Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry1990

Reaction score
Got saw one antenna which say : "Support DVB-T2" at IMM there, don't know how much isit. The shop
is at beside CyberActive there.

hwsinn

Reaction score
Did you salvage the cable from your rabbit antenna?

Here is another pic of a typical coaxial cable (RG 59) (mine is the RG6 type):
400px-RG-59.jpg

This particular cable does not have a screening metal foil for the inner conductor. Soldering of the screen wire is optional.

The coax cable u shown is a normal coax cable...more like those connected to the SCV point one.

Those V antennas (or rabbit antenna) are very low cost (both my old and other V antenna use those thin strains of copper like hair) and do not use coax. And the connector is the male version of those behind the tv

I will try to look for some cables and maybe DIY with the connector head. May i check if those electrical wire will work? Like those black/red insulation cables (inside is probably also strains of copper wires)

iamlenon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, i am back again
using 42LN570T model tv which has DVB-T2 support

i have tried MATV point, but with no luck

i tried digging out my old tv antenna and connect to my tv
1. indoor testing, cannot receive any channel
2. outdoor testing, i left my antenna at the corridor, received some 2 HD channel but no images on screen
3. carry my antenna at the corridor facing the sky, able to receive all channels with no quality problem

from this thread, i have seen ppl received strong signal with the antenna indoor
can anybody recommend me antenna that i can use indoor ?
as it is quite impossible for me to wire my antenna outside :o

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
I think it has got to do with location problem. Personally I also cannot get good signal with antenna indoor.

tan1688

Reaction score
bro, you need a powered antenna with built in amplifier. mine is 20dbi usb powered, which amplifies 10 times the signal received.

You could go mustafa, ntuc, hardware store find those powered type with high amplifier gain e.g 100dbi = 100 000 times the signal receive though also amplify the noise. If you like to try out my antenna on my thread kindly msg me. if no work then you can return and i refund back is all right troublesome though.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

I will try to look for some cables and maybe DIY with the connector head. May i check if those electrical wire will work? Like those black/red insulation cables (inside is probably also strains of copper wires)
If you have spare electrical cable, no harm trying. Untwist about 12 cm of the cable to form the "T". No need to strip the insulation. Right now I don't have a male IEC plug for the tv connection to test out. Will try to improvise one when I am in the mood.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
A tip for those DIY dipole antenna, there is a mistake, recommend
to tune to 522MHz. See sites on the internet the half wave length should be 147/522Mhz = 28cm
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMFxMqF-we5yp6wny8MxJH5BfQ4vZrhLAel0uETlVecUetoYQAhI9d0EBR
There is no mistake. 522MHz is the centre frequency of chan 27. Ignoring reception for chan 38, the antenna made for Singapore should cater for the reception of chans 27, 29, 31 and 33. The centre frequency for these four channels is 546Mhz. Half wave length minus about 5% = 150/546 x 0.95 = 26 cm.

Note: the 5% reduction is only a guide. Actual deduction depends on a lot of factors - for academic interests only.

If one wishes to cater for chan 38, then the dipole has to be shorten.

In any case, the exact length is not critical. My prototype eventually had a dipole length of 16 cm only. And it works:s13:

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
One advantage of buying approved set top box from local trader/supplier, compared to buying from overseas, is that even if no warranty is expressly given, the buyer is still covered by Lemon Law.

iamlenon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bro, you need a powered antenna with built in amplifier. mine is 20dbi usb powered, which amplifies 10 times the signal received.

You could go mustafa, ntuc, hardware store find those powered type with high amplifier gain e.g 100dbi = 100 000 times the signal receive though also amplify the noise. If you like to try out my antenna on my thread kindly msg me. if no work then you can return and i refund back is all right troublesome though.

cache.php

i am using a powered antenna similar to above

the tv receive images only when i place it outside facing the sky :(

Windowlover

Reaction score
I have used V antenna for about 2~3 month already to receive HD channel. So far it is OK. It there any different for quality of images as sometime I checked the signal quality is 50~60%. But images is still steady and clear. :s22:

tan1688

Reaction score

I suggest you hook this type or equivalent catv amplifier to the matv point, available at hardware stores, sim lim tower, a bit costly though

catv_signal_amplifier_8830fl9_1583912.jpg

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
from this thread, i have seen ppl received strong signal with the antenna indoor
can anybody recommend me antenna that i can use indoor ?
as it is quite impossible for me to wire my antenna outside :o

Just to repeat for those new to this thread, there r indoor n outdoor coverage for dvb t2. Just wait for ur area to have indoor coverage ready n u will be able to recv dvbt2 easily anywhere in ur house.

Last edited:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
today i tested the DD/DD+ surround for 5HD on my 5.1 Home Theatre System (HTS).
i watched the 5hd afternoon movie "dirty dancing" on my starhub ch155 and confirmed it is broadcasted in surround 5.1 (the conversation comes from my HTS center speaker, all 5 speakers got diff sound.)
then i used my draco dvb-t2 stb to record the same movie in TS format and plugged it into the same HTS. confirmed that DD+ (sound 3) audio can work on my HTS (i think it's due to DD backward compatibility). dolby logo is displayed on HTS, and conversation comes from my HTS center speaker, all 5 speakers got diff sound.

as for AAC5.1 (eng) audio track, only front L/R speakers got sound, sound is good just without surround (maybe due to HTS cannot support 6-channels AAC).
for AAC (sound 2) audio track, normal stereo is heard. the sound is louder and feels like it's downmixed sound.
also played my 8HD recordings through the HTS. AAC5.1 and AAC same behaviour as 5HD.

Windowlover

Reaction score
There is a new channel under "Test 1" display, showing some site seeing places no idea what channel suppose to name it.:s11:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
I have used V antenna for about 2~3 month already to receive HD channel. So far it is OK. It there any different for quality of images as sometime I checked the signal quality is 50~60%. But images is still steady and clear. :s22:
That's the beauty of dvb-t and t2 technology. You will always see perfect picture even when the signal is less than perfect. If the signal drops below the threshold, the picture just freezes. There may be occasional pixelation just before picture freezes. I supposed you have not come across such situation yet.

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
cache.php

This is proof that in spite of claims, indoor antenna may not work everywhere. A lot depends on ambient signal.

Edit: are you talking about analogue or digital signal?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.