywood movies broadcasted by dvb-T are all in dual sound, Dolby digital 5.1 or stereo. I recorded them before. So, if I switch to dvb-T2, I expect the same DD5.1.

So it will be helpful is someone help to confirm if the 2 tuner in my original post support Dolby digital 5.1 output to receiver via hdmi.

If you playback the recorded media with xbmc, it will tells you it's dd5.1 or not.

But,I am interested to know if those two tuner boxes can output dd5.1 to receiver via hdmi directly. Thanks.

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But,I am interested to know if those two tuner boxes can output dd5.1 to receiver via hdmi directly. Thanks.

Refer to the post here by Kiwi8. If I'm not wrong, he's using the one which the supplier said which supports 5.1.

I did check with him too, and the recordings were in 5.1 (according to the properties of the video file), but not sure if it's the case with direct HDMI.

b00mxer

Reaction score
hmmm ... 9PM drama will be shown at 11PM on +2 ... but then 9pm drama's rating isnt that great recently

Apparently the channel Ch 8+1 is on subtitles test run. It's currently running the 7pm HK drama subtitles.

htxug3.jpg

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
The issue is local. Either there is a bug in the box, or there is insufficient memory on the USB device, or you are not using a “good” quality USB device.

You can also try changing the PVR settings via the screen menu.
  • One of the option should allow you to turn on timeshift permanently. This mean the USB device is used as a timeshift buffer. Almost immediately after switching on the box, the box will write into the buffer without the need to press the PAUSE button. You can then rewind at anytime. When you change channel, it will auto delete the previous and start with the new channel. The disadvantage is that your USB devices is always working and hot to touch.
  • The other option is that it only starts timeshift when PAUSE button is pressed.

If you still have problem, you may want to contact the manufacturer for a resolution.
As I said, it works sometimes, not always, depending on the programme. On that day at the time of testing, all HD channel could not time shift.

Just tested on DVB-T2, time shift works on all HD and SD. But DVB-T 5HD doesn't. How do you explain that?

That why I said if you have your own STB, you can confirm without relying on others.

I am using a 16G Scandisk thumb drive permanently attached. I have recorded previously a programme lasting 35min.

My PVR Setting
  • Time Shift Auto (Auto/Pause/Off)
  • Time Shift to Record On (On/Off)
  • PS Record On (On/Off)

Anyway, this is just a new toy for me. No serious use for it.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
The lack of official statements leaves me in a dilemma. It is obvious that matv's signal will be better than an indoor antenna's. I am required to relocated my TV to a position that makes the matv point inaccessible without an extension coaxial cable which I probably need to trunk as well.

it will be a waste of my time and money if I were to trunk the coaxial cable only to have the matv killed off along with the analogue broadcast in 2016.

on the other hand, if I invest in an indoor antenna and matv stays. I will be stuck with a inferior signal as compared to matv.
Will this info help you better in your decision?

Quote: "Singapore will complete the switchover from analogue to digital broadcasting by 2020, in line with ASEAN’s agreed timeframe for making the switch."

Full text here:
http://www.mda.gov.sg/AboutMDA/NewsReleasesSpeechesAndAnnouncements/Pages/SpeechDetail.aspx?speech=5

tan1688

Reaction score
stays. I will be stuck with a inferior signal as compared to matv.

This is not correct, i use a cheapo passive dipole antenna,
for my room TV, the signal quality strength displayed using
china receiver shows 100% for channel 8(HD) CH5- 98%
OKTO all others 97-100%.

For digital broadcast even at 10% signal quality there is no difference to one at 100% signal quality, i tested before by shifting the antenna

PoloBoiBoi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is not correct, i use a cheapo passive dipole antenna,
for my room TV, the signal quality strength displayed using
china receiver shows 100% for channel 8(HD) CH5- 98%
OKTO all others 97-100%.

For digital broadcast even at 10% signal quality there is no difference to one at 100% signal quality, i tested before by shifting the antenna

10% same as 100%? sure or not ?

my receiver less than 60% strength already starting to skip frames and distorted pixellation liao

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
what PVR u r using? can share?

any recorder can record Transport Stream (TS) format?

TS and TP is better

As I said, it works sometimes, not always, depending on the programme. On that day at the time of testing, all HD channel could not time shift.

Just tested on DVB-T2, time shift works on all HD and SD. But DVB-T 5HD doesn't. How do you explain that?

That why I said if you have your own STB, you can confirm without relying on others.

I am using a 16G Scandisk thumb drive permanently attached. I have recorded previously a programme lasting 35min.

My PVR Setting
  • Time Shift Auto (Auto/Pause/Off)
  • Time Shift to Record On (On/Off)
  • PS Record On (On/Off)

Anyway, this is just a new toy for me. No serious use for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.