Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
er... how to check if my tv got built-in DVB T2 tuner?

no idea what model the tv is, only know is LG plasma tv.

As your is plasma, very unlikely. Is best to check with the model number to confirm. Only models from 2nd half of 2013 has DVB-T2. For LG, it usually ended up with T as last character of the model number.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard the random tick sounds on ch 8 HD On mio....I Thot it was my TV problem.

Yes, that is the one. I though is my TV problem too. You can hear the same from MSN. So it looks like a source problem and nothing to do with tuner or TV.

It has been like that for more then 1 month.

tuckloong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The original purpose when I purchase my DVB-T2 STB was for this.
But it has not been successful thus far, yet.

In fact, Batam (Indonesia) has started transmitting in DVB-T2!
But their rollout have been glitchy. Transmission on and off air. Data (channel no) have been not consistent.

The ERP from their transmission tower seems not that strong.
If you are in the East Coast area, have higher chance.

1 or 2 of the frequency used also seems to clash with analog frequency of some Malaysia TV stations.

Ya East coast area high rise can see le...

hwsinn

Reaction score
I'm using the V type cheapo antenna and have same encountered like you when I use first few days... This antenna cannot bent fully as the copper wires is very thin connection to antenna by soldering. End up I need to dismantle and solder it again... after that it is OK.. maybe wires was broken so this connection is on/off.. do try to solder it if possible.

i find it hard to solder as some connecting sections too "tight". My old V antenna is from a almost 20 yrs old tv. And the antenna was left untouched till 5 yrs ago.

You may wish to try my prototype which I just made:

Step 1, strip off about 12 cm of insulation from one end of a suitable coaxial cable, as shown
cbUXHsK.jpg

Step 2, separate the centre conductor and the screen wire and twist the screen wire together. There is no need to remove the insulation of the centre conductor if there is no copper foil or aluminum foil covering the insulation. Bend the centre conductor and the screen to form a "T" as shown
21KCGqm.jpg

The results of the reception as used for my Draco in the living room:

Chan 27 >90/98 (Signal Intensity/Picture Quality)
Chan 29 >90/98
Chan 31 >90/98
Chan 33 >90/98
Chan 38 >60/98
So basically i just need to cut off the other end of the coaxial cable and just "extend" it by doing the "T"? And do i need to solder?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

So basically i just need to cut off the other end of the coaxial cable and just "extend" it by doing the "T"? And do i need to solder?
No soldering is required on the "T" end. I suppose you know what to do at the end that is to be connected to the tv.

Just a word of caution, the unbraiding of the strands of screening wire can be tedious. And have some old newspaper to collect the broken stray strands while doing the job.

tan1688

Reaction score
Do you have 100% Receive Signal Strength ?

Do you all have 100% Receive Signal Strength ?
hahaha :s13:

Look at bottom on TV the 20dbi DVB USB powered antenna, get from me, private msg me. When you get from me attach DVB antenna to back of TV would not be unsightly.

CH5 (HD) - 100%
channel5%2528HD%2529.jpg

CH8 (HD) - 100%
Channel+8+%2528HD%2529.jpg

Suria (HD) - 100%
Suria+%2528HD%2529.jpg

Vasantham (HD) - 100%
Vasantham+%2528HD%2529.jpg

Last edited:

iamlenon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

tan1688

Reaction score
Tips about buying a DVB-T2 tuner overseas.
Not all DVB-T2 tuner set top will work in Singapore. It has to support DVB-T2 version 1.3.1. Older versions will NOT work in Singapore.

Another advice:
I brought in many sets but have to RMA many back as well
due to hardware/firmware, HDMI etc not working, the costs to
ship back and forth, faint :eek: not enough to breakeven :(
RMA=Returned Material Authorization

PRC quality, products, attitude have not changed much,
quality is a hit and miss, you might be lucky or sway.

Get from me fully tested, see my thread. Do you know what
happens to those products RMA back to them ?
Resell again ? :s13: PRC attitude have not changed much.

Last edited:

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
hi, i am using 42LN570T model tv
i have check with http://www.mda.gov.sg/PublicEducation/DigitalTvConsumers/Pages/LabellingScheme.aspx
and it is shown to have DVB-T2 support

btw i dun haf pay tv subscription
i have tried auto scanning and manual, but cannot receive any HD channels
the tv antenna is connected from the starhub tv terminal point to my video recorder, den to my tv

any advice?

The StarHub TV terminal point can't receive DVB-T2 signals, only analog and DVB-C signals so means your LG TV can't receive any HD channels. If you want T2 signals, get an indoor digital antenna or if you have the MATV point around your TV area, you could try it too.

:)

iamlenon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The StarHub TV terminal point can't receive DVB-T2 signals, only analog and DVB-C signals so means your LG TV can't receive any HD channels. If you want T2 signals, get an indoor digital antenna or if you have the MATV point around your TV area, you could try it too.

i see
MATV point meaning the old TV antenna?
psw122.gif

this 1?

just confirming, if i have a digital ready tv, i still need to get another device to be able to receive DVB-T2 signal?

the commercial on the TV make it sounds like got digital ready tv can dun nid buy any extra gadget/device

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
i see
MATV point meaning the old TV antenna?
psw122.gif

this 1?

just confirming, if i have a digital ready tv, i still need to get another device to be able to receive DVB-T2 signal?

the commercial on the TV make it sounds like got digital ready tv can dun nid buy any extra gadget/device

Yup, can be said that MATV is the old antenna. The point would look similar to the image you provided.

If you have a TV that is DVB-T2 digital ready, you just need to buy an indoor digital antenna and you are all ready! If you have MATV, you can try using it to scan for digital DVB-T2 / T channels.

tan1688

Reaction score
Got a bro asked on the standard definiton broadcast CHU, CNA, OKTO here you are, See top left hand of TV for DVB antenna
CHU- 100%
channelu.jpg

CNA - 100%
cna.jpg

OKTO-100%
okto.jpg

CH5 (HD) -100% once again
ch5.jpg

CH8 (HD) -100% once again
ch8.jpg

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm from what i gather MDA/IDA states that HDB MATV officially does not support DVB-T2 but bros have been reporting some estates receiving DVB-T2 channels fine via HDB MATV while others are not successful...but IMO no harm trying it out 1st before throwing $$ on other solutions :p

tuckloong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm from what i gather MDA/IDA states that HDB MATV officially does not support DVB-T2 but bros have been reporting some estates receiving DVB-T2 channels fine via HDB MATV while others are not successful...but IMO no harm trying it out 1st before throwing $$ on other solutions :p

I can receive channel 5, 8 , suria, vasantham hd via matv but channel u, cna, and okto signal strength still no good....in the end use external antenna...now happy...can even receive Indonesia channels ;)

tan1688

Reaction score
I can receive channel 5, 8 , suria, vasantham hd via matv but channel u, cna, and okto signal strength still no good....in the end use external antenna...now happy...can even receive Indonesia channels ;)

Another satisfied customer :D

I am glad that you will escape singtel/starhub $112.35 / 24-month contract chop for 2014 FIFA World Cup pack.

Kindly see my thread here if you require dvbt2 receivers/antennas.

To add CHU, CNA, OKTO are all clubbed together on single 522MHz frequency, probably using 256QAM since just standard definiton, how could anyone receive it well ?:s8:

Also mediacorpse does not broadcast AAC5.1 channels, only stereo DD+/AAC is what you get, verified on X-Men 26Apr14 8pm.

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Do you all have 100% Receive Signal Strength ?
hahaha :s13:

For comparison of performance of different antennae, signal level of 100% doesn't mean very much. What is the absolute value in dB?

A different stb or tv set which shows signal level of 90% using a different antenna, for example, may have a signal strength of absolute value higher than your 100%.

For comparison of performance of differenct antennae without a signal level meter, it is meaningful only if you repeat the same test for the other types of antennae using the same stb, and place the respective antennae in exactly the same location.

For the signal quality measurement, the same argument applies.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
I can receive channel 5, 8 , suria, vasantham hd via matv but channel u, cna, and okto signal strength still no good...
I am not sure whether you have mixed up the SD channels' signal strength with the perceived poor quality because they are SD instead of HD.

Please do a manual scan for the following channels and record the Signal Strength/Picture Quality using matv:

Chan 27
Chan 29
Chan 31
Chan 33

This will enable us to see if there is anything wrong with the matv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.