Microsoft Surface

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just ordered my s2 with student offer! Really excited to receive it and unbox it!!

picagen

Reaction score
i really think the surface pro 2 wins hands down. power of a desktop and laptop (for work) and the portability of a tablet.

WIN! how much is it over there? can tompang? haha

Don't really agree with you, SP2 don't win hands down. The dell venue 11 pro is also "power of a desktop and laptop (for work) and the portability of a tablet" too..

Cons
-------
It has a choice of i5 haswell or a i3 haswell cpu.. Lost to SP2(its the haswell Y-series compared to the U-series by SP2)
SP2 uses watcom, dell uses synaptic(the pen have to buy)

Pros
-------
But its has a slightly bigger screen 10.8" FullHD vs 10.6" FullHD
It has a removable battery,
it can have 3G or 4G(depends on type) [also with GPS]
the wifi card and the SSD is user accessible
Currently local warranty is supported by Dell Singapore. (SP2, until singapore launch it, there is no local warranty for SP2.)

Its your choice... :)

Reaction score
I just ordered my s2 with student offer! Really excited to receive it and unbox it!!

I am a student as well. How does the student offer work when ordering the Surface 2 online?

From the online store:

"This academic offer for eligible students, faculty, and staff requires verification of eligibility prior to purchase and is subject to limitations."

What's the buying process like?

Imperado

Reaction score
eh im using surface RT.. cannot load blackboard leh.. already updated to 8.1 and using IE 11.. added/remove the URL to compatibility view but still cannot

Livewings

Master Member
Reaction score
May I noe y?

Worst of Tablet (Windows Store severely lacking comparing to Android or iOS)
Worst of Laptop (You can't even run 3rd party desktop apps (Photoshop, WinRAR, AutoCAD etc) since this is promoted as a hybrid)

So indefinitely, this is the worst product of the worst combination.
Get the Surface Pro series instead. At least, the desktop side is much better there.

md iszaki

Reaction score
eh im using surface RT.. cannot load blackboard leh.. already updated to 8.1 and using IE 11.. added/remove the URL to compatibility view but still cannot

Mine work flawlessly on surface2. Have u tried contacting the helpdesk?

md iszaki

Reaction score
Worst of Laptop (You can't even run 3rd party desktop apps (Photoshop, WinRAR, AutoCAD etc) since this is promoted as a hybrid)

Get the Surface Pro series instead. At least, the desktop side is much better there.

A bit harsh to say its the worst, but nonetheless fair points made my friend.

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Well. You are right, but you gotta know why I purchased this crappy s2. I own an ultra book(it's very light alr, but just too big for my bag), I also own a Samsung note 10.1 for my entertainment, and lastly the s2 is just there for me to use the Microsoft Office easily when I'm in school for assignment and presentation.

Thanks for the heads up anyway!! Your remarks are definitely useful when it comes to a person who's looking for his first tablet.

Might be the worst for first time tablet user but not for a person who owns multiple gadgets.

Last edited:

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am a student as well. How does the student offer work when ordering the Surface 2 online?

From the online store:

"This academic offer for eligible students, faculty, and staff requires verification of eligibility prior to purchase and is subject to limitations."

What's the buying process like?
Microsoft verifies your student eligibility by sending an email to your school email and all you have to do is to access your sch email and verify it. The second way to verify is to submit your identification document which will take 3-5 working days.

Livewings

Master Member
Reaction score
Well. You are right, but you gotta know why I purchased this crappy s2. I own an ultra book(it's very light alr, but just too big for my bag), I also own a Samsung note 10.1 for my entertainment, and lastly the s2 is just there for me to use the Microsoft Office easily when I'm in school for assignment and presentation.

Thanks for the heads up anyway!! Your remarks are definitely useful when it comes to a person who's looking for his first tablet.

In that case, you have bought the perfect tablet for casual work with Microsoft Office.
Didn't know your case. I apologise for that.
Congratulations on your purchase. :)

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In that case, you have bought the perfect tablet for casual work with Microsoft Office.
Didn't know your case. I apologise for that.
Congratulations on your purchase. :)

You don't have to apologize in fact. Its true that surface 2 can't run legacy programs like photoshop or any games. Microsoft just plainly don't understand their consumers if compared with Apple. I was held back by this actually. LOL

porcu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, even the Surface RT is now a very affordable and respected MSOffice device!

Problem is S Pro or Pro2 is that the MSOffice suite doesn't come free....that's a bummer.

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, even the Surface RT is now a very affordable and respected MSOffice device!

Problem is S Pro or Pro2 is that the MSOffice suite doesn't come free....that's a bummer.

Challengers is clearing their RT Set now at around $300. I saw that yesterday, nobody wants RT. What they promised isn't there.

Livewings

Master Member
Reaction score
You don't have to apologize in fact. Its true that surface 2 can't run legacy programs like photoshop or any games. Microsoft just plainly don't understand their consumers if compared with Apple. I was held back by this actually. LOL

Microsoft is clearly delusioned with their glory of the past. #microsoftfail

#microsoftfail

Their dumb logic. Pro should have came with Office for free. It's a PROOOOOOOOOOOOOO tablet for crying out loud. Another thing their keyboard which is the CENTER of Surface is priced beyond ridiculous proportions. HOW STUPID CAN THEY BE.

#microsoftfailsAGAIN

porcu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone looking for the cable to charge your Surface,
Go ebay and search, " power charger cable for surface".

Just bought one. Supposedly able to work with powerbanks that support 12v out.

expositox

Reaction score
How does warranty work?? I went to Microsoft's warranty site and set up a warranty, they said they were gonna contact me the next business day to arrange a pick up schedule. A week since then, no email.
Am I supposed to just bring it down to the service center or something?

Tia.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.