EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Sigma, you're right - it's Walter's work. I took notice of his work 2 years ago, he had just started making knives in his free time. He didn't do flippers then. Now, his books are closed, wait list is 3 years, he does flippers (no S90V, sorry cheng =:p), uses bearings (hello mamba =:p), prices have doubled from the maker and his aftermarket is almost double his asking etc.

The blade shape is harpoonish + ulu-ish.

All his work is original - I especially like his Wyvern, which is a little more conventional.

BTW, did you grab that Southard? Grab it so I can play with it. I've been hunting for a Southard at a good price for a long time...I want to send it out for pimping as Brad's books are closed for a long time already - I missed the last few slots last year, sigh. Only way is to go to shows, and that is quite a tall challenge for me. I think the aftermarket at 300-400% is out of my dreams even, lol.

Last edited:

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Sigma, you're right - it's Walter's work. I took notice of his work 2 years ago, he had just started making knives in his free time. He didn't do flippers then. Now, his books are closed, wait list is 3 years, he does flippers (no S90V, sorry cheng =:p), uses bearings (hello mamba =:p), prices have doubled from the maker and his aftermarket is almost double his asking etc.

The blade shape is harpoonish + ulu-ish.

All his work is original - I especially like his Wyvern, which is a little more conventional.

BTW, did you grab that Southard? Grab it so I can play with it. I've been hunting for a Southard at a good price for a long time...I want to send it out for pimping as Brad's books are closed for a long time already - I missed the last few slots last year, sigh. Only way is to go to shows, and that is quite a tall challenge for me. I think the aftermarket at 300-400% is out of my dreams even, lol.

Knew it! I started following him on Instagram lately. His works are definitely very special. I like his pivot inlays (I'm a sucker for that). I notice he uses Zirc pretty often too.

Haven't grabbed the southard. The seller originally intend to deal CONUS only, so I'm still persuading. Have yet to hear from him as he's probably asleep then. It's a really good price though! But my finances are tight; just spent $200++ today at KKH for check up! If I pass on that, I'll hit you up for dibs. :) I also contacted a seperate American that did a Ti scale for his (not liner delete), looks pretty darn sick IMO!

Now I'm taking more notice of Andre thorburn and Andre Van Heerden. Their A2 collab is worth a look, front flipper does look interesting. The grind is somewhat similar to Brad southard's several models. I wonder what's the price like.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
the South African makers offer value for money. Their flipper tab design needs refinement though.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
the South African makers offer value for money. Their flipper tab design needs refinement though.

I like the designs they offer now. Not over the top, very practical. I can see their value as EDC blades while still looking pretty darn chic.

Anyway, I have a few lobangs that came up. Pohan Leh Bluephin US$550, Will Zerumo Azreal US$450, Allen Elishewitz Spartha US$750, Chris Reeves Umnumzan murdered by Phantom Steel Bladeworks US800, Curtiss F3 US$650 and Medford Praetorian G US$750. So tempted by the praetorian and F3!

Last edited:

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Guys, now I'm a little lost...
Should I get a Spyderco Manix 2 XL for US$103 or should I get a Boker Exskelimoor for US$50?

I don't intend to hard use it anytime soon. The manix seems like a nice choice for usability and durability. Much superior in every way other than price. But the exskelimoor looks too good and the grind is seriously bonkers for a start. Great little slicer and seems pleasing to the eye.

squarebox

Reaction score
Guys, now I'm a little lost...
Should I get a Spyderco Manix 2 XL for US$103 or should I get a Boker Exskelimoor for US$50?

I don't intend to hard use it anytime soon. The manix seems like a nice choice for usability and durability. Much superior in every way other than price. But the exskelimoor looks too good and the grind is seriously bonkers for a start. Great little slicer and seems pleasing to the eye.

Dont forget to add this awesomeness to your cart as well :X
SZPOveu.jpg

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Dont forget to add this awesomeness to your cart as well :X
SZPOveu.jpg

Haha. I'm not a fan of victorinox for some reason...
I'm definitely adding a kershaw crown to the cart though! For $15, what can go wrong! :D
But I'm still very much torn between the manix and exskelimoor :(

squarebox

Reaction score
Haha. I'm not a fan of victorinox for some reason...
I'm definitely adding a kershaw crown to the cart though! For $15, what can go wrong! :D
But I'm still very much torn between the manix and exskelimoor :(

I feel that the Manix is a far superior performer for the same monies. S30V + Spyderco quality vs 440C + Boker questionable quality... but if you're using as a dress knife, Boker exskelimoor wood would be fancier...

I'd still pick the Manix. Wait for the S110V Manix?
0FxCUke.jpg

Last edited:

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
I feel that the Manix is a far superior performer for the same monies. S30V + Spyderco quality vs 440C + Boker questionable quality... but if you're using as a dress knife, Boker exskelimoor wood would be fancier...

I'd still pick the Manix. Wait for the S110V Manix?
0FxCUke.jpg

Saw on Instagram that some people already have the 110V manix. Not that keen though; sub-super steels are not very practical for me since my sharpening is probably good enough for sandvik only. :D and I find the manix a little small, the xl seems like my kind of blade, though I may consider the regular too. But the biggest trade off for the S110V is the pinned construction. A definite no-no for me. I like to be able to take things apart to inspect, clean and modify. Keyword here is modify. :D

sojourn88

Reaction score
I have the boker plus Gent. The workmanship is inferior even for the wood..some area blurrish some areas polished and its surface is uneven.. liner lockup is at late 90+%..will get play very sooon if flip afew more times. All boker plus are made in china. Not sure the eskilimoor..if it is a boker plus the workmanship wont be good.

I have a cheaper spyderco tenacious which is far far better quality and workmanahip than the boker plus.

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
sigma, save the $$ for the kiddo :)

but if you must, I'd say spyderco is better than boker. Boker has great collabs but the QC is not always spot on. I don't know much about Manixes (had one, hated the lock, hated the peelply and it was way too big for me) but it'd be nice to try S110V. Can't sharpen? just send it to razoredge....they have a belt sander too. Actually those with edgepros and wicked edges should be able to help you out too. I don't think my waterstones are effective on those supersteels. Aogami is ok :s13:

speaking of which, I handled a shirogorov F95 for the first time today and it's like WOW. Worth the $1000 values it's fetching in the market. It just feels solid. Makes my humble CRKT Fossil feel like a toy :s13::s13::s13:

I need that Victorinox Alox......damn.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
I have the boker plus Gent. The workmanship is inferior even for the wood..some area blurrish some areas polished and its surface is uneven.. liner lockup is at late 90+%..will get play very sooon if flip afew more times. All boker plus are made in china. Not sure the eskilimoor..if it is a boker plus the workmanship wont be good.

I have a cheaper spyderco tenacious which is far far better quality and workmanahip than the boker plus.

I do have a boker mini vanquish and I agree that the workmanship is less than desirable. Also have a endura 4 which is much better made but I hated it for 2 reasons.
1) DLC blade
2) combo edge.
The knife was given to me by my uncle from California.

Now that you guys have mentioned, help me decide which is better; manix or manix xl. :D

squarebox

Reaction score
I do have a boker mini vanquish and I agree that the workmanship is less than desirable. Also have a endura 4 which is much better made but I hated it for 2 reasons.
1) DLC blade
2) combo edge.
The knife was given to me by my uncle from California.

Now that you guys have mentioned, help me decide which is better; manix or manix xl. :D

Prefer the design of the XL :s22:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
just took a look at the video. Hmmm...if only the T4 had a 3.5" blade, then it would be ''balls to the wall", IMO :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.